Quick updates to the site, money money money edition

Dark0ne

In response to post #24616159. #24616314, #24616399 are all replies on the same post.

phenderix wrote:
BluemaxDR wrote: I sincerely wish you good luck
sunshinenbrick wrote: Thank you and I think you should get at least 75% of that $2.99.

Good luck phenderix. There is nothing wrong with what you are doing and it is an inevitable progression in gaming and modding, I havent used your mods because they dont suit me personally - but they suit a lot of people and have value. Please try to 'weather the storm' of rabid screaming masses on the forums until the storm clears. Maybe you could provide some kind of extra incentive to buy, while still offering the free option?

Cheers, good luck. Keep calm and keep modding :)

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24615349. #24615514, #24615539, #24615594, #24615744, #24615844 are all replies on the same post.

Axeface wrote:
Ventry wrote: Your in the minority.
You do realize this right?
CaptainGame wrote: Not the idea of people asking for money for pay that bugs me - I can easily ignore the "dollar for new sword" nonsense, and there will always be people willing to mod for love of the game... but from what I hear, A. The money split is 30% to Valve, 45% to Bethesda, and 25% to the modder, B. Modder doesn't get a thing until they make $100 (AFTER the pay split) and C. Pay is exclusively in Steam wallet credit.

This is blatantly and obviously an attempt to lure people into making DLC on the cheap.
thestoryteller01 wrote: Most people on Steam are calling Valve greedy for giving the modders only 25%, only a few spoiled brats are actually blaming the modders for anything.

But of course many say that if every contacted modder had flatly refused to participate in the trial run, we wouldn't have this mess.
dechurch wrote: "We will see more quality, better support, and better updates from modders."

You keep telling yourself that.

"very, VERY few people are going to get rich doing this. Very few. Think about this before calling people greedy."

Certainly not any modders.
sunshinenbrick wrote: "very, VERY few people are going to get rich doing this. Very few. Think about this before calling people greedy."

While I agree with what you are saying, is it not the above that is part of the problem. As a lot of people will be doing a lot of work but not sharing in most of the financial benefits, the benefits that keep a roof over our heads. The point being that it is not only modding that things like this are happening.

Full respect to you, I am just trying to bring up a point because I think this discussion really matters if we (as the consumer/content provider) are going to help Valve avoid exploiting its customers.

@Ventry. That doesn't mean I am wrong. Some would argue that it actually means I am right, because I am able to think clearly, and for myself - not just follow the screaming and shouting crowd.

In response to post #24615349. #24615514, #24615539, #24615594, #24615744, #24615844, #24616559 are all replies on the same post.

Axeface wrote:
CaptainGame wrote: Not the idea of people asking for money for pay that bugs me - I can easily ignore the "dollar for new sword" nonsense, and there will always be people willing to mod for love of the game... but from what I hear, A. The money split is 30% to Valve, 45% to Bethesda, and 25% to the modder, B. Modder doesn't get a thing until they make $100 (AFTER the pay split) and C. Pay is exclusively in Steam wallet credit.

This is blatantly and obviously an attempt to lure people into making DLC on the cheap.
thestoryteller01 wrote: Most people on Steam are calling Valve greedy for giving the modders only 25%, only a few spoiled brats are actually blaming the modders for anything.

But of course many say that if every contacted modder had flatly refused to participate in the trial run, we wouldn't have this mess.
dechurch wrote: "We will see more quality, better support, and better updates from modders."

"very, VERY few people are going to get rich doing this. Very few. Think about this before calling people greedy."

sunshinenbrick wrote: "very, VERY few people are going to get rich doing this. Very few. Think about this before calling people greedy."

While I agree with what you are saying, is it not the above that is part of the problem. As a lot of people will be doing a lot of work but not sharing in most of the financial benefits, the benefits that keep a roof over our heads. The point being that it is not only modding that things like this are happening.

