BSA Unpacker

Thepal

Just wondering if there are any tools to unpack BSAs yet. OBMM and FOMM/GEMM didn't work on my pre-loaded Steam ones. Any way to unpack them yet? (I don't want to spoil the game by looking through stuff before playing it, but am just wondering how they are storing things/file types this time around)

They've said they've optimised the compressing so that probably means it'll take a bit longer before it's possible unpack as easily as we can do now.

The only thing I heard so far is the different starting number of the BSA: oblivion was 42, fallout was 43, skyrim is 4E.

They've said they've optimised the compressing so that probably means it'll take a bit longer before it's possible unpack as easily as we can do now.

The only thing I heard so far is the different starting number of the BSA: oblivion was 42, fallout was 43, skyrim is 4E.

Has anyone tried to change the version num and extract the BSAs with existing BSA extractors like you could apparently do with F3 BSas...?

I tried myself to open some of the BSA files to have a look see at the meshes, but alas no luck opening them. I suspect the BSA files might have been encrypted somehow to prevent unpacking, because if you look at the ini files they seem to be encrypted. So perhaps until the game is unlocked we cant open BSA files. I might be wrong of course and its just the old BSA extractors for Oblivion not working on Skyrims files.

I tried myself to open some of the BSA files to have a look see at the meshes, but alas no luck opening them. I suspect the BSA files might have been encrypted somehow to prevent unpacking, because if you look at the ini files they seem to be encrypted. So perhaps until the game is unlocked we cant open BSA files. I might be wrong of course and its just the old BSA extractors for Oblivion not working on Skyrims files.

When the game is released Steam will decypt the files :)

There is a 1.5 gig BSA file Skyrim - meshes.bsa saved at:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data

I was able to unpack this using the Fallout Mod Manager. All the .nif are nicely placed in various /armour, /clothing, /actors folders. However I couldnt open these in NifSkope, I get the error:

""failed to load file header (version 14020007, 20.2.0.7)""

Im off to bed now... I hope this doesnt mean we need to wait on an update to NifSkope

There is a 1.5 gig BSA file Skyrim - meshes.bsa saved at:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data

I was able to unpack this using the Fallout Mod Manager. All the .nif are nicely placed in various /armour, /clothing, /actors folders. However I couldnt open these in NifSkope, I get the error:

""failed to load file header (version 14020007, 20.2.0.7)""

Im off to bed now... I hope this doesnt mean we need to wait on an update to NifSkope

Which version of NifSkope are you using? That's the same version as Fallout 3/New Vegas.