Huge Save File Bloat

meh12345

Hidyho.

(TL;DR: Anyone know what's causing save file bloat and/or is experiencing it and could cross-reference their mods with mine? If there's previous discussion, please feel free to point, I didn't really find anything.)

Edit: Found an incomplete parser (essedit.py), which indicates that basically all the growth is in Papyrus (but no further data yet).

Some mod is causing my save files to bloat at an insane rate, and this is causing problems in-game (severe lagginess in executing commands and dialogue). Started happening two days ago, when I updated a bunch of mods, and added a couple new ones (it could theoretically be an old, unupdated mod, a removed mod still causing problems, or even the game itself, of course).

Up to that point, a day's increase in the save size was something to the tune of 400 k at most. In, I dunno, about 3 weeks of playing I had gotten up to about 10-11 MiB and it was fluctuating steadily up and down between those on Saturday. Today when I tried, it went from 10.5 to 21 megs in the span of something like 3 hours, with relatively little done (just advanced the Companions line a little bit). Increased nearly a meg per save. This is obviously not natural growth.

I did a clean save first (save - remove all mods - load - save - add mods - save - load - wait 11 days - save - load, also dropped Occupy in that process), no effect.

I took a quick look at the save files before and after, and seems there's a bunch of stuff getting added after the last readable strings (which seem to be quest descriptions): in the early file there's something in the range of <5 000 lines below it, whereas in the bugged version it's 105 000. It seems there's no save file editor anywhere to interpret the data a little better? I guess I can write my own, but I'd rather not…

Anyway, here's the current mod list (I added a * for the ones I think I updated, and + for ones I think I added, - for ones that I first added after this started occurring. The marks may not be entirely accurate (I really need to start versioning)). All mods should be newest unless otherwise noted (I can give versions if needed):

(Why in the name of all that's good there's no export function to get all mods in NMM?)

A Quality World Map

*Adventurers and Travelers

+Alternate Start - Live Another Life

-Arrows Tweaks

*Bellyaches Animal and Creature Pack

Better Dynamic Snow

*Better Followers (incl. Armor Pack I&II, Beauty Pack)

*Better Horses

Better Males (Sundracon version)

+Better Quest Objectives

+Black and Gold Elven Equipment

*Blue Stripes Commando

CBBE (incl. texture fix)

CHSBHC BBP

CBBE texture by Navetsea

Catwalk

+Candlelight Toggle

+Covereyes

+Coverkhajits 1024

Crowded Cities v5

*Deadly Combat

*Deadly Dragons (incl. Texture Pack)

Dual Wield Parrying

+Elven Arrow Quiver Mesh Texture

*Enhanced Blood Tex

Enhanced Distant Terrain

Enhanced Distant Trees

Enhanced Night Skyrim v04

Extended Slider Colors

+Followers Can Relax

*(Coolsims) Hair Pack

HD Textures DLC Fix

+Improved NPC Clothing 1024

Khajit Female Body Tex

*Lovely Hairstyles

More Freckles

Nicer Snowflakes

No Helmets Required

*Occupy Skyrim (REMOVED today, could still be problematic?)

Plynxs No Motion Sickness

+Remove Ambient Interior Fog

*Riverwood Redux

Serious HD Retexture Landscape 1024

*Shadow Striping Fix

SKSE 1.04.10

*Skyrim Flora Overhaul low-res

Skyrim HD 2k Tex

SkyROCKS 2.0

*SkyUI

-Slower Companions Advancement

Smaller Elves and Female Humans

Spouses Can Live Anywhere

*Static Mesh Improvement

*That's Ice

*Warmer Magic Lights (incl. optional tex)

*Wars in Skyrim (not newest, second to newest)

Warzones

*Weapons and Armor Fixes

Visible Windows

Younger Female Faces

Here's the load order, in the unlikely event it matters:

