Wounds not appearing on NPCs

brylem

Howdy folks. I recently installed a couple of body mods for my playthrough, including the ever-popular Bouncing Natural Breasts mod. I think it's also worth noting that I've installed Body by Race, as well as merged a couple of plugins. After doing that and a couple of other additions, I've noticed that wound decals no longer appear on most enemies. When they do appear, it's only on the legs. I've noticed that this happens with non-humanoid NPCs like Bighorners as well.

My wound decals are supposed to come from IMPACT and Enhanced Blood Textures. Attached here are my modlist.txt and plugins.txt files from Mod Organizer.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Upon applying the .ini tweak found on IMPACT's mod page, wounds started to appear more. However, the legs-only problem still persists on some outfits, and wounds still don't appear on some monsters and nude male NPCs, as well as on NPCs' heads. Anyone have any idea what's causing this?

Edited by brylem

To begin with, you appear to have too many mods installed (268). FNV has an "active plugin cap" of roughly 140, but that varies considerably depending upon your hardware and mix of texture mods. That alone can cause problems with textures not appearing correctly.

I realize your list is from MO and that is probably not from your "active game" "Data" folder, but in that case it doesn't really do us any good. We need what the game engine is seeing. LOOT will tell us that and I'm not going to bother trying to sort out the "active" from the "inactive" in the meantime.

Move any "inactive" plugins out of the game "Data" folder. They count against the "plugin cap" because they get loaded by the game engine if found, and can cause "Missing Master" problems as well as issues such as you are seeing. If you can't get down to roughly 130 by moving inactives out, try to prioritize and uninstall (on a temporary "test" basis) the less important plugins until you do so. If that does resolve your problems, then see the wiki "Merged Plugin Guidelines for Personal Use" article on how to merge plugins (which is not the same as a "merge patch" file) to get your active count down while still keeping the mods.

We REALLY need to see your sorted "load order" in "Data" as produced by LOOT; to include the main game and DLC files. With modded games, its the sequence, not merely the list of mods, which is the cause of many problems. LOOT's sort gives a good first approximation, correcting the most obvious issues and is sufficient for most players. Instructions are in the "How to ask for help" article, and "Checklist Item #11' entry in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.

Please see the 'Vanilla "Load Order"', 'Towards Game Stability', 'Third Rule: The Rule of One', 'Smaller Plugin Cap', and 'Merge Patch file' sections of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article.

FYI: The latest JIP LN NVSE Plugin (v51.80) incorporates the same functionality as "Timescale Pacemaker", so that is one you can drop.

"OneHUD" already includes "Adjustable HUD" and "Immersive HUD" (re-read the description), so that is another two. Please see the wiki "HUD-UI-Menu issues" article.

Do not use an "Auto-purge" mod for game play. (That was old advice from before we knew better.) They are designed for debugging by mod creator's only, according to the author of the JIP NVSE extensions to NVSE. See the 'Issue: CTD without warning, "Out of Memory error", or stops responding after the Main Menu', "Cause-2", "Solution-3" entry in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide for the game settings that do the same job.

After you work through that let's see what problems remain.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Thanks for the prompt response. I don't have all the plugins on that list active; Wrye Flash tells me I have 115 in total. I've determined that my PC's limit for NV is 130, so I take pains not to exceed that. Should I turn all inactive plugins into optional esp's in MO then? I'd check with LOOT, but it keeps crashing on me. I'll get back to you on that once I restart my PC.

Also, as a side note, I've discovered while modding Skyrim with MO that having too many mods in the mod list/ left pane can cause all of the plugins not to load altogether, regardless of whether or not I hit the 255 plugin limit. I think that happens when you have more than 300 mods in the left pane, but do you know if the number is smaller when modding New Vegas?

EDIT: LOOT confirms Wrye Flash's reading of 115 plugins. Also it told me to drop New Vegas Redesigned 2 because 3 is already present (I could've sworn it used to be that 3 used to require 2. I've been installing mods based on previous knowledge and haven't bothered to read the descriptions to see if anything's changed. I'm a bit embarrassed.)

I seem to be having a new problem now, where on startup it immediately shows me the last splash screen before the main menu appears, and when it does appear it lags massively and moving the mouse causes the cursor to reflect the movement only after the main menu background has changed. I can't click anything on the main menu whatsoever. I recently added Fellout and incorporated its patches onto the Bashed patch. Gonna undo that and see what happens.

EDIT: Turns out Fellout had nothing to do with it. Neither did the number of mods in the left pane. It seems to happen even when I load the vanilla game outside of MO. I'll try another reboot.

Edited by brylem

None of things mentioned has anything to do with wounds not appearing on Actors.

The problem lies within nif files for armors/outfits and creatures.
Each nif has to be modified so that main armor/creature NiTriStrips (or shapes) appear above all other NiTriStrips (like gore caps) in the tree. Only then decals will appear correctly.

It's a HUGE amount of work because of number of faulty armors (just vanilla, not including modded ones like Type3 and Roberts) and because sometimes you'll need to join meshes via Blender in order to reduce the number of NiTris because only FIRST 2-3 meshes are used for decal placement.

One example of corrected outfit:

341bf7f8c6.jpg

By default, gore cap meshes were placed above main outfit meshes and were cut into multiple parts. Because of that wounds were not appearing.
I joined all gore caps into one mesh (1 for torso caps, 1 for limb caps), joined all possible armor parts into one via Blender (Outfit1 and Outfit2 were separated because they use different texture paths.) and then reordered them via Nifskope.
"Arms" mesh need to be separated for arms to appear in first person view.
PipboyOn/Off are replacement meshes used when NPC has Pipboy equipped.

After all that, wounds appear correctly in the game.

However, for any addon body part, like heads, arms, other armor parts....wounds won't appear no matter what.

A friend here on nexus, VWgolfR1, told me about that. So give kudos to him!

Edited by KiCHo666

As for your "cursor lag" during the loading screen prior to the main menu: The loading screens are merely something to occupy us impatient humans while the game "initializes" (much like when booting the system). It's always lagged then for me as well, and it's just something you have to wait out. I have a small lag of a couple of seconds even after the "Main Menu" screen appears before the cursor will move over to the "Load Game" selection. Just like I have to double-click the selection of the desired file to get it to load. But everything is fine after that.

If you can't select something in the "Main Menu", then it's an XML file problem. Please see the wiki "HUD-UI-Menu issues" article.

@KiCHo666: Thanks for the explanation. Added to the "Troubleshooting" guide.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

@dubiousintent

It's more like an ILS since it takes forever to actually get released from that lag. Normally when I experience that it takes 2-5 seconds for full control to go back to the mouse, but in this case I have not had it return full control to me yet. FRAPS reading reads about 0-7 frames for each menu background, and the reading only changes when the menu background changes. Anyway a reboot seems to have fixed my problem. Thought for sure it was a modding issue. However it only shows one splash screen instead of three now, which is strange.

@M48A5

I already have a body texture replacer for Type3, and wounds show up with females alright except with certain armors. Shows up with no problem when female NPCs are naked, though (except for the head). The same can't be said for males, though. I'm using Robert's bodies but I can't seem to find texture replacers for it.

Also, do I still need to go through the process of installing Archive Invalidation for NV when using MO? MO is said to use its own Archive Invalidation but I don't know if that works entirely.

Edited by brylem

Also, do I still need to go through the process of installing Archive Invalidation for NV when using MO? MO is said to use its own Archive Invalidation but I don't know if that works entirely.

No, you do not need to install a standalone Archive Invalidation if you are using a mod manager that has it in the mod manager.

If you do, it will cause a conflict between them and they will cancel each other.