Huge Save File Bloat

meh12345

I was reading at the top of the page(pg3) that Sounds of Skyrim could be the culprit. This is funny, because i disabled these mods about the time that this started happening. One of the mods I was looking at didn't support SoS so I went ahead and disabled them (thinking hey I could use the space). Now I also had recently added Cloaks of Skyrim and I am sure i updated another mod somewhere along the line, and I am now getting all the bloated save files. This kind of sucks because, this all started happening about the time I was messing with Bash Patches, Boss ordering to see how different my game would turn up. SO needless to say, I was making a lot of changes. However, from what I read, the solution is clear. One of the mods I have either "downloaded" or "updated" is causing porky saves. I just found it odd that someone said the Sounds of Skyrim are the culprit when I had started seeing problems just after I had disabled them.

Im sure this is erroneous and more than likely its something else. Ill let u know when I figure it out!. Thanks for the help!!!

So this is an update from last nights post. I systematically went through each mod and plugin to find out what was going on and I found the culprit (although it hasn't been mentioned in the forum, i'm not sure how popular this mod is). I was using the "Economics of Skyrim" mod and have been for quit a while, however, when I downloaded ONLY this file, it Bloated, when I downloaded all my files, it Bloated. I used BOSS to see if the arrangement had anything to do with it, and it Bloated at the end of the list and at the beginning of the list. So! I don't think it has had a recent update (recent enough to correlate to when the problem started) but it was the first file I used to switch between Nexus and Bash, so I might have corrupted it some how.

ps. Also the "misc" file on my 2K Textures mod was also corrupt and had to re-download the file. This along with the 'Economics of Skyrim" mod could have had a tag team roll in uping my Skyrim weight class.

Hope this Helps!

Edited by echoedpulse23

• 4 months later...

I have a real serious problem regarding the large file subject have about 70 mods installed and nearly 500hrs of gameplay but it has just started to become a problem with long save times and studdering these last couple of weeks and ive cut down heavily on the mods including quest mods, but have also just installed hearthfire a few day ago.

My latest save reached 495 MB (519,562,361 byte) and takes about 60 secs to save, quick save, or start resting

right now it is the only character im playing on but i can see earlier a couple weeks ago when have been playing on other characters they reached about 10MB to 31MB

• 3 months later...
Could one of you elaborate? After reading the whole thread it seems like un-deleted scripts from a few mods is causing the bloating. I have Climates of Tamriel installed, and I used to have Adventurers and Travelers (deleted through NMM). My saves/load screens began taking a very, very long time, so I checked my save files and found them to be well over 400 mb. So back to my question, could someone explain how to delete these leftover scripts, or do whatever else to get said saves back down to the reasonable range? Edited by LanternLight

the latest SKSE has an option to automatically remove orphaned scripts from save files

it doesn't do it all in 1 go but as they try to execute (at least that is how I understood it to work) and over time the saves return to a smaller size

there is also the save file cleaner that resets the info about items that have been moved or picked up in various locations. this means that the save file no longer contains all the information on how many things in a dungeon where knocked around during fights etc

1.06.13 does this automatically? Also I seem to have thousands of files in my data/scripts/source folder, with most of them named "TIF__00060974.psc" (with varying numbers) could this have something to do with it?

No, those are source scripts. Of vanilla quests and other stuff.

Honestly, loosely reading through this tread, people have been installing and removing scripted mods. Pulling scripted mods from in-progress game will lead to orphaned scripts, weirdness, and general bloat. Do not do this. Install a mod - especially with scripts - and leave it in place for the duration of the game. If you want to remove it, go back to the save you made before you installed it.

TLDR your save is borked, start over, and this time, decide on a mod loadout and keep it stable.

Hi.

I have same issue.

I installed skyrim and mods one week ago, yestarday i finished main quest with 25 lvl and now there is a problem.

Skyrim have a long loading and saving times, and my save file takes 60-90mb.

Game is unplayable now.

Is there any solution ?

__

sorry about my engilsh. ;)