What exactly is "lore friendly"?

Glitchfinder

Nexus does need to define Lore, Lore Friendly, and Not Lore Friendly. There are plenty of people that believe Lore Friendly must be associated with lore and will attack any mod that isnt trying to be lore. Under the definition they use no mod ever can be lore friendly because they leave the friendly part of the term out of the definition.

Lore: The game as bethesda provided without mods

Lore Friendly: Does not contradict lore but does not have to be associated with lore.

Not Lore friendly: Anything that contradicts Lore.

And the above poster saying beutification isnt lore friendly? The majority of NPC's have makeup on, there is makeup choices in the character creation. How can that NOT be lore friendly? because the creators of the mods made the tint masks higher resolutions and better quality so it improves what Bethesda did suddenly makes Lore become not lore friendly? Absurd.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lore-friendly = something built upon the original lore of the game, not from your own ideas or someone else.

Making something look medieval or viking or whatever isn't lore friendly unless it exists in past games' establishment of the world's lore.

In short, it should be something Bethesda already made.

No that is Lore. Lore friendly is not Lore itself. Lore friendly can use lore or can not.Mod makers can add lore friendly mods that has nothing to do with Lore itself, there are thousands of them available that has not one speck of lore in it and is known to be lore friendly. By your definition every single follower that is not a remake of one from a past game or making a vanilla NPC a follower is not lore friendly. Add one house and by your definition it is not lore friendly because Bethesda didnt add it themselves. What exists in past games is Lore not Lore friendly.

In short Bethesda makes Lore and thats what your definition is.

Anything that builds upon the precedence set by Bethesda, without distracting from the culturual and artistic styles in the game, or altering timelines, history or key events, I would count as lore friendly. Armour made from Dragon Bones, leather and steel = lore friendly. Armour made from PVC = not lore friendly, for example.

As it pertains to quests, a mod that introduced a character unrelated to prior events that takes you into Oblivion to retrieve a spell book could be done well enough to be lore-friendly, but if that character claimed heritage from Tiber Septim and wanted you to retrieve a famous, lost artefact of insurmountable power, could not, in my opinion.

Edited by balwick

I think lore freindly means it has to fall within logical bounds of the predetermined lore, and not go against anything already established by that lore.

So yeah i think the term is abused, or maybe misunderstood.

Creeper is actually in Skyrim.

Creeper in Morrowind = Clavicus Vile's dog, or at least it's heavily hinted as such in Oblivion.

Actually Creeper was a scamp merchant in Morrowind, he's always been "Barbas" since Daggerfall

Anyways, beside the point...

To me, I define "Lore friendly" as something that follows a set of specific rules:

1- Does not contradict Canon (Story, history and setting set down by the developers)

2- Does not break the mechanical system (i.e. godly weapons)

3- Aesthetic additions are nearly undetectable as "different" (immersive armors is a great example of one that is the pinnacle of lore friendly in my oppinion)

4- Anything which MAY alter, add or negate a significant element (i.e. adding a whole nother element of magicka for instance) MUST provide a reasonable story behind it. Foriegn properties from other provences need to also have a reasonable story to back up their presence. A bunch of artifacts ported over from "Shivering isles" would need to have a story behind how they got into Skyrim, and the weapons shouldnt just be able to be made at the forge or bought at shops, etc

I do agree that people use "Lore Friendly" as a tag line to get more views from the majority of mod users who are 'immersion nuts" and I think that developers need to take a much closer look before declaring something "lore friendly"

Creeper is actually in Skyrim.

Creeper in Morrowind = Clavicus Vile's dog, or at least it's heavily hinted as such in Oblivion.

Actually Creeper was a scamp merchant in Morrowind, he's always been "Barbas" since Daggerfall

Anyways, beside the point...

To me, I define "Lore friendly" as something that follows a set of specific rules:

1- Does not contradict Canon (Story, history and setting set down by the developers)

2- Does not break the mechanical system (i.e. godly weapons)

3- Aesthetic additions are nearly undetectable as "different" (immersive armors is a great example of one that is the pinnacle of lore friendly in my oppinion)

4- Anything which MAY alter, add or negate a significant element (i.e. adding a whole nother element of magicka for instance) MUST provide a reasonable story behind it. Foriegn properties from other provences need to also have a reasonable story to back up their presence. A bunch of artifacts ported over from "Shivering isles" would need to have a story behind how they got into Skyrim, and the weapons shouldnt just be able to be made at the forge or bought at shops, etc

I do agree that people use "Lore Friendly" as a tag line to get more views from the majority of mod users who are 'immersion nuts" and I think that developers need to take a much closer look before declaring something "lore friendly"

Thats a good definition/set of guidelines and a reasonable backstory can be all thats needed for many things that is considered not lore friendly. One poster a few above you has a definition that makes immersive armors not lore friendly and thats flat out absurd.

I really dont think it is the mod developer abusing the term but many who look at the mod then use it to insult and belittle that work. Those are the Lore mongers that love to make nasty comments on mod pages. But either way a good definition posted in a sticky would eliminate much of those complaints and give a solid guidline for mod authors to tag.