Skyrim crashes randomly, tried all recommended fixes.

zoe23323

Fair enough. Well, there is one last-ditch thing you could try. I know you said you verified your game cache, but you could try moving your Skyrim directory (as a back up) and downloading it again, to be sure it is completely clean. Then, test it out and see if (with no mods--not even texture replacers) you get the same issue. If so, it might be an operating system, driver, or other issue.

Also, do you have a lot of loose files in your Skyrim directory? That can cause problem.

Edit: We'll have to agree to disagree on Get Snowy. Because, well, you're wrong. :smile:

at a quick look it can be 3 reasons: vram getting maxed out, ram maxed out(you may have 6 gb of ram but you will never use more than 3gb)and running too many script mods...

but first i would start by cleaning your master files(update, dawnguard, hearthfire and dragonborn)gopher as a video for that :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw3g_N1jcZQ

next download http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/6491//? and check how much ram and vram you are using

if your vram and ram are ok then it may be running to many scripts and then i would start by disabling a couple of script intensive modes(frostfall, enhanced blood, footprints, wet and cold etc)remember to check the mod pages to see if you need to do anything else other than just disabling the esp

I cleaned all of my master files like you said, and I also used the performance monitor. I'm not sure what it means, but my VRAM never moved from 0 MB and my RAM got up to a maximum of 2,794 MB. Again, not really good with computers, so I have no idea if that's too much. In any case, this is the first time I've been able to actually get to Riverwood and not crash. Managed to get all the way to Whiterun and start talking to the Jarl before it CTD. I'm guessing that means I have too many script intensive mods. Can you suggest some to disable? I'd really rather not disable Frostfall and Wet and Cold, but I will disable Footprints and Enhanced Blood.

i may be wrong but your ram usage may be the problem because of your 32 bit windows...

but its odd your vram showing you 0mb

Edited by Miguelr23

Fair enough. Well, there is one last-ditch thing you could try. I know you said you verified your game cache, but you could try moving your Skyrim directory (as a back up) and downloading it again, to be sure it is completely clean. Then, test it out and see if (with no mods--not even texture replacers) you get the same issue. If so, it might be an operating system, driver, or other issue.

Also, do you have a lot of loose files in your Skyrim directory? That can cause problem.

Edit: We'll have to agree to disagree on Get Snowy. Because, well, you're wrong. :smile:

Not sure what you mean by loose files (again, really bad with computers here), but after uninstalling a few other mostly-useless mods, I was able to play for almost two hours before it CTD. That's about what I get with Fallout: New Vegas nowadays, so I'll take what I can get. If it still CTD frequently, I will try what you said.

Well, friend, I'm wrong about a lot of things, but at this point, Wet and Cold is best :)

at a quick look it can be 3 reasons: vram getting maxed out, ram maxed out(you may have 6 gb of ram but you will never use more than 3gb)and running too many script mods...

but first i would start by cleaning your master files(update, dawnguard, hearthfire and dragonborn)gopher as a video for that :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw3g_N1jcZQ

next download http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/6491//? and check how much ram and vram you are using

if your vram and ram are ok then it may be running to many scripts and then i would start by disabling a couple of script intensive modes(frostfall, enhanced blood, footprints, wet and cold etc)remember to check the mod pages to see if you need to do anything else other than just disabling the esp

I cleaned all of my master files like you said, and I also used the performance monitor. I'm not sure what it means, but my VRAM never moved from 0 MB and my RAM got up to a maximum of 2,794 MB. Again, not really good with computers, so I have no idea if that's too much. In any case, this is the first time I've been able to actually get to Riverwood and not crash. Managed to get all the way to Whiterun and start talking to the Jarl before it CTD. I'm guessing that means I have too many script intensive mods. Can you suggest some to disable? I'd really rather not disable Frostfall and Wet and Cold, but I will disable Footprints and Enhanced Blood.

i may be wrong but your ram usage may be the problem because of your 32 bit windows...

but its odd your vram showing you 0mb

So it's not odd to just me? Good, I thought I was going insane. I need to run the performance monitor again, because I think uninstalling a few other mods dropped it to about 2000MB. Pretty sure my VRAM is still 0MB, though.

Yep. Ran the performance monitor again, and the highest my RAM got to was 1949MB. It crashed when I tried to take out my sword when riding my horse, though. Might be because the horse is a mod, so I'm not too worried. I can't fight while on a horse anyway. I'm terrible at that.

VRAM did stay at 0MB. Not sure what to make of that, since I have no idea what VRAM does, but if that might be causing a problem, maybe it is my actual computer and not Skyrim.

Perhaps try MSI Afterburner combined with HWinfo program to monitor your game - but only if you don't use ENB.

I've recently setup these two programs for general system analysis and with HWifno in particular it'll tell you exactly what your computer is doing. Here's how I've set mine up...

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/9045/kuh.png

FYI: If anyone wants to get critical about my stats, I was monitoring them to asses optimum computer upgrade purchases which has now been done! Screen taken with game capped to 30 fps, using stock Q6600 CPU @ 2.4Ghz, 8Gb DDR2 RAM, GTX 570 1.3Gb vRAM.

