ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Steam Service Providers, and some how needing to clarify the Nexus stance again

Dark0ne

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24677494. #24677549, #24677769 are all replies on the same post.

digitaltrucker wrote:
bigdeano89 wrote: Now you are just scaremongering, take the tinfoil hat off for the love of God.
sunshinenbrick wrote: If we just sit by and don't do anything I fear he will be right. Google: Nouriel Roubini

Not at all, what I stated is exactly what has happened in PC gaming and software as a whole in the past decade.

Mods will be absolutely no different than any other software.

The only reason this hasn't happened in modding before now is that until the last few years modding was largely under the radar.

The only way my above scenario will not play out is if the game manufacturers themselves choose not to make it happen. The games are ultimately their product. Edited by digitaltrucker

In response to post #24677024. #24677204 is also a reply to the same post.

VinebearDOVA wrote:
sunshinenbrick wrote: My personal take is that Valve gave them a offer they couldn't refuse... i.e. join us or we will crush you. Some people are (justifiably) angry and scared because they feel this means an inevitable slope towards the end of free modding and its communities.

Others see this as something that was really unavoidable but hope that with solidarity and a clear message we can demand our own terms as users/modders.

Some think its too late and have given up.

A few think this the best thing to happen to the community. They are of course in the minority :P

And rightfully so, since the terms of payment are so atrocious...

So in a nutshell:

Modders choose to sell mods on Steam. Check.

Modders decide who else will get a cut, if anyone (Nexus is an option). Check.

Modders get their FULL cut out of Valve's take. Check.

Nexus, or whoever Modder decides will also get something, gets 5% of Valve's cut, not the modder's cut. Check.

I don't see where the issue is/was/will be.

In response to post #24673389. #24673869, #24673949, #24674134, #24674659, #24674689, #24674789, #24674949, #24675064, #24675239, #24675909, #24676019, #24676044, #24676314, #24676354, #24676424, #24676519, #24676714 are all replies on the same post.

Lateraliss wrote:
carlocgc wrote: Exactly this.
Gameipedia wrote: did you not read the entire post?, His convictions as far as i can tell are to support the growth of modding community and keep a place for people to host and share mods for free, this site is run off of ads and premiums pretty much exclusively, he decided that if people want to give some of their money going into buying mods on steam towards nexus, that sure because it would help support the site, and in no way changes the site, and sure as hell does not change his beliefs which while also being NOT WHAT YOU said they were are also not to white knight against paid modding, if they are good enough they will be bought, if people can earn money doing something they enjoy, they will try to, there's nothing wrong with that and nexus isn't even involved in that. like really I just had to reiterate the very bare-bones point of this post in a much worse way both wordedly, and with misleading quotability, because apparently you either didn't read the whole post, or did not understand the point of the post.
Lateraliss wrote: A really long paragraph, but it doesn't change the facts. Do you know what it's called when you don't support something but accept money from it because "it's going to happen anyways" is? It's called selling out.

When I don't support something, I don't support it, which also means I don't take profits from it. It's called having conviction. To do that, regardless of whether "Nexus is involved in that", which it now is because he has agreed to take money from it, it's a pretty classless thing to do.

You can't bad talk the process, and then profit from it. That's called being a hypocrite.

You may think that I don't understand what he said, which I don't know how you could, because anyone with a modicum of intelligence would be able to see what he said. "I don't support the practice, but I'm going to take money from it anyways." Where he spends the money, or how he thinks this will support the modding community is moot.
phantompally76 wrote: You can buy in to his glib rhetoric and self-righteous narcissism all you want to. That doesn't change the fact that he IS condemning Valve and Steam's business practices with one hand, and accepting money made from those very business practices with the other. No matter how you apologists try to spin it, no matter how hard you close your eyes and try to wish it away, No matter how many hundreds of times you read his 5,000-word essay reassuring you that he's an innocent pawn, taking money from paid mod proceeds is a deliberate, immoral and unethical conflict of interest and a breach of trust, compounded by the fact that he wasn't forthcoming with this information, and only even addressed it because someone else made the community aware of it.

If you're too blind or stubborn or fanatical to see this, or even to stop for 10 seconds and consider it.........then this community is already poised to fall, and corporate greed has already won due to our own short-sightedness, ignorance and blatant stupidity, and blind loyalty to wolves in sheeps' clothing. Because Valve wants you to think that everything is ok. Chesko and Isoku thought everything was ok, because Valve told them everything was ok. The same thing can easily happen here.

All I'm asking is for you to not accept "I'm not doing anything wrong....this is ok" as a legitimate explanation. Open your eyes. Ask questions. Don't let yourself be deceived and tricked like the mod authors in the Steam Sellout er, I mean Rollout Bundle.
bigdeano89 wrote: Maybe you should take a look at the service provider list then, because if theres a mod site you know of, its on there. So is the MCM authors among others. Its an optional donation, nothing more, now move on and stop shouting at the world.
SjoertJansen wrote: Where does it state he does not support it? Show me. He doesn't!

He is wary of the consequences, yes. And he wants to keep modding free. Meaning, fighting to keep the ability to make a mod and upload it for absolute free. NOT, no-one can make money of mods... Where did you get that wrong?

