Modding Armor for CHSBHC BBP tutorial for 3ds max

CherryHotaling

OK so I ran into some problems in 2012 with the straight copy / paste method for bone weighting, however using the Skin Wrap modifier and adding the CHSBHC Base mesh in to the input, what seems to be at this time an alternative method. I'll update if it in fact works. I get nice weighting colors on the mesh when I select different bones though, so that's always promising.

OK so I finally got to the import stage, NIFSkope happily loads my model, it looks fine. I go place it in the game directory and game loads, but once I equip armor, immediate CTD.

Yes I have my weight slider adjusted all the way down, I have a copy of the _0 file and labeled it the _1 file just in case. Since they're just morph targets anyway it shouldn't be a problem I would think.

The only difference between my new NIF and the original is the original still has the underwear trishape. Same number of Polys & Verts on the actual model. I'm stumped = ( I followed the tutorial to the letter.

My guess is because your using the skin wrap modifier instead of the basic skin modifier.

You are copying the skin modifier from the CHSBHC body that is in your scene right?

(Copy the skin modifier from the CHSBHC body in 3dsmax and paste it onto the prisoner clothing (Or whatever your working with))

You deleted the other body file that comes with the clothing? (Theres a body that comes with the clothing underneath that you should delete if your using my body underneath it)

If you can, send me a little screenshot with your niffile's NiTriShape expanded and your 3dsMax modifier panel for your CHSBHC body and the Clothing.

Pretty please.

Edited by CherryHotaling

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You cant delete verticies ...in 3dsmax.

Yes you can. I've removed legs, backs, arms, etc. from body meshes to correct clipping and removed various other parts of armor meshes.

Nice tutorial btw, thanks for all your effort and hard work on this.

I mean of course you can delete the Verts in 3ds max but if you do not have exact vertex matching sets in your _0.nif and _1.nif files then the sliders will not work. Also sometimes it may screw up the UV maps. hehe

Ah, my misunderstanding.

Yeah I use an edit poly modifier to make all the changes on (I don't touch the editable mesh), then copy and paste the edit poly to the _1 so the verts still match, then use a morpher modifier and morph the _0 to the _1 then save the _0 as _1 instead of trying to get the _1 to match the _0

edit: To clarify, since the weight slider is a morpher of sorts it makes more sense to create both large and small versions of your mesh, save the small version, then morph your small version to the larger version and save it as the large version rather than trying to get both versions to match each other.

Edited by DizzasterJuice

You cant delete verticies ...in 3dsmax.

Yes you can. I've removed legs, backs, arms, etc. from body meshes to correct clipping and removed various other parts of armor meshes.

Nice tutorial btw, thanks for all your effort and hard work on this.

I mean of course you can delete the Verts in 3ds max but if you do not have exact vertex matching sets in your _0.nif and _1.nif files then the sliders will not work. Also sometimes it may screw up the UV maps. hehe

Ah, my misunderstanding.

Yeah I use an edit poly modifier to make all the changes on (I don't touch the editable mesh), then copy and paste the edit poly to the _1 so the verts still match, then use a morpher modifier and morph the _0 to the _1 then save the _0 as _1 instead of trying to get the _1 to match the _0

edit: To clarify, since the weight slider is a morpher of sorts it makes more sense to create both large and small versions of your mesh, save the small version, then morph your small version to the larger version and save it as the large version rather than trying to get both versions to match each other.

That is an incredibly good tip!

I usually save the mesh that I want for the _0 then I save and export it, then use the exact same scene to morph it to fit the _1 mesh.

thanks for this one cherry i know how much time these things can take to put together, did one myself once so again big thanks im sure i will use it.

Lol this tutorial took me about 8 hours.

I actually ran through it and did the steps myself to be sure that it would work on the other end.

*Passes out*

But as long as people learn and are able to use it to make things for themselves that makes me a very happy girl.