Notice I'm over 3Gb RAM usage, but we obviously need to take into account the OS footprint which will account for approximately half of this usage - so it's going to take some good going to hit this limit (my game has loads of mods installed, but I've been sensible with everything from scripted mod quantities to texture resolutions.

As for the general game instabilities - sometimes the game is unstable for people that don't mod Skyrim, which the chance of issues obviously increase when mods are added and in particular removed. I'm at the end of my 5th playthough of the game now and it's only been this last playthrough that's been properly stable due to finally settling with a set of mod that I know to be ok to use. Therefore sometimes save game files get borked, and although logically speaking you should be able to recover the stability within them, the reality is that so far it seems you can't.

Edited by LargeStyle

Perhaps try MSI Afterburner combined with HWinfo program to monitor your game - but only if you don't use ENB.

I've recently setup these two programs for general system analysis and with HWifno in particular it'll tell you exactly what your computer is doing. Here's how I've set mine up...

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/9045/kuh.png

FYI: If anyone wants to get critical about my stats, I was monitoring them to asses optimum computer upgrade purchases which has now been done! Screen taken with game capped to 30 fps, using stock Q6600 CPU @ 2.4Ghz, 8Gb DDR2 RAM, GTX 570 1.3Gb vRAM.

Notice I'm over 3Gb RAM usage, but we obviously need to take into account the OS footprint which will account for approximately half of this usage - so it's going to take some good going to hit this limit (my game has loads of mods installed, but I've been sensible with everything from scripted mod quantities to texture resolutions.

As for the general game instabilities - sometimes the game is unstable for people that don't mod Skyrim, which the chance of issues obviously increase when mods are added and in particular removed. I'm at the end of my 5th playthough of the game now and it's only been this last playthrough that's been properly stable due to finally settling with a set of mod that I know to be ok to use. Therefore sometimes save game files get borked, and although logically speaking you should be able to recover the stability within them, the reality is that so far it seems you can't.

Again, I have to reiterate that I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm a writer, not a... computer nerd, for lack of a better term. My brother and mother do most of the upgrading/fixing on my computer. The most I know how to do is work TES5Edit, create merge patches, clean dirty edits, ect. Most of what you just said went right over my head. If there's anyway you could dumb it down a bit for me, that would be much appreciated.

Again, I have to reiterate that I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm a writer, not a... computer nerd, for lack of a better term. My brother and mother do most of the upgrading/fixing on my computer. The most I know how to do is work TES5Edit, create merge patches, clean dirty edits, ect. Most of what you just said went right over my head. If there's anyway you could dumb it down a bit for me, that would be much appreciated.

I know that you're frustrated, but people here are trying to help you and point you in the right direction. If you're not willing to at least try to understand and put in some effort, this thread is useless. No one here is going to be able to magically make your computer better for you.

The single best thing you could do is to completely reinstall, as I suggested. Then, install mods a few at a time, checking for instability after each bunch. Having a high number of files in your Data folder (the loose files I was referring to earlier) can cause problems with TES games. Mods such as texture replacers that are not packaged as BSAs can contain a lot of loose files.

Make sure you start off with a brand-spanking new Skyrim directory (no mods), and then go from there.

And I know that you might like Wet & Cold aesthetically, but a number of people have setups that have trouble with it. End of story. If people give you advice, and you're not wiling to even consider it... well, you can't say no one tried to help you.

computer nerd, for lack of a better term

Computer enthusiast.

I know that you're frustrated, but people here are trying to help you and point you in the right direction. If you're not willing to at least try to understand and put in some effort, this thread is useless. No one here is going to be able to magically make your computer better for you.

Agreed 100%.

If there's anyway you could dumb it down a bit for me, that would be much appreciated.

Your game is ****ed. Your save game is probably ****ed due to modding. Even removing mods may actually make things worse than better.

Solutions:

1) Put up with it.

2) Waste more time trying random fixes and blindly hoping for the best.

3) Start a new game.

4) Don't play Skyrim.

• 6 months later...

Your game is ****ed. Your save game is probably ****ed due to modding. Even removing mods may actually make things worse than better.

Solutions:

1) Put up with it.

2) Waste more time trying random fixes and blindly hoping for the best.

3) Start a new game.

4) Don't play Skyrim.

I figure I might post something constructive in case someone else comes to this thread for -answers-, and not just to be told off.. (@LargeStyle should *have* read threads before posting, he'd have realized the OP made a new game, and repeated this several times.) And I'm sure we're all familiar with how frustrating it can be to troubleshoot a modded Skyrim install, so...

If you encounter a crash in -the same location- repeatedly it could likely indicate an issue with a mod you're running; for the specific spot the OP was talking about, I -think- the scripted encounter with the pack of 3 wolves was causing the crash. Mods that may give issues with these are generally things like ASIS's increased spawns feature, or.. The one the OP had installed that caused the same issue for me, if not at the right spot in load order was SkyTEST - Realistic Animals and Predators..

Edit: Realized LS is banned, edited accordingly.

Edited by UnmeiX