Petition to restitute the Mod "Cabbage in A Pot" on the Nexus

FutureVisions

EDIT: Since the thread has grown a bit long and some may skip right to the end missing the moderators response, I'll post it here to keep replies in context.

According to the moderator's feedback the mod has been removed by the mod's author himself. Which, sad as it may be, was his full right to do so.

--------------------------------------------

Hi, first of all, feel free to move this post if the section isn't the correct one for the topic.

I'm writing this post because I was extremely disappointed to come to the realization that the mod "Cabbage in a pot" had been taken down from the Nexus site when it, to my knowledge, didn't break any of the community's guideline rules regarding the posting of mods, in what felt a lot like censure to me.

My point is not to discuss the mod's usefullness, complexity or objective but the underlying subject raised with the mod's removal.

I've always enjoyed this site and used it more often than the other alternatives out there, mostly because of the sense of community I felt existed here, in great part also due to the moderation, which is one of the best I have seen on any forum online (And I'm aware that good moderation can be a hard balance to achieve). That especially, is the reason why I felt that someone needed to post on this topic.

I completly understand some mods should be taken down, like it was the case with the mod "Nothing at all", which point was, much like the cabbage in a pot mod, to troll, but that did it in a completly different way.

A mod that doesn't add or change anything, even though it might offer a giggle to someone, cannot be considered a mod and therefore the removal is perfectly justifiable from a modding site.

However the mod in this case did make a change to the game and therefore this removal justification shouldn't apply.

My final point is that if a mod hits the hot spot list it's because it's having a ressonance in the community in some way or another. More often than not, not by it's usefullness or complexity, but by the enjoyment it provides.

Mods like "cabbage in a pot" are sort of "inside jokes" that often contribute a lot to that sense of community mentioned earlier, even if only by getting everyone laughing at the same joke.

Having said that, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, and if any moderator would like to enlighten us, the community, with more clear details as to why this mod has been removed we'd surely appreciate it.

Edited by FutureVisions

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the community's guideline rules regarding the posting of mods

Regardless of the circumstances of this particular mod, for general clarity here's the relevant guideline page:

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Reporting_uploaded_files

Pertinent section:

Overview
There might be a need to let the moderators of the site know about a particular upload page such as any of the following reasons (but not limited to just these):
Illegal content
Dishonorable content (uploaded against authors wishes)
No file attached (for more than 48 hours)
Broken download link
Bogus file (joke, virus, non-related junk)
False information

My final point is that if a mod hits the hot spot list it's because it's having a ressonance in the community in some way or another.

Not necessarily. For some mods there are small,PM-driven,"campaigns" going on so they can enter the list.

The only thing there that would remotely apply would be:

"Bogus file (joke,..."

However a lot can be said when it comes to defining a joke. I remember one of the first mods on the skyrim nexus was one that turned dragons into some famous wrestler or something. There were also other mods that changed the voice assets of mudcrabs for laughs. And those didnt get removed.

Edited by FutureVisions

Legotrash, on 22 Mar 2013 - 13:26, said:

My final point is that if a mod hits the hot spot list it's because it's having a ressonance in the community in some way or another.

Not necessarily. For some mods there are small,PM-driven,"campaigns" going on so they can enter the list.

Usually people don't campain to get their files voted. Except for very usual "remember to vote if you enjoy" on the mod's description page. Which makes perfect sense. And I never felt that any top voted mod has gotten there by campaining but always because people actually enjoy it.

Even if I personally might not agree with some of them being there.

And anyway this wasn't even the case with this specific mod. I bet the mod author never expected his mod would make it the hot spot.

Edited by FutureVisions

Legotrash, on 22 Mar 2013 - 09:30, said:

For some mods there are small,PM-driven,"campaigns" going on so they can enter the list.

Wow, really? This little thing has truly provided a fascinating cultural window for me, and there's one more example!

Usually people don't campain to get their files voted. Except for very usual "remember to vote if you enjoy" on the mod's description page. Which makes perfect sense. And I never felt that any top voted mod has gotten there by campaining but always because people actually enjoy it.

I'm not saying it happens all the time but it does happen. I personally know of one mod that got plenty of votes with the way I mentioned.

Oh well.

This is another example of why we should always worry that what we do or say might be considered a trasgression of THE RULZ!
I do understand that we are here on the discression of Robin/Dark0ne but surely he isn't so lacking in humour that he woudn't let the mod run it's course and let the commuity have a little fun.
Or is fun against the policy here too?

Edit: minor edits

Edited by ZombieWombles

I'm not saying it happens all the time but it does happen. I personally know of one mod that got plenty of votes with the way I mentioned.

Oh well.

If you're saying this mod "campained" to be in hot files it was a community campain and not a an author campain.

If the community wants a mod in the hot spot. How is that a problem?

Bogus file (joke, virus, non-related junk)

I've seen plenty of joke mods in the past, and this one is no different. The purpose of mods is to make the game more enjoyable; that's why the modding community is there. Let's face it -- vanilla Skyrim will simply get boring after a while. I have to hand it to Bethesda, they did an excellent job with this game's playability with the amount of quests they put in, however, some people seek to add something into the game or change it to their liking. Bethesda acknowledged the fact that they can't satisfy everyone, hence the Construction Kit for Morrowind and Oblivion and the ever growing mod community in Skyrim for its Creation Kit. Modders make mods to make the game more enjoyable, and whether that's a questline, a UI modification, new NPCs, or even a joke, it all leads to the same conclusion - the game becoming more enjoyable. RourkeSwift's "The Adventures of Krautie, the Wandering Cabbage in a Pot" was a perfect example to show that the modding community was getting enjoyment out of this mod. So here's what I don't understand: there's no way that the moderators of the Nexus mods could have missed the fact that the community was enjoying the mod, so why did they delete it? Sure, the mod may not have received much effort, but the humor behind it did. There was the fact that it made bored gamers looking for some fun find some enlightenment in their lives and follow Krautie on its adventure.

Edited by BoomCheese