Skyrim.esm

Update.esm

Extended Colors.esm

HighResTexturePack01.esp

HighResTexturePack02.esp

Shadow Striping Fix.esp

HighResTexturePackFix.esp

Purewaters.esp

SoS - The Dungeons.esp

SoS - The Wilds.esp

Warmer Magic Lights v2.esp

Weapons and Armor Fixes.esp

Weapons and Armor Fixes - Hacks.esp

dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp

GiveADogAHome.esp

StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp

adventurersandtravelers.esp

CrowdedCities.esp

TH3WICK3D1-BlueStripesEliteArmor.esp

WiS IV - Rainbow mode.esp

WiS IV - Double fall damage.esp

WiS IV - Stealth Troubles.esp

WiS IV - Fix FrostspiderGiant.esp

DeadlyDragons.esp

RiverWood Redux.esp

WARZONES - Civil Unrest.esp

Better Dynamic Snow.esp

BetterQuestObjectives.esp

FollowerWander.esp

No Helmets Required.esp

RemoveAmbientInteriorFog.esp

Slightly Reduced Distance NPC Greetings.esp

Live Another Life.esp

dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Reduced.esp

Realistic Running Speed.esp

Spousetocustomhome.esp

DeadlyCombat.esp

DeadlyCombat_GiantsAIFix.esp

Dual Wield Parrying_ScriptDragon.esp

Dual Wield Parrying_RandomAttacks.esp

LovelyHairstyles.esp

N_43 Hair Pack.esp

Better Followers - SP.esp

Extended Colors - Lite Selection.esp

WiS IV - Races.esp

RCRN Classic - Hybrid Shaders.esp

SmallElvesAndWomen.esp

Realistic Animal Behaviour.esp

elvenarrow.esp

Dual Wield Parrying_LeftHand.esp

Dual Wield Parrying_DualPowerAttack.esp

Dual Wield Parrying_DualAttack.esp

CandlelightToggle10NC.esp

Arrows Progressive Damage.esp

Faster Arrows Improved 75.esp

Recover More Arrows.esp

slowercompanions.esp

I'm also having some problems with weird spawns that I think were caused by Occupy (which I since removed), but I doubt that would be causing this kind of growth (the in-game time period was something like 3 days).

I'll probably end up testing these one by one when I can next play, since it seems eminently reproducible, but if there's already some weird bug in the save files, it'd appear no matter what I did with the mods. If anyone has any ideas, they'd be greatly appreciated…

Edited by meh12345

Update: I turned off a few mods, and played a few hours without (so far) a significant increase in save file size. However, I did start from a much earlier save and despite now having close to the same hours, I adventured in a different area. There is, therefore, the very real possibility that A) the mods in question have nothing to do with this or B) the effect just hasn't kicked in yet.

That said, the mods in question so that you can cross-reference and/or explore the issue:

- Alternative Start - Live Another Life (I still have three characters created with it, but I've not played them at all, now or before)

- Better Quest Descriptions

- Slower Companions Advancement

- Better Horses (this is probably unrelated, but I did reinstall it using its own 'uninstaller' to clear out some issues with the mod itself).

- Occupy Skyrim (I did turn this off already earlier, but it could be a spawn issue in the Reach which is where I was before. Or it's absolutely unrelated.)

Current status: fingers crossed, will play a bit more, maybe venture into Reach and the Riften area, and if there's no increase, start adding these mods back to see if I can reproduce it.

Got the same problem. My full "play time" is about 150 hour and saves didn't get larger than 8-9 M of filesize. BUT After I updated Monsters of Skyrim plugin and installed Adventurers and Travelers plugin I suddenly got this thing in one moment

Look screenshot

http://s1.ipicture.ru/uploads/20120306/jUGUsMul.png

Don't mind the date of the wrong save because I tried to find the reason of this bug for some days.

As you also have Adventurers and Travelers plugin too - I think that this is the reason of such bug.

Edited by CrMaReLi

By the way - I tried to reinstall the game and to play with NO mods at all to resave and make large savefiles normal. But that didn't help.

Did you try waiting out the reset (i.e. sleep/wait in a player home for 11 days to have all external cells respawn)? There's definitely no guarantee that'd work, it's possible the extraneous data just remains there.

By the way, if you're inclined toward programming/sysadmin stuff, if you could try the essedit (from https://github.com/bjowi/essedit) to see if your bloat is also in the Papyrus section, that'd be awesome. If not, don't worry about it. It's a bit of a chore to get useful data out of it.

Did you try waiting out the reset (i.e. sleep/wait in a player home for 11 days to have all external cells respawn)? There's definitely no guarantee that'd work, it's possible the extraneous data just remains there.

Yeah, I did. No effect but the freezes during playing(which appeared at the same time when savefiles became large) have almost gone.

By the way, if you're inclined toward programming/sysadmin stuff, if you could try the essedit (from https://github.com/bjowi/essedit) to see if your bloat is also in the Papyrus section, that'd be awesome. If not, don't worry about it. It's a bit of a chore to get useful data out of it.

Well I'm not good in such things. I don't even know English well enough(because I'm from Belarus) to work with such programs. But that's not a problem as I still have one normal save which is not old(only one level back) =)

Edited by CrMaReLi

Hey, I have been just playing using "big" save (with deleted mod Adventurers and Travellers and its scripts and with all other mods turned on) and... Everything finally came back to normal! My saves are 8-9M again! So the reason is - Adventurers and Travellers mod. Sure 100% ! =) Edited by CrMaReLi