Wasn't Dead Money a horrible DLC?

nukafish

I finally went to the Sierra Madre yesterday and finished it in one (long) sitting. The hardcore mode wasn't any problem with all the vendor machines around.

I really liked this DLC, much more than Honest Hearts (it felt so empty). I had read some bad reviews earlier, so I didn't have too high expectations. The references to the future DLC was kind of stupid though, that felt kind of forced (about the second courier).

In the end I managed to bring 3 gold bars with me, most of the gear I scrounged up and repaired had better weight / money so I could've brought one more if I really wanted.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just played through Dead Money's DLC on Hardcore mode.

I died.. Lots. Personally, I thought too much time was spent on finding some damn keys,

entire mod was "rats in a maze"

nothing civil to add

I rather liked the earlier parts of it. The Vault bugged me though. Super linear - had to do everything at the right time following the right path. None of that seemed to fit the whole sandbox idea that drew me to FNV in the first place. Other than that, I found myself pleasantly surprised by a lot of it, given how low my expectations were going in. I had hoped that there would be a bit more about how/why the ghost people were there, or what the whole deadly cloud thing was all about. Maybe I just missed that bit on my (only) play through (so far anyway).

... I had hoped that there would be a bit more about how/why the ghost people were there, or what the whole deadly cloud thing was all about. Maybe I just missed that bit on my (only) play through (so far anyway).

For some reason I'm drawing a blank on the cloud right now but, for the ghost people:

there were some terminal entries about how the workers ordered a bunch of hazmat suits to deal with the toxic cloud and had a lot of difficulty getting them off. Can't remember if it was spelled out exactly, but I remember getting the impression that soon enough the suits essentially got welded on. How they ended up reproducing then, is anyone's guess. In OWB, again iirc, there were also terminal entries about how the suits were part of an experiment that Sinclair allowed so maybe it was all part of a nefarious scheme gone wrong?

I'm looking forward to playing OWB and DM again to shore up some of my fuzzy memory on this point.

Hmmmn.... not sure the spoiler tags were necessary considering this is in the spoilers section

Guest deleted477584

I played it on very hard/hardcore well below level twenty. It was challenging, but not ridiculously hard. And whining about not being able to get the gold is stupid. From the very beginning of the DLC it flat out tells you "it's not getting to the Sierra Madre that's hard, it's letting go". How inattentive do you have to be to not draw the connection between that and the gold?

People complaining about how "bad" Dead Money was resulted in them scrambling to throw together something that was less demanding, resulting in Honest Hearts. THAT was a horrible DLC, and an utter waste of a character they had built up over years.

Yeah play on hardcore difficulty on a low level character, and a very high difficulty. I swear, I am not one to get freaked out in video games often but the ghost people scared the s*** out of me.. I remember being in the villa shooting the police pistol at a crowd of ghost people when I hear the "click, click" gun won't fire, no rounds chambered... I panicked, and ran for it (project nevada sprint key!) I went in at level 14 btw. Knew you aren't supposed to but wanted the challenge.

IM NEVER DOING IT AGAIN. EVER.

I wasn't so much worried about going back as the place was bland and uneventful. My first and only playthrough of that DLC i got locked in the vault and had my game end.

I dont have the patience to do all that rubbish again to be able to leave; I dont go there anymore lol.

• 3 weeks later...

I like Dead Money for three reasons:

1. Each character has a depth beneath the surface. Christine starts out as being solely in pursuit of Elijah, but then you find out she was in love (and Elijah broke them apart) and that he was the one who hurt her via an autodoc - twice. God/Dog seems like a sadist, but really he's getting off on driving other people crazy because he has so little control (and I always worked with him, never resorted to making Dog pop out). Even Dean just seems like an ass, but then you find out he planned the heist ever ago, yet could never let go. And that's the whole theme: Begin again (stripped of weapons, etc) but let go (and don't drag the heavy bars with you).

2. The vending machines are a zillion times more valuable than the gold. If you have enough luck, and you play until you "break" the Sierra Madre bank, they give you a code for the vouchers. At first it's like "Uh, I only have one voucher." Then when you go home, there's a voucher in the deposit box. And a new one every so often. For thousands of chips. That go into a vending machine with infinite inventory. And (if you paid attention) Stimpak, Weapon Repair Kit, and other super useful codes.

3. I did this on Xbox, but you can keep the bars. It just takes a bit of planning.

YOU WILL NEED:

1. The code for Demolition Charges.

2. At least one Turbo, and I think there's one in the cabinet in the Vault.

3. A bunch of chips. I managed to buy 8 Demo Charges.

Once you have all these (plus the chips from the table) buy all the demo charges. Walk out, then turn right, with them equipped. Pop the Turbo and drop a bunch of mines on your right, in the alcove near the entrance to the Vault. Drop another one at the bottom of the steps as you walk toward the force field that Elijah's walking toward. Then drop a few right in front, as he disables it.

You should be thrown into the other side, Elijah should get hit by the first couple charges, then run around to the alcove for cover, and blown to s***. You can now calmly walk to the elevator without worrying or dealing with holograms or jumping puzzles. Jackpot!

on my second play through i actually warmed up to DM. originally i did not like it but the Ghost People and the Cloud is really a fun challenge.

it takes skill to shoot them in the face with the police pistol after all !

i think i've come to appreciate DM simply because of how disappointed i've been with Honest Hearts !

I liked it, did a new character with project nevada and hardcore mode on which makes everything vicious, and those knife spears will one shot you. Would personally recommend doing either HH or OWB first, and then second following it up with DM as I feel the storylines just flow much better.

As for the suits, Its not stated but I think they are deisgned off the same concept as the harness' in OWB, and thus the ghost people are not so much a breeding people, but rather those that were trapped in these thick heavy suits whos system took them over in an attempt to preserve them and seek help.