Steam Service Providers, and some how needing to clarify the Nexus stance again

Dark0ne

In response to post #24678089. #24678269, #24679224, #24679304, #24680009 are all replies on the same post.

mkess wrote:
sunshinenbrick wrote: Amazing... and not =/
Yisregaurd wrote: Thank you so much for sharing that Vid.
Arendella wrote: I saw that earlier today I couldn't stop the tears
WightMage wrote: Mfw at the end...

Though IMO, it should have been Bethesda's face, not Gabe's.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dark0ne is being played (giving him the benefit of the doubt).

Modders are being played and robbed (not just of money, but of their work).

And Bethesda is poisoning it's own well.

Please, everyone, don't feed this monster. Don't buy ANYTHING from Steam. Not just mods - ANYTHING. If you buy a game and discover that you "must" register it with Steam (like Skyrim) - don't. Download it from Pirate Bay or some similar site instead. That way you can get an actual clean copy - no Steam, and no other DRM viruses either. It's not piracy if you've paid for it.

No Steam. Not Ever.

In response to post #24678109.

JynoT wrote:

To clarify nexus standing (saw some confusion still)
- Valve is giving 5% of their cut to nexus - no strings attached - even if nexus became anti paid mods - this would still stand (if anything be happy that valve gains less and nexus gets free money ^^),
Its essentially Valve saying - you have done amazing work with the modding community - so here, take some donations from our cut by the authors that came from your site''

There is no actual issue at all with ''paid for mods''.
In fact i believe it is a great thing when its put out like that and in a perfect world it would be the best thing ever.
But as it is - its barely even released and like he said theres already been a takedown (maybe more by now?) for taking free content and uploading it as yours for money.
Tha,t i believe is one of the three biggest issues with this, and i'd like to see Valve and/or Beth. to take part in regulating the paid for mods, checking validity and so on together with the community. - because it will be a hefty workload and i feel its kinda low of them to simply push away the responsibility.

Another issue lies in the problem with patches, to the game and to the mods.
Your game runs perfect and its golden, then that 1 game patch makes half unplayable.
Then the few mods that play great, but one of them made a new feature that deleted made the other 2 stop working - now you could learn some basic modding and try and fix it yourself - but with money involved it might be a legal issue if you want to make a patch for it.
Then another thing that might happen would be - Paid for ''Mod A'' does one thing, then another guy makes another ''Mod B'' that does the exact same thing - but he created it from scratch - he didnt copy any of the assets or anything - how would that work then ?
And i wonder how long it takes until a website comes up with pirated ''paid mods'', and if skyrim cant run those mods - i wouldnt be suprised if a pirated skyrim surfaced that could (in which case no one gets anything at all)

The third, and my biggest issue with it, all the teamwork going on around here - people sharing assets freely leading to amazing work and growth, people linking to other great stuff freely and using other peoples items for things.
This could lead out and be nothing, would have to wait and see but my biggest fear is that people will become scared of sharing, and it will end up becoming more ''each and every modder for themselves''

Like people have said, the future is going to be a complete legal and sharing mess and it will be alot of pain, but i would say that paid mods is a great idea - IF and only IF - it gets handled in a good way. Which by my understanding of what ive read so far it wont be - but then how could you?
And i do think bethesda should put work into the game now to get better mod handling (ive got around 400 mods that im trying to get working together / merging because of that 250ish limit...)

In response to post #24678089. #24678269, #24679224, #24679304, #24680009, #24680174 are all replies on the same post.

mkess wrote:
sunshinenbrick wrote: Amazing... and not =/
Yisregaurd wrote: Thank you so much for sharing that Vid.
Arendella wrote: I saw that earlier today I couldn't stop the tears
WightMage wrote: Mfw at the end...

Though IMO, it should have been Bethesda's face, not Gabe's.
digitaltrucker wrote:

digitaltrucker you have captured my heart :)

Brilliant!

In response to post #24673389. #24673869, #24673949, #24674134, #24674659, #24674689, #24674789, #24674949, #24675064, #24675239, #24675909, #24676019, #24676044, #24676314, #24676354, #24676424, #24676519, #24676714, #24678329, #24679484, #24679859, #24680099 are all replies on the same post.

Lateraliss wrote:
carlocgc wrote: Exactly this.
Gameipedia wrote: did you not read the entire post?, His convictions as far as i can tell are to support the growth of modding community and keep a place for people to host and share mods for free, this site is run off of ads and premiums pretty much exclusively, he decided that if people want to give some of their money going into buying mods on steam towards nexus, that sure because it would help support the site, and in no way changes the site, and sure as hell does not change his beliefs which while also being NOT WHAT YOU said they were are also not to white knight against paid modding, if they are good enough they will be bought, if people can earn money doing something they enjoy, they will try to, there's nothing wrong with that and nexus isn't even involved in that. like really I just had to reiterate the very bare-bones point of this post in a much worse way both wordedly, and with misleading quotability, because apparently you either didn't read the whole post, or did not understand the point of the post.
Lateraliss wrote: A really long paragraph, but it doesn't change the facts. Do you know what it's called when you don't support something but accept money from it because "it's going to happen anyways" is? It's called selling out.

