Removing a master file from the mod

eLucifer

I accidentaly loaded an extra .esm file as a master file while loading my .esp in the GECK and as a result, it has all DLCs(intended) and that extra .esm file as its master files. Is there a way to remove a .esm file as one of the master files of an .esp?

I accidentaly loaded an extra .esm file as a master file while loading my .esp in the GECK and as a result, it has all DLCs(intended) and that extra .esm file as its master files. Is there a way to remove a .esm file as one of the master files of an .esp?

Yes.

Use FO3Edit. Click on your .esp's File Header entry in the left-hand panel, then in the right hand panel right click on the empty cell above the name of the master file that you want to remove, select Remove from the pop-up menu.

Thanks, seems easy enough. Although, I don't have FO3Edit at the moment and don't want to have another program in my computer. Is there a way to do the same with the GECK?

Thanks, seems easy enough. Although, I don't have FO3Edit at the moment and don't want to have another program in my computer. Is there a way to do the same with the GECK?

You can also try to highlight the master file in the Parent Master list within the Data File window of GECK, and then press the "Delete" button. For me, sometimes this produces a pop-up window that is hidden behind the Data File window, and a bit difficult to close.

Anyway, I don't see what's the problem with FO3edit being one more program on your computer. If I want to solve a problem, I always try to use the most suitable program for that purpose, and in this case, FO3edit is much less problematic than GECK. Not to mention that if you want to use mods, sooner or later you will need to familiarize yourself with things like 'a merged patch' or "master update" (both requires FO3edit, and helps to eliminate the most frequent causes of CTDs, conflicts between mods, etc.).

Well I don't get that. I've been looking around for how to remove a master and these options you've described are how to do it. But it doesn't work.

In GECK I highlight the esp, see the master list on the right, want to remove one but it just dings (very annoying) when I highlight the master and press del.

In FO3Edit, the program stops with error because it cannot find the master file (the one I want removed from the esp) therefore I cannot edit the esp.

Should I make a dummy master file for FO3Edit to see? I mean just making a new file in windows and naming it the master file.

Oh, I forgot something. I did merge .esp files before, I should have F03edit at the moment. Although, I'd need a FNVEdit for New Vegas stuff, yes? Is there a FNVEdit?

Oh, I forgot something. I did merge .esp files before, I should have F03edit at the moment. Although, I'd need a FNVEdit for New Vegas stuff, yes? Is there a FNVEdit?

Yes, there is.

Well I don't get that. I've been looking around for how to remove a master and these options you've described are how to do it. But it doesn't work.

In GECK I highlight the esp, see the master list on the right, want to remove one but it just dings (very annoying) when I highlight the master and press del.

In FO3Edit, the program stops with error because it cannot find the master file (the one I want removed from the esp) therefore I cannot edit the esp.

Should I make a dummy master file for FO3Edit to see? I mean just making a new file in windows and naming it the master file.

The 'ding' is probably the hidden pop-up window.

Rule of thumb: never remove a master file from the /Data directory before you remove all references to it from the dependent .esp file.

FO3edit complains for the same reason that causes the game to crash... missing master file. I'm not sure about the dummy master, it would be better to use the proper master file (download the mod that contains it if you don't have it already).

• 1 year later...

Yes.

Use FO3Edit. Click on your .esp's File Header entry in the left-hand panel, then in the right hand panel right click on the empty cell above the name of the master file that you want to remove, select Remove from the pop-up menu.

nvm i just looked up and saw this in the FO3 forums didnt know that :(

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...