Huge Save File Bloat

meh12345

Hey, I have been just playing using "big" save (with deleted mod Adventurers and Travellers and its scripts and with all other mods turned on) and... Everything finally came back to normal! My saves are 8-9M again! So the reason is - Adventurers and Travellers mod. Sure 100% ! =)

Interesting, it does seem to suggest that… I'll try it on my side too.

Thanks for the Possessive tip, it's been sitting in my tracked files and I'd forgotten about it. (That's not the root cause here, but it certainly won't hurt).

• 4 months later...

I got the same problem and I never used A&T.

Last mod I downloaded was Climates of Tamriel (but it doesn't contain scripts!), uploaded SoS (Wilds and Dungeons) and Puppeeter Master.

Suddenly my saves became 35MB, and 1 MB larger every minutes I play.

That's annoying, I can barely draw my bow that the game freezees.

Then I unchecked Puppetteer Master but still got those bloated saves and lag... I also read on other forums that Frostfall or Basic Needs could be the problem, but I used them for months and never got problems.

If anyone could give me a hands i'll be grateful :)

UPDATE: Uninstalled Skyrim, manually deleted the Data folder (thanks, Steam...) and all the saves. I'm trying a brand new character but still... my first save is 4MB and it's growing every hour or so.

No mods installed (only the official HD textures).

MORE UPDATE: As stated in the SoS posts, the problem was the updated versions of Sounds of Skyrim. Tracked down the problem (armed with very strong patience) and chatted with other users experiencing my same issues.

SoS is now hidden, hope to see it back soon (even if I'm still afraid of it :P)

Edited by Gunvarian

• 2 weeks later...

Is there really no other way? I just started experiencing this problem on two different machines. On one of them (the first time it happened) I just quit.

But on this one I'm many hours more into the game and don't feel like starting over.

Is this problem caused solely by scripts? Can someone help? Thanks in advance.

Yes this is caused by some scripts.

Unfortunately the only way I know to resolve this issue is to unload the mod is giving you troubles and start over from a previous save game.

If you experience this problem after downloading / updating one of your mod, you know it can be the cause. And you have to reload from a save that doesn't contain that mod yet.

Situation will go worse each minute, so you'd better check out your bugged mod right now and don't go on with your game.

I started having randomly occurring three-second freezes during gameplay today, and trying to learn about that problem, I found out I had that bloating problem too.

I use dozens of mods, but of the mods that have been mentioned so far, I have only used:

Sounds of Skyrim - Civilization 1.0

Project Reality - Climates of Tamriel.

I happen to have save games from my previous session when I had only SoS installed. The files are about 6 mb, and grow a few kb's between saves.

Today I installed Project Reality - Climates of Tamriel, and started playing. The freezes started immediately.

Now the savegames grow nearly 1 mb with each save. I did a clean save (only skyrim.esm & update.esm), and the freezes disappeared. The bloating problem still persists.

The freezes will be back once your saves grew up to 50-60MB (it depends on your hard drive etc).

The last update of SoS was a big problem, so if you have saves with SoS not updated, go on with them.

I still use Climates of Tamriel and got no problems at all :)

@ iNSPiREDS

Rea some posts above yours, or send me a PM.

Edited by Gunvarian