10 replies to this topic

gunslinger32

gunslinger32

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Since my steam folder is c:/ /Program Files (x86) / Steam/
Does this mean Skyrim will run in 32bit rather then 64 bit ??

Ceryury

Ceryury

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Not necessarily. Steam, however, is a 32bit Program which is why it's in that folder. There is nothing stopping 64bit apps to run from that directory thought, nor is there anything preventing steam from installing them to there. On another note: Where did you hear that Skyrim would be 64bit? Didn't hear about this before.

superjeno

superjeno

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
it has been said that there won't be a 64-bit specific exe for skyrim yet. unfortunately :/

Fonger

Fonger

Phantom Parot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,465 posts

Since my steam folder is c:/ /Program Files (x86) / Steam/

remember to take precautions because that is a UAC infested directory
(its a gift from Microsoft)

and it will come back to bite you like a werewolf when you start modding your games

superjeno

superjeno

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
turn off uac... that's a gift :P and often a necessity

jim_uk

jim_uk

There's someone watching me, I can tell.

• Premium Member
  • 23,815 posts
You should move Steam out of your program files, you'll have no end of problems with mods. https://support.stea...=7418-YUBN-8129

Rennn

Rennn

Grossly Incandescent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,822 posts
What's uac?

Also, if my cpu is 64-bit, will it run a 64-bit application faster than a 32-bit application?

Thx.

Blocky

Blocky

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

What's uac?

Also, if my cpu is 64-bit, will it run a 64-bit application faster than a 32-bit application?

Thx.

Sometimes. 64-bit applications can be written to be more efficient and run faster. But mostly 64-bit applications just have more access to memory, and aren't limited to ~3-4 gigabytes like 32 bit applications are. So apps that often use large files (like 3d modelling, Photoshop, some databases) can take advantage of being written in 64 bit and access 8-12 gigabytes of memory.

Nebrule

Nebrule

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
glad I found this, had been wondering about it since fallout and oblivion had big problems in the (x86). I ran both from the base (C:) directory and they ran smooth as silk.

Edited by Nebrule, 10 November 2011 - 02:26 PM.

gunslinger32

gunslinger32

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Works great, Thanks , kudos underway.

You should move Steam out of your program files, you'll have no end of problems with mods. https://support.stea...=7418-YUBN-8129

Edited by gunslinger32, 10 November 2011 - 02:01 PM.

Page loaded in: 1.098 seconds