When I don't support something, I don't support it, which also means I don't take profits from it. It's called having conviction. To do that, regardless of whether "Nexus is involved in that", which it now is because he has agreed to take money from it, it's a pretty classless thing to do.

You can't bad talk the process, and then profit from it. That's called being a hypocrite.

You may think that I don't understand what he said, which I don't know how you could, because anyone with a modicum of intelligence would be able to see what he said. "I don't support the practice, but I'm going to take money from it anyways." Where he spends the money, or how he thinks this will support the modding community is moot.
phantompally76 wrote: You can buy in to his glib rhetoric and self-righteous narcissism all you want to. That doesn't change the fact that he IS condemning Valve and Steam's business practices with one hand, and accepting money made from those very business practices with the other. No matter how you apologists try to spin it, no matter how hard you close your eyes and try to wish it away, No matter how many hundreds of times you read his 5,000-word essay reassuring you that he's an innocent pawn, taking money from paid mod proceeds is a deliberate, immoral and unethical conflict of interest and a breach of trust, compounded by the fact that he wasn't forthcoming with this information, and only even addressed it because someone else made the community aware of it.

If you're too blind or stubborn or fanatical to see this, or even to stop for 10 seconds and consider it.........then this community is already poised to fall, and corporate greed has already won due to our own short-sightedness, ignorance and blatant stupidity, and blind loyalty to wolves in sheeps' clothing. Because Valve wants you to think that everything is ok. Chesko and Isoku thought everything was ok, because Valve told them everything was ok. The same thing can easily happen here.

All I'm asking is for you to not accept "I'm not doing anything wrong....this is ok" as a legitimate explanation. Open your eyes. Ask questions. Don't let yourself be deceived and tricked like the mod authors in the Steam Sellout er, I mean Rollout Bundle.
bigdeano89 wrote: Maybe you should take a look at the service provider list then, because if theres a mod site you know of, its on there. So is the MCM authors among others. Its an optional donation, nothing more, now move on and stop shouting at the world.
SjoertJansen wrote: Where does it state he does not support it? Show me. He doesn't!

He is wary of the consequences, yes. And he wants to keep modding free. Meaning, fighting to keep the ability to make a mod and upload it for absolute free. NOT, no-one can make money of mods... Where did you get that wrong?

He also makes sure this site will remain free, for as long as free mods can be made...

Fighting to keep modding a game a free thing to do, or fighting against people earning money from mods are two very distinct things.
Vidicus wrote: Actions speak louder than words. Taking part in Valve's actions shows WAY WAY WAY more to me than him typing words.

Actions ALWAYS speak louder than words.
bigdeano89 wrote: WORDS speak louder when its an explanation. I will say again, he is NOT the only site to be on the service provider list, AFKMODs and MCM menu are on there too. People are just flocking here because Chesko took a hissy fit and tried to move the blame.
phantompally76 wrote: bigdean, rest assured, the community is JUST as angry with those entities as they are with Dark0ne and with sellout mod authors and with Valve and Bethesda.

The only difference is that those entities aren't saying "I don't like this one bit, but I'll still take the money from it".

AFAIK, those entities aren't saying much of anything.

But I'm sure some white knight will swoop in and prove me wrong.
lowegule wrote: Take the money, support the free mod author. It's simple.
gastovski wrote: You are awesome Lateraliss.
bigdeano89 wrote: Thats just it, and is what none of you seem to get; Dark0ne hasnt said he dislikes paid modding, he just doesnt like its implementation just now, so the whole "saying one thing, doing another" argument is completely moot.

The point is the Nexus is and always will be free for us, end of story.
digitaltrucker wrote: He objects to the implementation, yet gladly and willingly profits from it.
phantompally76 wrote: @bigdeano You keep telling yourself that.

The fanbois on Steam thought the same thing. They were......mistaken.
bigdeano89 wrote: Its not a profit system, its a bloody donation! Its not mandatory for authors to give him a cut, and even then its a tiny amount! End of the day, Dark0ne is exploring areas to keep this site going, completely free for us all. Nexus is a massive networked business based on ad revenue and donations, we ALWAYS pay nothing unless we decide to, but we cannot expect the site to keep chugging along without looking for other ways to keep it going.
digitaltrucker wrote: Modders aren't giving him a cut. Steam is giving him a cut at the modder's request. So he's saying that he doesn't approve of Steam's model, but willingly profits from it.
bigdeano89 wrote: Oh for goodness sake, I give up. Good luck finding another FREE modding site that isnt doing the exact same thing folks. I'm done trying to talk sense into you all.
WightMage wrote: I offer a different take on the entire situation:

He can either take the small pittance that Valve is offering, when they themselves are only making a little more than the mod author themselves off of a mod (Bethesda takes 40% no matter what, Valve can either take 35%-30%, depending on the whims of the mod author),

Or he can reject it, and be seen as too good for the Steam Workshop and/or a possible opponent and roadblock. The fact of the matter is, if Bethesda and Valve wanted to destroy the Nexus, there is nothing Robin can do to stop them, even if we were to donate all our proceeds to a special legal fund JUST for him.

