⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Quick updates to the site, money money money edition

Dark0ne

I have been shocked about this movement on steam. Nonetheless i know that mods here will stay for free. This is logistically impossible to handle correctly.

Unlike youtube, which is already monitored closely by google itself and a completely different system than this one. The content on there is very hard to copy since people are literally protecting the content they are watching.

Right here you get a domino effect of abuse. Pirating happened also within 24 hours of the release of this system. It's a giant mess. If they would have added a donate button i would have done it honestly! Because for me personally it's been a pain in my butt to get my paypal working again. Since my password still has not been reset.

i have done micro transactions, i have done DLC payments, i have done more of these things. If there is a system where people can more openly pay towards mod authors who want rewards for their work this is great. But this is exploitation and completely full of security holes. This definitely needs to change.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24668369. #24672444, #24673424, #24673814, #24674709, #24674954, #24675644, #24676344 are all replies on the same post.

SharkyBytesz wrote:
phantompally76 wrote: Until you want to use a mod that requires the LATEST version of SkyUI, eh? Eh comrade?
Mrfizzledude wrote: Yeah really I don't know why people are getting so worked up about this whole paying for mods thing, as long as nexus stays free, I could care f*cking less about the steam workshop.
runningwild09 wrote: Exactly. People like OP get too worked up. When it rains, THE SKY IS FALLING! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. When a paid mod gets added but then removed. GAME MODDING IS COMING TO AN END! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Elta1 wrote: @phantompally76 why would it require it? He said that 4.1 will always have the most update MCM files so you do not need to get the latest version.
Chai Pei wrote: runningwild09
Mrfizzledude
You're not really bright ones are you? Now if modders don't start removing stuff from nexus and adding it to paid WS, someone else will do and earn shekels on other peoples work. So to prevent it majority probably going to bend over.
phantompally76 wrote: Elta1, do you honestly believe that?

Do you genuinely, from the bottom of your heart, believe those guys updated SkyUI JUST as a small, temporary cash grab with no intentions of getting rich by becoming the bottleneck that mod users will have to pay through in order to continue using mods in future? Have you not read their smug, arrogant comments regarding this? Are you THAT blind and complacent? Am I getting through to you at all???
Elta1 wrote: Yes, because the SkyUi team have proven to be fair and you you do not have an faith in them you must be blind. And the fact that you would turn away from the team that made Skyrim on PC a thing is just as sad. Look at their record. They have always been there and always been the main names in modding here and elsewhere. And if you are so quick as to throw that trust and faith away well that is your loss. The only issue I have is way Marrdox is handleing it.

people can't even aces those mods if they want to develop them. it simply doesn't work. In one word again like total biscuit said as well: logistical nightmare.

I'm so sick of all the crybabies that expect everything for free. If it isn't mods, it's games, if it isn't games it's movies. If it isn't movies it's music...

I'm all for modders being able to earn money from their projects. Especially the really big ones. If you don't want to pay for it, well don't. Download something that's free.

I'm especially fed up with every crybaby crying out for a donation button instead.. Guess what, most big modders already had donation options and most never received any donations at all. So shut up about that option because you'll never use it anyway. All you do is talk, never any actions.

This new option is a fantastic idea which will help motivate those really ambitious modders to create amazing mods such as Falskaar. Chances will improve that they won't abandon them in the end.

Sure there's some flaws with the new paid system, but it's not final yet and will probably improve along the way. The 25% thing is of course really low and should be raised to atleast 35% imo.

I personally have never donated to any mod-author but i will buy their mods if the mod interests me and the price is right.

I would gladly pay 1-3 dollars for these mods (as an example) just to help the authors stay motivated and come back with more amazing mods:

• Dragon Combat Overhaul

• Immersive Armors

• SkyUI

• Falskaar (haven't downloaded it tho, but if i was interested i would pay for it no doubt)

• Deadly Dragons

• Frostfall

• Book of silence

I hope for the love of god that Valve improves the new paid system instead of shutting it down.

And to Dark0ne: You should of course take those 5% if the author's decide you deserve it, don't listen to the trolls. Keep doing what you're doing and try to help Valve/Bethesda improve the system instead.

In response to post #24681829.

PerfectByNature wrote:

I think it's a bit short-sighted for you to say that you'd gladly pay for mods based on that list. Of course you'd pay for those mods, you've had years of playing with them and seeing how reliable the modders are. I think it's a bit different when it comes to a new modder that you've never heard of who, as far as you know, could take your money and never update the mod if a game update breaks it, or another popular mod is incompatable with it. I think mods, and the quality thereof, are just too volatile to put behind a paywall. I could never trust a mod enough to pay without playing with it for a while first. And what if you buy a mod, say a grass textures mod or something, and then a new grass textures mod comes out that's better than the one you just bought (it has less incompatibilities for instance)? I'll have to pay again for essentially the same mod just so I can play the game without glitches and crashes due to incompatibilities. And how about mods that have pre-requisites? I'll have to buy all the other mods just so I can get the one I want. Pretty soon, I've payed more on the mods than I did on the game itself. I'm all for modders being rearded for their efforts but putting them behind a paywall seems to be the worst way to do it.

