The last Dragonborn's canon question

ianleah2

What did the Last dragonborn actually do in skyrim,... except the MQ, did he join the Stormcloaks or imperials? did he actually murder the emperor??.... is there valid info on the last DB's action that is canon?? according to trailers and MQ, he learned dragonrend, and according to argnier, dragonrend is evil, not sure, but i think i heard him say that, Became a Vampirelord, learned bendwill and all other stuff from mora,.. is he gonna turn evil?? is the DB gonna conquer tamriel like Tiber Septim?? as we all know, dragonborn's have a will to dominate, im just curious of whats canon and whats not, i cant find anything on the net,... i hope he turns evil,, and hope he will be the final boss in Elder scroll 6,... if there;s going to a 6th game,... so can anyone site me some info on canon??

Edited by ianleah2

There is no Canon. No one will recall the specific deeds of the Dragonborn, and both sides of every conflict will claim his support.

The Emperor WILL die at the hands of the Dark Brotherhood. The Silver Hand will kill Kodlak Whitemane, and the new Harbinger will save his soul. Madanach WILL escape from prison, the Eye of Magnus WILL be flux, etc.

The only uncertainty is the Civil War, though in all likelyhood both Ulfric and Tullius will he. killed, and it will be unresolved.

The only deed which will for certain he ascribed to the Dragonborn are the defeat of Alduin, and the vanquishong of Miraak. The BTainted Sun Prophecy will be prevented, but history may not remember the Dragonborns part in it.

And yes, there will be a 6th game, and every quest line will have 'happened', but history will not record any specifics about those responsible.

Lachdonin is right in that canon is not yet set because the events of the game aren't completed. Even so, the specifics of a hero's actions are often lost to the mists of time, as is true of any historical figure. The particular events of the Nerevarine's life are lost to history, but that there was a Nerevarine and that s/he was responsible for helping to bring down the Tribunal is not. The fact that the Champion of Bruma also helped end the Oblivion Crisis is still on the books, but there are no specifics of even who that Champion was.

I think one of the role-play reasons there are at least a couple centuries between each game is so that the newest game doesn't have to deal with save imports and all the other things that would be necessary in order for the events of an earlier game to show as canon in a later one. Bethesda devotes its energies to a playable, sandbox world with options on how you approach it.

Well, Madanach can escape from prison or die in prison. The Tyranny of the Sun can be stopped entirely or only mitigated to 12-hour bursts at the Dragonborn's discretion. Also, based on what Sheogorath said, the Hero of Kvatch at least joined the Thieves Guild and the Dark Brotherhood. No indication about the Mages Guild or the Fighters Guild. Also, it would be asinine to have the hero of a previous main Elder Scrolls game be the final boss of the next game, as it would turn people who chose their character differently away, especially if the only reason that he "turned evil" (IMO the notion of "turning" good or evil is the height of naivety), given that the Heroes of the Elder Scrolls often served "evil" people, such as the Hero of Daggerfall serving Mannimarco and obviously most Heroes joining the Dark Brotherhood. The only reason that Sheogorath can get away with that is that he is a god and can probably change his appearance at will, regardless of his mortal age and sex.

Our question here is about canon, and canon is not set until the historical chain of events is brought to its natural conclusion and history has had time to consider those events and their place in the world. Yes, game developers set canon, sometimes glossing over or completely overlooking the events of any particular game, but canon is the structure behind the game. In the case of Elder Scrolls games, it's your PC as they're remembered through the dark lens of history.

Practically speaking, there are very good reasons for not reviving previous heroic incarnations. Each game is a fresh start, an independent set of events within the game world. The game has to be new enough for players who aren't familiar with the game world to get interested, yet have enough references to earlier games so that fans of the franchise recognize it as an Elder Scrolls game. Bethesda handles this by setting each game in a new era with its own problems and challenges, and refers to the events of earlier games only in books and histories within the game.

Canon is simply an ingame core set of historical events, geography and political/religious attitudes which guide the developers and provide a reference framework for the player. It is not necessarily what actually happened.

Why? It would promote roleplay and, if done well, create a ton of different ways your game can play-out. Of course there would still be the option to not import data from a Skyrim save, in that case the game would just play everything standard.

Edited by Valkasha

Yes, and it's that "standard" that worries me. When I load ME2 without importing a save from ME1, I dislike the vast majority of the decisions it assigns to the first game. Even the webcomic based abbreviated pick-a-plot thing they released doesn't give options for a number of important decisions you can make in the previous game. It just isn't a feasible method for a series like Elder Scrolls. It's not possible to account for every roleplaying decision a player makes for their character. For example, you could have had any number of reasons for joining the Dark Brotherhood; will the game simply assume you joined for the love of killing people? Some kind of political outlook? Philosophical reasons? It's not enough to import a save from a previous game; "what" doesn't matter, it's the "why" that's important. At least for me. No save import could provide that.

Edited by Hyacathusarullistad