He also makes sure this site will remain free, for as long as free mods can be made...

Fighting to keep modding a game a free thing to do, or fighting against people earning money from mods are two very distinct things.
Vidicus wrote: Actions speak louder than words. Taking part in Valve's actions shows WAY WAY WAY more to me than him typing words.

Actions ALWAYS speak louder than words.
bigdeano89 wrote: WORDS speak louder when its an explanation. I will say again, he is NOT the only site to be on the service provider list, AFKMODs and MCM menu are on there too. People are just flocking here because Chesko took a hissy fit and tried to move the blame.
phantompally76 wrote: bigdean, rest assured, the community is JUST as angry with those entities as they are with Dark0ne and with sellout mod authors and with Valve and Bethesda.

The only difference is that those entities aren't saying "I don't like this one bit, but I'll still take the money from it".

AFAIK, those entities aren't saying much of anything.

But I'm sure some white knight will swoop in and prove me wrong.
lowegule wrote: Take the money, support the free mod author. It's simple.
gastovski wrote: You are awesome Lateraliss.
bigdeano89 wrote: Thats just it, and is what none of you seem to get; Dark0ne hasnt said he dislikes paid modding, he just doesnt like its implementation just now, so the whole "saying one thing, doing another" argument is completely moot.

The point is the Nexus is and always will be free for us, end of story.
digitaltrucker wrote: He objects to the implementation, yet gladly and willingly profits from it.
phantompally76 wrote: @bigdeano You keep telling yourself that.

The fanbois on Steam thought the same thing. They were......mistaken.
bigdeano89 wrote: Its not a profit system, its a bloody donation! Its not mandatory for authors to give him a cut, and even then its a tiny amount! End of the day, Dark0ne is exploring areas to keep this site going, completely free for us all. Nexus is a massive networked business based on ad revenue and donations, we ALWAYS pay nothing unless we decide to, but we cannot expect the site to keep chugging along without looking for other ways to keep it going.
digitaltrucker wrote: Modders aren't giving him a cut. Steam is giving him a cut at the modder's request. So he's saying that he doesn't approve of Steam's model, but willingly profits from it.
bigdeano89 wrote: Oh for goodness sake, I give up. Good luck finding another FREE modding site that isnt doing the exact same thing folks. I'm done trying to talk sense into you all.

I offer a different take on the entire situation:

He can either take the small pittance that Valve is offering, when they themselves are only making a little more than the mod author themselves off of a mod (Bethesda takes 40% no matter what, Valve can either take 35%-30%, depending on the whims of the mod author),

Or he can reject it, and be seen as too good for the Steam Workshop and/or a possible opponent and roadblock. The fact of the matter is, if Bethesda and Valve wanted to destroy the Nexus, there is nothing Robin can do to stop them, even if we were to donate all our proceeds to a special legal fund JUST for him.

Valve may be a more lenient in this respect since most of their big names came from the mld scene anyway (per GabeN) but Bethesda has no such reason to be lenient. They knew we were a possible source of income for years, they just didn't act on us until they thought the time was right. And regardless of what you think of the Dark0ne's ultimately morality and ethics, it still stands that what he does, he does for the Nexus. Or at least, he thinks benefits the Nexus.

Put more simply, when you're in the position he is, you need a bit of tact in deciding when to play things smooth, what things you CAN explicitly fight against, and what things are better too accept.

The Nexus, regardless of our community and power, is still a mouse against the powerhouse that are Bethesda and Valve's whims. Our war, if we continue it, must be asymmetrical and well played. But not unless we can reunite the broken clans under SOMEONE.

Each day we fight with each other, the more ground we lose. Wrath will only get us so far- has only gotten us so far.

I can remember, not long ago in fact, when the "Internet" was first "created" and the originality and imagination of thousands of minds exploded onto text screens all over the world. The amount of screens were limited, as only a few "geeks" knew about all of this and a lot was kept a secret. The info and incredible amount of programing and "modding" were like candy to some of us and believe it or not it was all free!

Then came Microsoft.

Who knew this marvelous land of OZ we were afloat in was about to be filled with sharks and buzzards. Not only were the programs now to be "subscribed", but also with an annual "recharge" fee.

Now, of course some 40 years later, here we are on a site that has nurtured and "burped" new modders and programers, for free! I am in debt to Dark0ne for the content hosted on the Nexus and I am sure I speak for thousands when I say that your foresight must have been a gift from the Gods.

For what you have already accomplished for so many, I thank you and assure you of my support until Ragnarok.

In response to post #24676199. #24676509 is also a reply to the same post.

MajorKuchiki wrote:
sunshinenbrick wrote: I'm taking bets this would never have been made public if it were not for the s**tstorm happening right now. Give yourselves a high five guys for the power and voice of the users! Proof that these communities really are strongest when they stand together.

Now lets make them address the rest of everyones concerns.

Our goal is to make modding better for the authors and gamers," Newell said in a Reddit Ask Me Anything thread. "If something doesn't help with that, it will get dumped. Right now I'm more optimistic that this will be a win for authors and gamers, but we are always going to be data driven."

Praise Lord GabeN, maybe there is hope after all!

THIS SHOULD BE AT THE TOP OF THE COMMENTS SECTION!