In response to post #24633704.

saurusmaximus wrote:

Steam is awful at policing piracy and just gets worse. This is a ridiculous business decision driven by a not too bright PM team. Someone will sue Steam for taking money on a mod that is stolen, all digital signatures notwithstanding, with perception being more important than the result, things will go back to normal. Nexus users and modders should continue to act as a community and separate the two systems in their discussions. After all, many companies have totally separate business models when selling into other markets where piracy is a way of life. If I had a fantastic mod that someone might steal and that steam would willingly (and negligently) take money for with the onus on me to prove it, I might be proactive and post it there too, and make the price one cent. But then also post the FOREVER FREE INCLUDING UPDATES icon on my nexus mod page.

In response to post #24681829. #24686464 is also a reply to the same post.

PerfectByNature wrote:
Flenzil wrote: I think it's a bit short-sighted for you to say that you'd gladly pay for mods based on that list. Of course you'd pay for those mods, you've had years of playing with them and seeing how reliable the modders are. I think it's a bit different when it comes to a new modder that you've never heard of who, as far as you know, could take your money and never update the mod if a game update breaks it, or another popular mod is incompatable with it. I think mods, and the quality thereof, are just too volatile to put behind a paywall. I could never trust a mod enough to pay without playing with it for a while first. And what if you buy a mod, say a grass textures mod or something, and then a new grass textures mod comes out that's better than the one you just bought (it has less incompatibilities for instance)? I'll have to pay again for essentially the same mod just so I can play the game without glitches and crashes due to incompatibilities. And how about mods that have pre-requisites? I'll have to buy all the other mods just so I can get the one I want. Pretty soon, I've payed more on the mods than I did on the game itself. I'm all for modders being rearded for their efforts but putting them behind a paywall seems to be the worst way to do it.

There's ways for mod-authors to demo their mods.
For example:
Free versions that has one or a few features stripped.
Youtube-mod reviewers.

And how likely do you think it is that a completely unknown modder would be able to earn a living from mods? Not likely. Most modders will have to build their rep up using free mods or really cheap but awesome mods.
Creating weapons & armor packs is one example. And those won't "break" due to a game update.

Most people are just negative because they have to pay, coming up with all sort of ridiculous reasons why it would be bad.
"I would have to pay x amount of dollars since my mod list is 2xx" - Well there's still well over 40k free mods out there for skyrim. No one's saying you have to have 2xx paid mods.
"what if a similar mod comes out but it's better?" - Same thing here, no one is forcing you to "upgrade" and there's plenty of free mods that probably does the same or similar thing.

The paid mod system is customer steered. If you want to pay för lame mods, free ones or just the really ambitious mods go ahead. Edited by PerfectByNature

I don't know what any of you intend to do to prepare for the future, but I know what I'm going to do.

At the moment I'm deciding between Unreal Engine 4 and Cryengine 4. As soon as that decision is final, I'm going to start building a world. When that world is presentable, I'm going to upload it to the Nexus. Once it is uploaded, anyone who thinks they can build a game can use it, modify it, build a game based on it, etc.,etc.,etc. I don't care what you do. It may or, more likely, may not have houses, villages, farms, cities, livestock, wildlife, yada, yada, yada. All you'll need to use it is the same engine I choose.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not doing this out of the goodness of my heart. It's an itch I would have scratched, eventually, in any case. World building is not some arcane undertaking that only the celebrated few can attempt. No one is born knowing how to do it. I'll get you started if you need it and then you're on your own.

I casually invite anyone with a similar itch to beat me to the punch. After all, we're going to be in the same boat for a long time. Whichever engine I choose, someone else should grab the other and outdo me.

We could very easily be curating our own games, without any interference from publishers, DRMists or any other ists of any type. I've been meaning to issue this challenge for a while. Now seems a perfect time.

The glove's on the ground. Pick it up. I dare you.

In response to post #24681829. #24686464, #24687639 are all replies on the same post.

PerfectByNature wrote:
Flenzil wrote: I think it's a bit short-sighted for you to say that you'd gladly pay for mods based on that list. Of course you'd pay for those mods, you've had years of playing with them and seeing how reliable the modders are. I think it's a bit different when it comes to a new modder that you've never heard of who, as far as you know, could take your money and never update the mod if a game update breaks it, or another popular mod is incompatable with it. I think mods, and the quality thereof, are just too volatile to put behind a paywall. I could never trust a mod enough to pay without playing with it for a while first. And what if you buy a mod, say a grass textures mod or something, and then a new grass textures mod comes out that's better than the one you just bought (it has less incompatibilities for instance)? I'll have to pay again for essentially the same mod just so I can play the game without glitches and crashes due to incompatibilities. And how about mods that have pre-requisites? I'll have to buy all the other mods just so I can get the one I want. Pretty soon, I've payed more on the mods than I did on the game itself. I'm all for modders being rearded for their efforts but putting them behind a paywall seems to be the worst way to do it.
PerfectByNature wrote: There's ways for mod-authors to demo their mods.
For example:
Youtube-mod reviewers.

