Reposition axes & hammers right side up on the back

Mookeylama

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't understand you...this mod offers skeleton replacers and shows different weapon positions on the screenshots, like daggers along the feet...and you mean it's not connected to the skeleton?

I just downloaded a random weapon position changer mod and it came with a skeleton.nif replacer.

In a 3D game the 3D models are rigged, attached to a skeleton to stay in position. The character's skin/body for example or clothing, armor, weapons. Helmet is attached to the head bone, the bone is located in the skeleton and the helmet file is connected to this bone. And i'm pretty sure it's the same with weapons as well, as example a 2h weapon.nif is connected to WEAPONBACK and as you see WEAPONBACK bone is highlighted in the 2nd image...i highlighted the other common weapon bones as well, yellow bones.

http://666kb.com/i/c9nw2ihew26wwfps5.png

http://666kb.com/i/c9nw68pufwlt8ukp1.png

In the weapon's nif you can only change the weapon itself...position (in RELATION to the bone) - so every change will effect the position while holding as well, scale, textures whatever, there is an own block that attaches the weapon to a bone. And when you equip the weapon, the character picks up the bone - the weapon i just attached to it. When you change a 2h weapon to 1h in CK kit the character picks up an empty weapon from the waist (since the weapon is not attached to this 1h bone), the 2h weapon still rests on the back on the weaponback bone, so you have to change this value in CK as well - in this case from weaponback (2h) bone to weaponsword (1h) bone. This is my knowledge so far.

thank you ghosu! so i got nifskope, found the bone, hit "Block" and Duplicate (or should i use Duplicate Branch?). but i can't figure out how to rotate the bone?? help appreciated as always!

Ah sry, haven't seen that you need help...well, i explained it to this guy in another thread, you can use the same method - with the WEAPONBACK bone in skeleton.nif

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/885264-bow-node-on-the-skeleton/

And here comes the ultimate help, i uploaded all original skeleton files (male,female,beast) and my edited version...so you just have to extract that stuff and change the position of the blank NiNode in Nifskope. I just made a rough position, you have to adjust it a bit because with different weapons you might get clipping errors. And be aware that this bone determines ALL 2h melee weapons, can't pick a single weapon type so 2h swords might look a bit weird, especially since this skeleton is used for all males :D

Though i guess you spend more time on looking on your back than meeting NPCs with sheathed 2h swords...whatever you prefer.

If you want these edits only happen to you character....well i guess it would be doable by creating an own race for the player in CK that uses the edited skeleton.nif while the NPCs use the normal one...though i can't help on that since i never tried something like that, that's just a rough brainstorming when it comes to this topic, afaik there are a few tutorials around 'bout creating an own race that might explain if that's possible.

http://666kb.com/i/caoa8j37i6syahkxs.png

Download and open it.

Drag & drop the meshes folder to ...Skyrim\data\

Nifskope, open ...Skyrim\data\meshes\actors\character\character assets\skeleton.nif and change the values i highlighted, in the right window you see a rough preview...a bit tricky.

If you want to edit beast/female version you have to follow the tutorial from the link above first and then adjust it like shown here.

Edited by ghosu

Ghosu, you are a godsend! that looks great! thank u much!!!

my pc is female but i used it on a male follower and worked great. i use a mod called Unique Everything that allows different skeletons per race so tried it on few races and worked good. the animation isn't even a big deal. you don't notice the weapon flipping in the hands since it moves so fast. but alas, those upside down greatswords do look weird lol. was talking with someone over at Beth forums...

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1436253-req-reposition-axes-hammers-right-side-up-on-the-back/page__p__22066394#entry22066394

he suggests that a duplicate WeaponBack bone can be made to use for 2hd swords (or vice versa). i messed w/ Nifskope yesterday and i think i was doing something like that. was using Duplicate or Duplicate Branch, renaming that, then using a mod added hammer and renaming that Weaponback to the name of the new bone. i was getting different orientations for swords and hammers. unfortunately i can't figure out how to rotate or move the new bone, so i was getting that modded hammer all over the place lol.

how'd you move the bone down toward the left buttcheek? and how do u figure what number settings the rotation should be at? do i just change Translation or do i mess w/ Euler and axis? might extract the vanilla weapon meshes and mess w/ those. thank you very much!