I can't get MGE 3.8.2 to work...

LordDratik

I have tried all versions prior and they work fine but I need a version over 3.8.0 to make a Morrowind overhaul work properly. I have put everything correctly in the Morrowind folder and when I click on the MGE exe it says MGE has stopped working. I am running windows 7 and I have tried everything, (giving it admin. rights, trying to open it in XP mode and redownloading it) but nothing seems to work. Can someone please help me?

• 2 weeks later...

If you're unable to run MGE 3.8.2 (After pressing the exe you get a notice that it has stopped working), then you have to do these steps.

1.: Make sure that Morrowind.exe, Morrowind Launcher.exe and MGEgui.exe have a check on the “Run this program as an administrator

(You can find it at right click -> properties -> compability)

2.: Launch Morrowind Launcher.exe (as administrator), press options and change the resolution to 800×600, press ok and leave launcher.

3.: MGEgui.exe should work now properly and not giving you an error anymore.

I was having the same issue as yourself until I tried this, hopefully it helps you also.

• 9 months later...
OMG I'm a tard! My old post was so retarded! I had my pc on power saver mode. I shall not show my old post anymore. "Thank you kind sir!" :thumbsup: Now I can upgrade to 3.8.2! Edited by hayabusa153

• 2 weeks later...

ok i cant get this to work at all, im using windows xp, i own this pc so i am the admin, changed it to 800x600 still didnt work, i was following these instructions https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Un7WnLVltA2RMysUDEV9K35bMrNFZtHC8UzJ9WnDYO8/edit?pli=1

and when i get to the part i need to run the MGEgui.exe i get the error "MGEgui has encountered a problem and needs to close" i was getting a different error but looked it up and i didnt have a .net version installed, so got all those, but still needing more updates as i type this(had to reinstall windows, get new pc in 2 weeks) but anyways hope someone has a solution

ok i cant get this to work at all, im using windows xp, i own this pc so i am the admin, changed it to 800x600 still didnt work, i was following these instructions https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Un7WnLVltA2RMysUDEV9K35bMrNFZtHC8UzJ9WnDYO8/edit?pli=1

and when i get to the part i need to run the MGEgui.exe i get the error "MGEgui has encountered a problem and needs to close" i was getting a different error but looked it up and i didnt have a .net version installed, so got all those, but still needing more updates as i type this(had to reinstall windows, get new pc in 2 weeks) but anyways hope someone has a solution

Oh figured it out XD so if anyone else is having a problem like this, make sure you have all you .NET up to date and this is where i found my problem http://www.tacticalgamer.com/role-playing-games-rpg/164255-morrowind.html

didnt have Directx 9.0c redistributable and Visual C++ 2008 SP1 redistributable

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/DirectX-9.0c-Redistributable.shtml

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A5C84275-3B97-4AB7-A40D-3802B2AF5FC2&displaylang=en

• 3 months later...

I'm getting the same problem with Windows 7.

With my ancient system with a P4 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Radeon X1950 AGP, MGE 3.8.2.178 and the code patch was working fine except the machine wasn't really up to it. My new machine worked well with MGSO2 except I didn't like a lot of the building textures and you can't customise the installation much. So I uninstalled everything, completely re-installed and used the downloaded mods I wanted and used MGE-XE and it worked except there was a bright flickering line across the screen corresponding to the distant horizon. This largely disappeared if I set real-times shadows to maximum, although it still flickered in and out now and then. Plus the moving grass flickered in and out of view as I moved and looked around, which didn't happen on the old machine.

So I uninstalled and re-installed everything again and used my selected mods plus MGE 3.8.2.178 and the code patch and now I can't run Morrowind because MGE is not configured and MGE will not run and the message says it has stopped working. I have configured the *.exes to run as administrator and I've installed to E:\Morrowind, as suggested (also my C:\ dreive is only 256 GB anyway)

This is a brand new PC with all the Windows updates as well as DX9.0c, the .NET frameworks 2 and 4, several C++ (x86) and (X64) packages, newest java script etc, so there shouldn't be anything wrong.

Another disturbing thing is that one wiki suggested installing .NET 3.5. It didn't say whether to use 32 or 64 bit, but after downloading, it would not install! Just nothing happened when I double-clicked on it!

I have all the latest Windows, antivirus and internet security updates.

Can anyone help, because, you guessed it, I finally decided to get a new PC after about 10 years because I wanted to play Skyrim, after finishing Morrowind with MGE.

This is the system. Maybe the graphics card? AMD don't even list it on their site and their CCC update is the version BEFORE the one on my PC!

~

Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z, 3.40GHz i7 2600K, Corsair Hydro H60 Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3

Radeon HD7970, SB X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro, Samsung 256GB SSD, Seagate 2.0TB SATA 6Gbps, Sony 24x DVD-RW

Silverstone Temjin TJ07, Antec Modular HC Pro 750W, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, MS Comfort Mouse 4500

~

Cheers!