And how likely do you think it is that a completely unknown modder would be able to earn a living from mods? Not likely. Most modders will have to build their rep up using free mods or really cheap but awesome mods.
Creating weapons & armor packs is one example. And those won't "break" due to a game update.

Most people are just negative because they have to pay, coming up with all sort of ridiculous reasons why it would be bad.
"I would have to pay x amount of dollars since my mod list is 2xx" - Well there's still well over 40k free mods out there for skyrim. No one's saying you have to have 2xx paid mods.
"what if a similar mod comes out but it's better?" - Same thing here, no one is forcing you to "upgrade" and there's plenty of free mods that probably does the same or similar thing.

The paid mod system is customer steered. If you want to pay för lame mods, free ones or just the really ambitious mods go ahead.

You are being short sighted and completely ignore one thing, which is the reason so many people are angry about this. You say there are "over 40k free mods out there". But wait a few years and new games and those free mods for new games won't exist and you have to pay for every single mod.

Which means that if you wanted to use 200 mods you'd have to pay for every one of them, no alternative. make it they each cost 1$, that's 200$ = the vast majority of people cannot afford it = modding community and PC advantage killed of.

That's where this will lead. Spending 60$ for a game, then 30$ per DLC, then 1$ per mod in a game like Skyrim? The cost would go over 800$. Good luck keeping up with that.

The sad and stupid part is that big part of the reason Bethesda sold so many copies of Skyrim was because of the craze over unlimited FREE mods. Take that away and Skyrim is just a game like many others that would have died off in less than a year. So if the paid mods thing becomes standard, companies will effectively be killing off their own free marketing...

In response to post #24681829. #24686464, #24687639, #24689534 are all replies on the same post.

PerfectByNature wrote:
PerfectByNature wrote: There's ways for mod-authors to demo their mods.
For example:
Youtube-mod reviewers.

The paid mod system is customer steered. If you want to pay för lame mods, free ones or just the really ambitious mods go ahead.
92DemonKing wrote: "I would have to pay x amount of dollars since my mod list is 2xx" - Well there's still well over 40k free mods out there for skyrim. No one's saying you have to have 2xx paid mods.

You are being short sighted and completely ignore one thing, which is the reason so many people are angry about this. You say there are "over 40k free mods out there". But wait a few years and new games and those free mods for new games won't exist and you have to pay for every single mod.

Which means that if you wanted to use 200 mods you'd have to pay for every one of them, no alternative. make it they each cost 1$, that's 200$ = the vast majority of people cannot afford it = modding community and PC advantage killed of.

That's where this will lead. Spending 60$ for a game, then 30$ per DLC, then 1$ per mod in a game like Skyrim? The cost would go over 800$. Good luck keeping up with that.

The sad and stupid part is that big part of the reason Bethesda sold so many copies of Skyrim was because of the craze over unlimited FREE mods. Take that away and Skyrim is just a game like many others that would have died off in less than a year. So if the paid mods thing becomes standard, companies will effectively be killing off their own free marketing...

There's a lot of people out there that would say that a lot of Bethesda's games are close to unplayable on PC (Crash to Desktops, poorly done textures, getting stuck in rocks etc.). There are mods out there that fix these things, like the Unofficial Skyrim Patch. It seems like Bethesda is content to releasing quite a broken game and just letting other people fix it. Fallout 3 still has these problems and that was released 7 years ago. What if the unofficial patch decided to put the mod behind a paywall? I'd have to pay for a mod to fix the glitches found in the game I just payed for, and Bethesda wants a cut of that money too. And imagine if I wanted to play Skyrim, but found I had to also buy Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion in order to play it?

What about the fact that free mods could be easily stolen and sold on the Steam Workshop? That could discourage people from making free mods in the first place (I think some people have already removed thier mods because of this).

I think that if there was an easily visible, easy-to-use donate button; people would use it. I mean, I could easily get anything on Netflix for free, but I don't because Netflix has made it more convenient to pay, I could get anything that Steam sells for free, but I don't because Steam makes it more convienient to pay. I could get any song I want for free, but I don't because I want to support the artist. If there was simply a big button next to " download " that was a one-click donate button, I would donate to those modders whose mods I use extensively and enjoy. But with the system now I feel like I have to gamble whether the mod is: functional, stable, fun or simply worth the money (much like early-access or kickstarter). Edited by Flenzil