What is EGM file?

ZeodoHokill

In the combat armor mesh directory i see 2 .egm file, what is that for? will that be the cause of helmet rotated 90 degree when modding?

Thanks

good question! I have ben wondering the same thing. I have ben having the chinese hat rotate 90 degrees when i try to mod it too.

I hope someone can explain this issue.

I could be wrong but I think .EGM files are for keeping models fitted correctly with the heads, Since heads can be of different sizes. One wouldn't want to see the glasses earpieces to be to wide to touch the head or to narrow & go into a character's skull. :blink:

Some of the modded in hairs in Oblivion had them.

Thanks Skotte, if what you say is correct then I have another concern, will we need to do extra step to take care of the character size variation, or is it necessary to due with the EGM file when we making clothes mod?

i just extracted "Fallout - Meshes.bsa" and there didn't seem to be any EGMs for clothing/armor or helmets that completely conceal the head (like PA helmets or raider Wastehound helmet) So unless you wanted to do some headgear (hair/Wigs, glasses, facial hair, head wraps, hats & open- face helms) I don't think you should worry.

I wonder if swapping child-head EGMs in the place of adult-head Egms would let the headgear fit the young'uns. granted I'd duplicate them first so the default gear would still fit the adults.

Edit: I'm thinking of testing this-> http://www.psychodogstudios.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4943 to see if it works for FO3 as well.

• 8 months later...

wow necropost.

EGMs are data files associated with headgear that help deform the headgear to accomodate the Head-Deformation associated with the Character Creation menu.

Without an EGM file, your character skull would stick through the hat, hair or helmet model if you made the skull really wide, tall or deep.

EGMs are created through a program called the Conformulator.

I just used it actually tonight to fix some helmets for the 2142 mod.

The conformulator takes .TRI files which are basically models that have Morph Targets. Morph Targets are what you manipulate when you change sliders in your character creation screen. These are basically just moveable bones that are skinned to parts of the face. A TRI file is an archive of one model and its morph targets.

The Conformulator also requires an OBJ or NIF format mesh to 'conform' to the .TRI file. Basically it skins the mesh to the .TRI file's Morph Target parameters, so that whenever you 'squash the forehead', the 'forehead region' of the headgear also gets squashed.

Confomulator doesnt always do a perfect job, so it has a few options allowing modders to control how sensetive or accurate the conformulation is to the .Tri file.

EGM's are REQUIRED for any headgear/hair. Without them, it will look awful if you have extremely deformed/altered character faces/heads.

To make your own EGM, Grab Conformulator, Export an OBJ of your headgear/hair, and then open Conformulator.

Input the .TRI file, which is located in the Fallout3.BSA. (unpack that with FOMM). The Tri files you need are in /meshes/character/_male/ and the one you want should be called Humanhead.tri or something like that. There are also femalehead.tri for female versions, if your mesh has problems with one gender over the other.

I find for the most part, Humanhead.tri works just fine, since the only real major differences between male and female heads are slightly different facial morph targets, which arent really that important for hairdos or hats to fit on the skull. (since skull deforms are all basically akin to eachother)

Once your TRI file is plugged in, plug in your OBJ of your mesh.

Hit Conformulate

Done. Your EGM is ready! GECK will auto-detect any EGMs that are present in the folder where the headgear is located, HOWEVER!!! The EGM name must MATCH the .nif file name of the headgear.

Before you can test it out ingame however you need to open the GECK, and go to 'Character', then pick 'Update Facegen Model availability'.

Then Save your plugin

THEN test it out :)

Example

PacHelmet01.NIF (the helmet) and PacHelmet01.EGM

Hope that helps :)