Huge Save File Bloat

meh12345

The freezes will be back once your saves grew up to 50-60MB (it depends on your hard drive etc).

The last update of SoS was a big problem, so if you have saves with SoS not updated, go on with them.

I still use Climates of Tamriel and got no problems at all :)

@ iNSPiREDS

Rea some posts above yours, or send me a PM.

Okay, good if the mod works for you.

I tried what you suggested, and it both makes sense and seems to work.

Thank you much!

I've read the whole thread. I started playing on this PC (let's call it PC1) for quite a few hours with no problem whatsoever.

I then had to move to another house where I started playing on PC2 a completely new game.

After some days (dunno exactly how many hours) and some mods installed/uninstalled - including Sounds of Skyrim AND Climates of Tamriel, my saves started to get bloated.

I attempted to reload back to a point in which the game supposedly was fine (checking the save file sizes), to no avail.

I tried uninstalling and removing some mods (but didn't know at the time that scripts could still remain active and screwing the game up) still to no avail.

I decided to quit on my gameplay on PC2.

Got back to my other place where I resumed my game on PC1.

Installed some new mods which had been released during the 2 weeks I was out and kept on playing (Climates of Tamriel was indeed one of those mods).

After a day or two, my save files became bloated as well, making the game completely unplayable after a certain point.

I, again, attempted to load from previous saves (when the game obviously wasn't messed up yet) and again it didn't work.

After trying to disable/uninstalling some mods, I just gave up and started a fresh new game.

This is extremely frustrating for me. If I wouldn't be playing on a high end PC I'd just give up.

Truth is, I love the game and every frame in HD looks just sick. I don't want to stop playing but I don't want to waste time playing just to have this problem again down the line, many hours later.

Can someone advise me on the following mods/programs:

Possessive Corpses no more lazy zombies and shy nirnroots - http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/4528

Boss - http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/6

Optimizer Textures - http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/12801

Are these safe to use? Should I even bother trying them? Or just if I have some problem later on?

Thanks in advance.

First of all let me say: only mods with scripts in them can bloat your savegame.

There's no need to put other mods in your black list.

I can spend a word on Possessive Corpse cause I use it myself. I was trying to save my whole game with this mod without success. Skyrim needs a mod like this, so imho you should use it anyway.

Boss is not my taste: i always install my mods manually because I want to know which mod adds what in my own game. That's a personal matter, but I doubt it could cause conflicts and break your saves.

Never heard about the third mod. I use Skyrim realistic overhaul, XCE and the original HD textures pack and I don't think I need more of that stuff. Like I said, if there's no scripts in this mod don't worry about it.

Dude I know how you feel, I went through it about one week ago.

Send me via PM your plugins list, I'll see if i can do something for you.

You had that same problem using only those mods? :s Oh boy...

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo316/DaRk_SoUl_DS/plugins.png

I'm posting them here just in case other people will find some common issues.

Edited by iNSPiREDS

I've found that UFO and Deadly Combat are the main culprits for me.

I was just carrying out a trial-and-error session with all of my mods. I started with a save in Whiterun, ran one lap around the paths and arrived back at the same point. In about 30 seconds, about one megabyte was added to my save file (save 99 got hit hard with this problem at 53 MB).

However, when I came to uninstalling UFO, my save file decreased by half a megabyte, and another half a megabyte after uninstalling Deadly Combat!

Check out the picture below for proof.

Save 101 is the clean save. After installing most of my mods, one by one (including UFO and Deadly Combat), the save file size reaches a high of 9,391 KB, visible at save 109. After uninstalling UFO and some other mods through trial and error, it becomes 8,767 KB at save 110 (I checked to make sure it was UFO). After uninstalling a few more mods, I reach Deadly Combat and at save 113 it becomes 7,893 KB, which is very similar to save 101 (which brings it back to normal).

Just to verify, I reinstalled Deadly Combat (shown at save 115) and the save file increased again, as expected.

I really hope this helps. This problem had me so frustrated.

I believe that behavior to be just normal. I mean, if you have more complex mods such as those installed, I think it's normal that the save files become bigger.

Problem is when they start getting 10 MBs+. That's when the "fun" really kicks in. -_-

I'm having similar problems, only my saves got bloated to excess 100 MBs, almost 200. http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy207/voltage_joe/massivesavesize.png

This happened spontaneously, after 39 levels of clean and smooth playing. Now I'm dealing with hanging lag and stupid loading times. I tried corpse cleaner, but it barely did anything. Maybe a meg or two. I can't figure out why my save file suddenly bloated, or how to fix it. I was saving this character for Dawnguard -___-.

What. The Hell. I uninstalled the ACE and Crafting mods, installed a corpse cleaner mod, and waited 11 days to clean up all the loose items. My save file jumped up to 225 MB. Every single time I save, even if I do nothing but stand after just starting up the game, five or six megs get added to the size.