Valve may be a more lenient in this respect since most of their big names came from the mld scene anyway (per GabeN) but Bethesda has no such reason to be lenient. They knew we were a possible source of income for years, they just didn't act on us until they thought the time was right. And regardless of what you think of the Dark0ne's ultimately morality and ethics, it still stands that what he does, he does for the Nexus. Or at least, he thinks benefits the Nexus.

Put more simply, when you're in the position he is, you need a bit of tact in deciding when to play things smooth, what things you CAN explicitly fight against, and what things are better too accept.

The Nexus, regardless of our community and power, is still a mouse against the powerhouse that are Bethesda and Valve's whims. Our war, if we continue it, must be asymmetrical and well played. But not unless we can reunite the broken clans under SOMEONE.

Each day we fight with each other, the more ground we lose. Wrath will only get us so far- has only gotten us so far.
SjoertJansen wrote: @WightMage

Well said.
bigdeano89 wrote: You continue to speak common sense Wightmage. Thank you for being one of the sane ones.
WightMage wrote: It's all I can do. :/ This isn't the first time I've been part of a great community that was in the throes of destroying itself.

The only difference is, all the other ones are now dead.

That's like Uncle Albert sinking every single ship he served on during The War.

That's....actually fairly alarming......

In response to post #24679364. #24679719, #24679749 are all replies on the same post.

Vecordia777 wrote:
Kevin7557 wrote: Spit in one hand and wish in the other. Tell me which fills up first.

Sadly the world is filled with corruption and I don't fault the owner of this site for taking money. I think he is a bit sanctimonious about it, but that's fine.
bigdeano89 wrote: Go and try to find another modding site that doesnt have the same deal in place. Good luck trying, you wont find one.

So comply with our way or die. That mentality is why people like Dark0ne are forced to put up with Valve and Bethesda's bs.

In response to post #24677494. #24677549, #24677769, #24677774 are all replies on the same post.

digitaltrucker wrote:
bigdeano89 wrote: Now you are just scaremongering, take the tinfoil hat off for the love of God.
sunshinenbrick wrote: If we just sit by and don't do anything I fear he will be right. Google: Nouriel Roubini
digitaltrucker wrote: Not at all, what I stated is exactly what has happened in PC gaming and software as a whole in the past decade.

Mods will be absolutely no different than any other software.

The only reason this hasn't happened in modding before now is that until the last few years modding was largely under the radar.

The only way my above scenario will not play out is if the game manufacturers themselves choose not to make it happen. The games are ultimately their product.

Funny video but Nexus is not the good guy in this situation. But if you want to say that they Knights represent the community in general I am ok with that. At least I can still laugh ;D

I'm so happy to see this because these kids today don't understand the real world and how the corporations are just waiting to pounce. Once they see that there is money in mods the sharks will come. The consequences and ramifications of this are going to ripple and it will take a few years but eveybody in the gaming business is watching what happens.

If we don't fight to stop this, if we don't organize then the, the corporations will steal this all. Once they do that, there will be nothing left.

Forget about a free CK in FO4 or the next Elder Scrolls game. You'll have to buy it or they licence it out for a large amount of money.

It is not just free mods that are at risk... it is free modding.

Dark0ne stands to make hundreds of thousands of dollars (if not close to a million each year) if Pay-for-Mods becomes big as it looks like it will. The new bread of modders are just rolling over and accepting this. SOPA will be next once the Corporations see how easy this take over was. 3-5 years and SOPA will be law. That is my prediction now.

As far as Dark0ne is concerned, I don't trust him at all. He pretends to try and pin Gaber down on the reddit thread but he himself refuses to make his own opinions clear.

I have to say that everyone should read the LEGENDARY MODDER "Emma's" post on Bethesda forum or you can read it on her website here;

http://emmates.proboards.com/thread/1705/regards-charging-mods?page=1#scrollTo=42265
Edited by Psijonica

In response to post #24679789. #24680359 is also a reply to the same post.

GhostAgent wrote:
Welewa wrote: Personally, I like this idea. I would endorse it :D and I would donate to my favorite modders as a show of support and appreciation.

A "would you like to donate?" popup has already came up on my download page on a few mods today, that made me think about donating, which I did! If you put the idea into peoples heads they will do it.