Help with normal map problem

Aliceface

Um, hello. I've been working on a couple meshes and stuff for a while with the goal of stuffing them in Skyrim, and the first of them was uploaded a while ago. (http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=7785). It's... done...-ish, except I have one rather annoying issue:

I can't get the normal maps to work.

Or, at least, I assume it's the normal maps. The dagger seems to have no lighting data or something; it looks exactly the same in shadow as it does in light, which makes it look rather dark during the day and as if it glows in the night. Some of the detail I stuffed in the normal map also doesn't show up at all.

I've been trying to fix this for over a week and I'm running out of ideas for what it could be. I've tried pretty much anything for making the normal map; I've both made ones by hand and by baking it in a 3d program. I've also tried if there was a problem with the NIF data, but it's exactly the same as the glass dagger which I based it on. The normal maps themselves don't look any different from vanilla normal maps when I open them in photoshop.

I'm hoping there's something obvious I've missed or something that everyone knows that I missed while teaching myself how to do this?

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r28/Aitze/problem.png

(Also, if you are willing to, you might also be able to help me with my other problem)

I don't really want to make an annoying "bump" post, but I really can't think of anything to add that wouldn't just basically amount to that. x.x;

Help please? I really don't want to continue making more and more stuff and just keep having the same issue.

Edited by Aliceface

Looks to me like the normal map is'nt read properly, is it linked correctly in nifskope? do you have a black alpha channel on your normal map?

how does it look in nifskope? you should see a clear difference when you go from "no normal map" to "with a normal map" in nifskope.

• 1 month later...

in NifSkope:

TriShapeData: Set BS Num UV Sets to 4097.

TriShape: Right click and do Mesh>Update Tangent Space.

Just wanted to say that I just had the same problem and fixed it with this solution. I did NOT have this problem when I was using the previous version of the 3dsmax nif exporter. It's like they fixed some things and broke others.

I did NOT have this problem when I was using the previous version of the 3dsmax nif exporter. It's like they fixed some things and broke others.

Not like, that's exactly what happened. It's not they either. I appreciate that someone did try to work with the plugin to update it to read skyrim nifs, but leaving it in that state after breaking features is a faux pas in my book.