⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Modding Armor for CHSBHC BBP tutorial for 3ds max

CherryHotaling

So everyone knows

Version 2.4 is out with over 30 additional animations.

Try them on your custom Armor/Clothing your making for the CHSBHC BBP mod.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=4888

Version V2.4 "CHSBHC-Body-Physics-ModV2.4"

-17 Female Animations added with physics: mt_idle, mt_runbackward, mt_runbackwardleft, mt_runbackwardright, mt_runforward, mt_runforwardleft, mt_runforwardright, mt_runleft, mt_runright, mt_walkbackward, mt_walkbackwardleft, mt_walkbackwardright, mt_walkforward, mt_walkforwardleft, mt_walkforwardright, mt_walkleft, and mt_walkright

-17 Male Animations added with physics: mt_idle, mt_runbackward, mt_runbackwardleft, mt_runbackwardright, mt_runforward, mt_runforwardleft, mt_runforwardright, mt_runleft, mt_runright, mt_walkbackward, mt_walkbackwardleft, mt_walkbackwardright, mt_walkforward, mt_walkforwardleft, mt_walkforwardright, mt_walkleft, and mt_walkright

-Physics distance render has been adjusted for machines running lower graphics settings.

-Fixed issue with some latent crashes related to the elf race in certain circumstances.

-All Females that use male animations will now have Breast and butt physics as well

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone please explain in detail how to morph the _0 to an _1?

Well you have to think of it this way.

You make the way you want it to look at _0 (Lowest weight slider)

Then you have to modify the mesh to look the way you want it to look at _1 (Highest weight slider setting)

I am assuming this is what you meant.

Thanks for the tutorial, Cherry! I have a tip, in exchange for an answer to a question!

In regards to morphing _0 to _1, I found a fairly neat way of doing it (in 2012, at least). Add both _0 and _1 to the scene, and select _0. Add the "Morph" modifier, and select _1 as the morph target. Select _1, right click and hide the object. Select _0 again, and there's a list of channels for that modifier, and the first should now be 0%. If you turn it up to 100%, it should do exactly as Skyrim does with the weight slider. Turn it back down to 0% after briefly testing that it works.

Now import the armour model. Edit the mesh so that it fits snug against the body. When done, deselect the selection mode (e.g. vertex selection of Editable Mesh) so that it doesn't interfere with the next steps. Add the "Skin Wrap" modifier, and select _0 for its target (add button, click body). At this point, it may think for a while to process things. Select _0 again, and the morph modifier, sliding it up to 100%. Now toggle back to the armour - you should find that things have changed, though it may not look right. Tweak the falloff, distance influence, and if needed check Blend to Base Mesh. Your armour should now scale appropriately with the body! Should be able to export at 0% and 100% accordingly with very little extra effort.

And now for my question - admittedly I have no desire to really modify existing armour, only to create new. How does your tutorial change if you don't have an original armour NIF? I'd like to create my own models, textures, and ideally specular maps too (no idea how the latter are handled). That said, I'm hoping the CK has stuff to handle this when it comes out.

hi i just followed your instructions to the letter but when i paste the chsbhc skin in to the armor the bones dont work as in i click on the bones in the property and the surface does not change color i am useing the nordplate mesh if that helps.

Click the Edit envelopes button to see the area affected.

Thanks for the tutorial, Cherry! I have a tip, in exchange for an answer to a question!

In regards to morphing _0 to _1, I found a fairly neat way of doing it (in 2012, at least). Add both _0 and _1 to the scene, and select _0. Add the "Morph" modifier, and select _1 as the morph target. Select _1, right click and hide the object. Select _0 again, and there's a list of channels for that modifier, and the first should now be 0%. If you turn it up to 100%, it should do exactly as Skyrim does with the weight slider. Turn it back down to 0% after briefly testing that it works.

Now import the armour model. Edit the mesh so that it fits snug against the body. When done, deselect the selection mode (e.g. vertex selection of Editable Mesh) so that it doesn't interfere with the next steps. Add the "Skin Wrap" modifier, and select _0 for its target (add button, click body). At this point, it may think for a while to process things. Select _0 again, and the morph modifier, sliding it up to 100%. Now toggle back to the armour - you should find that things have changed, though it may not look right. Tweak the falloff, distance influence, and if needed check Blend to Base Mesh. Your armour should now scale appropriately with the body! Should be able to export at 0% and 100% accordingly with very little extra effort.

And now for my question - admittedly I have no desire to really modify existing armour, only to create new. How does your tutorial change if you don't have an original armour NIF? I'd like to create my own models, textures, and ideally specular maps too (no idea how the latter are handled). That said, I'm hoping the CK has stuff to handle this when it comes out.

This is excellent thank you for sharing this I will have to try it.

I used to make morph targets for facial expressions on my characters (Not skyrim related)

To make new armor you need to somehow replace an existing or create a new. Problem is if you create brand new one im not sure what the Dismember modifier would be nor the extra file to include it into game.

This is excellent thank you for sharing this I will have to try it.

I used to make morph targets for facial expressions on my characters (Not skyrim related)

To make new armor you need to somehow replace an existing or create a new. Problem is if you create brand new one im not sure what the Dismember modifier would be nor the extra file to include it into game.

You can always add a new BSDismemberment Modifier right in max, and select all polygons. set it to "Torso" Then once the model is imported into NIFSkope, you need to manually edit the Properties of the BSDismemberment for your character from "Torso" to "32" which is the Skyrim ID# for Torso.

Also, yes this is how I have been doing my model editing, I create two morph targets for _0 & _1, then take a 3rd copy that is default, apply the morph modifier to it, then add in the breast weighting & the smooth modifier. Then on export I simply change the sliders and export each state with the appropriate body. IF YOU DO THINGS THIS WAY IT IS 100% IMPORTANT THAT YOU DELETE THE MORPH MODIFIER IN NIFSKOPE. The model will not change once it's been exported, but as DizzasterJuice explained when he originally put forward this idea, it will crash your skyrim on-load if it's in the final NIF. My logic for doing it this way is I have fewer situations where I load things into the game and I get a vertex explosion when using the weight slider due to the _0 and _1 model vertex weight being different.

@Frozzled

If you're interested in doing your own brand new content, you will have to create some UV Maps as well as associated Texture DDS files. I'm personally still unclear how to apply NiAlpha settings in Nifskope, so I can't really advise you on that. But all of these elements are important. If you're in the business of making a new armor though, I would recommend you at least put together a polygon model. (just build it up on one of the body models) and then we'll have something to at least go off of / reference to help you with the rest.

Standalone armor insertion has been enabled by kind of a makeshift CK that the nexus community has cooked up, so even pre-CK you can create new content, it's just a lot of tedium.

Edited by whiterabbit0