Modding Armor for CHSBHC BBP tutorial for 3ds max

CherryHotaling

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that is very very detailed. I see where I was going wrong now! (I didn't do that smoothing step and I was copying bone weights from the wrong thing!) Thank you so much for taking the time to do this! <3

One last question, you mentioned that it was ok that there was a different number of Trishapes in NIFskope, does that mean that I can delete submeshes (IE underwear that is completely the wrong size) and save myself some work? I was under the impression that the new model had to have an identical number of verticies as the old one in order for the skin to map out correctly.

Thx again! <3

One little contribution : Hotkey for changing between 1 view window and 4 views on 2012 == Alt + W

Edited by whiterabbit0

Wow, that is very very detailed. I see where I was going wrong now! (I didn't do that smoothing step and I was copying bone weights from the wrong thing!) Thank you so much for taking the time to do this! <3

One last question, you mentioned that it was ok that there was a different number of Trishapes in NIFskope, does that mean that I can delete submeshes (IE underwear that is completely the wrong size) and save myself some work? I was under the impression that the new model had to have an identical number of verticies as the old one in order for the skin to map out correctly.

Thx again! <3

One little contribution : Hotkey for changing between 1 view window and 4 views on 2012 == Alt + W

You cant delete verticies but you CAN however delete whole objects in 3dsmax.

For example we delete the underwear completely and the under body of the Prisonerclothes.

Those are separate objects and can be selected separately in 3dsmax.

You can also tell they are seperate when you look at the NIF file in nifscope there are 3 NiTriShapes. For example we open the prisonerclothes_f_0 and you will see a NiTriShape for clothes, underwear, and skin_body.

Since we deleted the underwear and skin body then we only need the clothes one.

Get it?

OK so I ran into some problems in 2012 with the straight copy / paste method for bone weighting, however using the Skin Wrap modifier and adding the CHSBHC Base mesh in to the input, what seems to be at this time an alternative method. I'll update if it in fact works.

EDIT > Update

I get nice weighting colors on the mesh when I select different bones, so that's always promising.

OK so I finally got to the import stage, NIFSkope happily loads my model, it looks fine. I go place it in the game directory and game loads, but once I equip armor, immediate CTD.

Yes I have my weight slider adjusted all the way down, I have a copy of the _0 file and labeled it the _1 file just in case. Since they're just morph targets anyway it shouldn't be a problem I would think.

The only difference between my new NIF and the original is the original still has the underwear trishape. Same number of Polys & Verts on the actual model. I'm stumped = ( I followed the tutorial to the letter.

Edited by whiterabbit0

You cant delete verticies ...in 3dsmax.

Yes you can. I've removed legs, backs, arms, etc. from body meshes to correct clipping and removed various other parts of armor meshes.

Nice tutorial btw, thanks for all your effort and hard work on this.

I mean of course you can delete the Verts in 3ds max but if you do not have exact vertex matching sets in your _0.nif and _1.nif files then the sliders will not work. Also sometimes it may screw up the UV maps. hehe