Quick updates to the site, money money money edition

Dark0ne

I really don't want to pay the troll toll to get into the boy's hole...

That being said if someone wants to charge for their mod, and someone else is willing to pay for it, a market has just been created. Most of the mods I see are not of quality that I would EVER pay for. You can have my endorsement, I'll tell people about the mod, and if it's of great quality (and I have extra cash) I'll drop something into the donation box. But I'm not going to funnel money into my steam wallet for a mod. I'm glad I read this article, though - I didn't even know about the donation feature. I guess I'll be making my sacrifice to Snakey in $$$ form, rather than in virgins... I wonder if he accepts American Express?

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24599574. #24613394, #24613669, #24614094, #24614579, #24614814, #24614874 are all replies on the same post.

Nostalgiaheart wrote:
Norard wrote: 2k hours?! You humble me with my paltry 1094! I salute you sir!
Draugas wrote: There is certainly a lot of panic, and a deep breath is warranted, but sadly it's just the start.

Blender is now up on Steam. Thankfully it's GPL, but what plans does Valve have for the inevitable Workshop content? What percentage will they be asking from content devs who want to post there?

edit: Just to clarify, the second paragraph is my musing about future Blender content going into Steam Workshop
anonownsyou wrote: 1303, suck on that
xgeneofargox wrote: @Draugas I believe TB said it was 75%. In case you think that I mistyped; that's seventy-five percent.
Draugas wrote: xgeneofargox, hmm?

I don't think I'm the droid you're looking for.

(ie, I don't know what you're talking about :D)

edit:
Ohhh ok. I mean what percentage from people who will be posting Blender content, not Skyrim mods.
KensaiTonada wrote: 2163 hours. I don't know whether to be proud or horrified.

To Draugas:

What percentage will they be asking from content devs who want to post there?

I think that's what xgeneofargox was answering. 75% seems to be the number I have consistently run across in any discussion of the curated Workshop, including Gopher's first impressions.

Possible easy solution to splitting donations.

Allow an author to have a different paypal account per file. So it won't change their other file settings.

This will allow the author(s) to have a group paypal account where donations go to, and you can leave it up to them to split the money.

(quoting myself from another thread).

The slobbering animals on the steam forums are shameful. It is absolutely heartbreaking to see these greedy cretins shouting so loudly over something so trivial, and attacking the very people that have given them so much for so long. They want everything for nothing yet call the few modders that have partaken in this Valve experiment greedy, and direct so much hatred towards them.

It isn't the end of the world. It isnt the end of free modding. And, it is an inevitable change. There is nothing wrong with people being able to charge for their time and talent, mods that are terrible and not worthy will not be purchased. Mods that are, will.

I for one think setting the framework for allowing people to charge for mods is a good thing overall. We will see more quality, better support, and better updates from modders. It is a natural progression and I for one am all for it.

It will be difficult however, and there will be problems. Credit, for example. Stolen mods and content. There will always be people that try to abuse other people, this is the way of the world, and systems need to be in place to protect peoples creations. Other sites have no problem with these types of things - look at deviant art for example. Many people there actively monetise their 'hobby'.

It will just be a hard transition, but in the end I am looking forward to more quality mods.

One last thing... very, VERY few people are going to get rich doing this. Very few. Think about this before calling people greedy.

My points of contention with the system.....

I would prefer if valve let modders put an OPTIONAL donation to a file, many modders would do this. And I also dont like this '75%' rumour. If it is true it needs to change.

In response to post #24615349. #24615514, #24615594 are all replies on the same post.

Axeface wrote:
Ventry wrote: Your in the minority.
You do realize this right?
thestoryteller01 wrote: Most people on Steam are calling Valve greedy for giving the modders only 25%, only a few spoiled brats are actually blaming the modders for anything.

But of course many say that if every contacted modder had flatly refused to participate in the trial run, we wouldn't have this mess.

Not the idea of people asking for money for pay that bugs me - I can easily ignore the "dollar for new sword" nonsense, and there will always be people willing to mod for love of the game... but from what I hear, A. The money split is 30% to Valve, 45% to Bethesda, and 25% to the modder, B. Modder doesn't get a thing until they make $100 (AFTER the pay split) and C. Pay is exclusively in Steam wallet credit.

This is blatantly and obviously an attempt to lure people into making DLC on the cheap. Edited by CaptainGame