[LE] XWM audio format?

apSion

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

omfg finally. I was just standing in Proudapire Manor... Listening to Jimi. I'm going to change my undies now. Thanks to everyone that helped contribute to this f**king awesomeness. Classic Rock Skyrim - Sounds.bsa anyone? :yes:

Classic rock .bsa - check it out

Easier to get motivated to explore + harder to leave places lol

Easy sound tools package: SkyrimSoundTools

Edited by DeathVest

• 2 weeks later...

"The program can't start because MSVCR100.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

I assume this is because I didn't install the whole SDK. But why provide an executable if it only works with the dependencies of the SDK, and not provide them as well?

the bat file worked for me with xWMAEncode.exe which i downloaded and put in de soundsfolder.

i didn't download or install the SDK, so i guess the missing MSVCR100.dll must refer to something else.

according to this link it's a C runtime library which you can download from the same place. you should place it in your C:\Windows\System32 folder.

hope this helps for you.

I second this. I didn't install the SDK either, but do have C++ runtime updates installed. His bat files and .exe worked just fine for me.

my computer picked up the links as a Trojan virus so i'm not gonna install it.

Ugh....I hate anti-virus scanners that give false positives. Some are pretty righteous pieces of junk. Your anti-virus program is the problem. It doesn't recognize an unsigned executable, so instead of using proper heuristics, it just defaults to flagging it as a virus. This is not a virus. Check into a better AV. Let me guess....hmmm.....Avast or AVG Free edition is what you are using? They tend to give quite a bit of false positives....I stopped using both of them after trying them out. AVG "paid for" version is pretty good though, and I might suggest Kaspersky, Nod32, and Bitdefender as well. As much as it pains me to admit, the only free antivirus/malware scanner I've seen that passes the mustard in the slightest on tests like VB100 and others is Microsoft Security Essentials. *sighs* Microsoft finally did something very well, for free....

I decided to go ahead and download the 572 MB SDK to pull out the xWMAEncode.exe for anyone else who's interested in converting the sounds and music found in the game. I didn't see anywhere that said I couldn't upload this particular utility on it's own, but if it is against some rules that I didn't see, please let me know or feel free to remove the link. Here's a step-by-step tutorial for the PC version:

THANKS a whole bunch OH ALL MIGHTY KENTOSS :P

Definatly "Kudos" to you.

Krawll

• 2 months later...

I decided to go ahead and download the 572 MB SDK to pull out the xWMAEncode.exe for anyone else who's interested in converting the sounds and music found in the game. I didn't see anywhere that said I couldn't upload this particular utility on it's own, but if it is against some rules that I didn't see, please let me know or feel free to remove the link. Here's a step-by-step tutorial for the PC version:

1. First, you'll need a BSA unpacker. As long as it lets you extract the xwm files, it would work fine. I used this BSA unpacker and it did fine.

2. Once we have the unpacker, launch it and navigate it to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data (Note: If your Steam folder differs from the default install location, you'll need to change the path accordingly)

http://i.imgur.com/gzceF.png

3. Select the Skyrim - Sounds.bsa file and hit open. My program warned me about an unknown version number, and that's OK. Hit Yes to open it anyway. Once inside we should have a list of all the xwm files like so:

http://i.imgur.com/LI9TL.png

From here you can select the files you want to export, then hit extract, or hit extract all to do the whole archive. From here you need to select a destination for the files. I put a folder on my desktop called Skyrim Sound Files, but you can do whatever. Just make sure that you extract the BSA into an empty folder, as the BSA unpacker will create the folders and sub-folders as found in the BSA itself.

4. Now that we have all of the .xwm files from the BSA, we need to get that xWMAEncode.exe from the DirectX SDK I was talking about. I've gone ahead and uploaded that exe for your convenience at this link. Download that file and put it in to the directory that we created earlier, the one that holds all of the sound files and folders.

5. Now we're going to make the magical batch file that loops through all of the xwm files and converts them using xWMAEncode.exe. For convenience, I've also uploaded it at this link. If you download it, make sure you save it to the same folder as xWMAEncode.exe and the sound files.

• 5a. So first we need to create a new text file in the same directory as xWMAEncode.exe and the sound files and rename it to convert_xwm_to_wav.bat.

5b. Next, right click on the .bat file and click edit.

http://i.imgur.com/YSlIQ.png

5c. A blank notepad window should come up. Inside, copy and paste the following:

for /r . %%T IN (*.xwm) do @xWMAEncode.exe "%%T" "%%~pT%%~nT.wav"

5d. Save the file and close the window.

6. Run the newly created convert_xwm_to_wav.bat file and let it finish, otherwise it may not convert everything. It may take a while.

7. Once completed, you should now see the converted .wav files next to the .xwm files like so:

http://i.imgur.com/mkpS9.png

The wav files will be a lot bigger than the xwm files, so make sure you have room for them all. If you want to further compress the files, you can convert them to mp3 with something like dbPoweramp or lame.exe.

If you need further assistance feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help! :)

Thanks this worked like a charm from the encoded to wav , but can I do also the reverse? Also Anyone knows if I can add new musics and sounds to the game without having to replace anything?

and when I select them in the CK do I need to put them in this compressed format or I have to leave as wav?

• 2 months later...

Can't batch convert the wav files though:

C:\Users\Ian\Music\Skyrim Sounds\music>wavToMP3.bat

C:\Users\Ian\Music\Skyrim Sounds\music>FOR %f in (*wav) do lame.exe -b 320 -m j
-h -V 0 -B 320 "%f" "result\%f"

C:\Users\Ian\Music\Skyrim Sounds\music>lame.exe -b 320 -m j -h -V 0 -B 320 "mus_
castle_imperial_01.wav" "result\mus_castle_imperial_01.wav"
Can't init outfile 'result\mus_castle_imperial_01.wav'

C:\Users\Ian\Music\Skyrim Sounds\music>lame.exe -b 320 -m j -h -V 0 -B 320 "mus_
castle_stormcloaks.wav" "result\mus_castle_stormcloaks.wav"
Can't init outfile 'result\mus_castle_stormcloaks.wav'

discover_genericlocation_01.wav" "result\mus_discover_genericlocation_01.wav"
Can't init outfile 'result\mus_discover_genericlocation_01.wav'

discover_genericlocation_02.wav" "result\mus_discover_genericlocation_02.wav"
Can't init outfile 'result\mus_discover_genericlocation_02.wav'

discover_genericlocation_03.wav" "result\mus_discover_genericlocation_03.wav"
Can't init outfile 'result\mus_discover_genericlocation_03.wav'

discover_highhrothgar.wav" "result\mus_discover_highhrothgar.wav"
Can't init outfile 'result\mus_discover_highhrothgar.wav'

levelup_01.wav" "result\mus_levelup_01.wav"
Can't init outfile 'result\mus_levelup_01.wav'

levelup_02.wav" "result\mus_levelup_02.wav"
Can't init outfile 'result\mus_levelup_02.wav'

levelup_03.wav" "result\mus_levelup_03.wav"
Can't init outfile 'result\mus_levelup_03.wav'

sovngarde_chant_lp.wav" "result\mus_sovngarde_chant_lp.wav"
Can't init outfile 'result\mus_sovngarde_chant_lp.wav'

C:\Users\Ian\Music\Skyrim Sounds\music>

Have to convert them manually I guess =/