Full respect to you, I am just trying to bring up a point because I think this discussion really matters if we (as the consumer/content provider) are going to help Valve avoid exploiting its customers.
Axeface wrote: @Ventry. That doesn't mean I am wrong. Some would argue that it actually means I am right, because I am able to think clearly, and for myself - not just follow the screaming and shouting crowd.

I'm just annoyed by this, Valve is advertising this as " Support the modders",
while they take 75% of the cut. That's just plain disgusting.

"Gooooood start. Big sarcastic thumbs up."

Laughed a bit too much on this. But seriously, we can't tell how this is going to continue or even how it's going to end... that doesn't mean I like it. This is a bad idea, there are too many points, ideas and work from many authors conflicting....

In response to post #24615349. #24615514, #24615539, #24615594, #24615744, #24615844, #24616559, #24616664 are all replies on the same post.

Axeface wrote:

Axeface wrote: @Ventry. That doesn't mean I am wrong. Some would argue that it actually means I am right, because I am able to think clearly, and for myself - not just follow the screaming and shouting crowd.
Jupezus wrote: I'm just annoyed by this, Valve is advertising this as " Support the modders",
while they take 75% of the cut. That's just plain disgusting.

Here, aim all those passive aggressive insults towards Chesko that just now realized what's it like to deal with megacorporations like Valve or Bethesda:

I thought discussion was moderated in this place??? Doesn't matter, too few people are remotely attempting at defending this and failing hard at it.

In response to post #24616159. #24616314, #24616399, #24616454 are all replies on the same post.

phenderix wrote:
BluemaxDR wrote: I sincerely wish you good luck
sunshinenbrick wrote: Thank you and I think you should get at least 75% of that $2.99.

To pay your rent with.
Axeface wrote: Good luck phenderix. There is nothing wrong with what you are doing and it is an inevitable progression in gaming and modding, I havent used your mods because they dont suit me personally - but they suit a lot of people and have value. Please try to 'weather the storm' of rabid screaming masses on the forums until the storm clears. Maybe you could provide some kind of extra incentive to buy, while still offering the free option?

While the file is still pending review here is a list of features I intend to add using a goal system.

Every $200 - New spells will be added or an existing archetype will be significantly modified and improved.
$500 - new companion NPCs that use spells added by this mod.
$1000 - new worldspace containing many things to do regarding this mod. (Town, vendors, shops, npcs, new world)
If goals met, new goals will be added.

In response to post #24615969.

Orgaya wrote:

I see the outrage as deserved, but misdirected at the mod makers. A calm callout is better than a sword to the gut, and Valve needs this more than anything. This was a terrible idea, and the people who enacted it don't have the knowledge or foresight to enact this properly. I'm extremely sad the xilverbullet partook in the paid mod, and I adore his mods. He doesn't deserve the hate he's getting at all, but he should be questioned and listened to on why he put MM up as paid. This is clusterf*#@ and a half. No one will win if this system stays around. Everything has changed, and it is for the worse.

In response to post #24616159. #24616314, #24616399, #24616454, #24616704 are all replies on the same post.

phenderix wrote:
BluemaxDR wrote: I sincerely wish you good luck.

As for me, I'm going to take a break from modding Skyrim for a while. Well except for updating one because Raulfin is updating the combat system in his and I feel obliged to keep mine up to date.

To pay your rent with.
Axeface wrote: Good luck phenderix. There is nothing wrong with what you are doing and it is an inevitable progression in gaming and modding, I havent used your mods because they dont suit me personally - but they suit a lot of people and have value. Please try to 'weather the storm' of rabid screaming masses on the forums until the storm clears. Maybe you could provide some kind of extra incentive to buy, while still offering the free option?

phenderix wrote: While the file is still pending review here is a list of features I intend to add using a goal system.

Every $200 - New spells will be added or an existing archetype will be significantly modified and improved.
$1000 - new worldspace containing many things to do regarding this mod. (Town, vendors, shops, npcs, new world)

Like kickstarter....smart.