ℹ️ Download History temporarily unavailable ×

Steam Service Providers, and some how needing to clarify the Nexus stance again

Dark0ne

In response to post #24731409. #24731549, #24731554, #24731689, #24732049, #24732184 are all replies on the same post.

Nightasy wrote:
MrJoseCuervo wrote: So you think you should be paid because you had to learn stuff? You find your hobby tedious? Perhaps you should find a new hobby.
digitaltrucker wrote: A is your privelege. I respect it, even though I disagree. I wish you the best and look forward to your return.

Cheers, friend!

falcor23 wrote: Sad to see you go, but this was bound to happen. Modders are going to leave because of this and the amount of attention this has gotten will bring more modders in. This has been a clusterf*#@ at best and will leave this community shattered for along time coming.

Best of luck in your future endeavors.
sunshinenbrick wrote: I think one of the major issues surrounding all this was the way it was implemented. How about a mature thought out inquiry and discussion between developers, modders, contributors and users/testers would have possibly avoided this whole sham.

It is because of how this was done that my respect for Beth and Valve has been damaged and it is only with time and future experiences that this may improve.

Let us not forget that Nexus supports all games now. There will always be new developers.
popopipo wrote: I think the titles "Give me Money for No Reason" and "Pay me for doing nothing" were aimed at Valve and Bethesda, not at modders in general.

But yes, you have people who don't understand at all what modding is about, who just behave like consumers in the worst way. They were very loud during the shitstorm. They are the same people who complain a lot on the comment section.

I do believe this paying mod thing was a very bad idea, but I do show respect to all the time modders spent working to improve the game.

A better option would be that people who donate get the latest updates first. This would encourage donations as well as encourage innovation by the modders. Greed is the only true evil in this world.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24730754. #24730929, #24731149 are all replies on the same post.

Darkarhon wrote:
phantompally76 wrote: There's no going back, I'm afraid.

I've blocked nearly two dozen mod authors as a result of this; some of them among the best mod authors in the activity.

I'm not unblocking them. I can't pretend like none of this ever happened.

And neither can they.
falcor23 wrote: I wouldn't throw the mod authors under the bus they were approached to try something new. That thing failed its not on them its on Steam and Bes to atone for this mess. The shovelware modders that came outta the woodwork for money can sit on a rusty nail for all I care though.

If you dont want to use their mod for any reason, just dont use their mods.

If you want civil war, have it ingame, not on the nexus :D

In response to post #24730754. #24730929, #24731149, #24732569 are all replies on the same post.

Darkarhon wrote:
phantompally76 wrote: There's no going back, I'm afraid.

I've blocked nearly two dozen mod authors as a result of this; some of them among the best mod authors in the activity.

I'm not unblocking them. I can't pretend like none of this ever happened.

And neither can they.
falcor23 wrote: I wouldn't throw the mod authors under the bus they were approached to try something new. That thing failed its not on them its on Steam and Bes to atone for this mess. The shovelware modders that came outta the woodwork for money can sit on a rusty nail for all I care though.
popopipo wrote: If you dont want to use their mod for any reason, just dont use their mods.

If you want civil war, have it ingame, not on the nexus :D

@ popopipo

Kudos for you sir!

In response to post #24730444. #24730534, #24730614, #24731084, #24731159, #24731329, #24731799 are all replies on the same post.

maybenexttime wrote:
phantompally76 wrote: They have a lot to answer for. Especially considering how smug and arrogant and condescending they were in responding to concerns about it.
maybenexttime wrote: Yep unfortunately, they were.
digitaltrucker wrote: Don't forget Midas Magic!

It will be a long time before things settle down again, and it never will really be the same :(
guiaugu132 wrote: And Skyforge Shields/Weapons
digitaltrucker wrote: I'm going to be a bigger man than to hold a grudge, but *snicker*
popopipo wrote: The only modder I found disappointing was the creator of Midas Magic, who invented the free mod with in game ads ! And the few guys who proposed cheat items for pay.

The community has been divided, it won't heal it wounds with resentment. Modders at the SkyUI team surely deserve more donations than what they got for all they did, they don't deserve that amount of hatred because of what they could have done.

SkyUI 5.0 was being pirated moments after it went up. This more than anything probably caused the paywall to fall.

In response to post #24732189. #24732364 is also a reply to the same post.

Harbringe wrote:
phantompally76 wrote: Fair enough.

We don't owe modders anything, either.

I think that's why it should be optional because let's not forget that a "user" or "tester" might WANT to pay a modder. Let us also not forget that a "modder" might want to donate to a "tester" or a moderator to a "troll", or between friends, or even Dark0ne donating to himself for that matter.

EDIT: Hell I might even continue to donate to Bethesda and Valve if they don't try pulling a stunt quite like this one again! :D Edited by sunshinenbrick

In response to post #24679789. #24680359, #24680884, #24680909, #24681594, #24683019, #24683494, #24686649, #24686714, #24687229, #24689004, #24689919, #24699554, #24700244, #24700564 are all replies on the same post.

GhostAgent wrote:
Welewa wrote: Personally, I like this idea. I would endorse it :D and I would donate to my favorite modders as a show of support and appreciation.
bigdeano89 wrote: A "would you like to donate?" popup has already came up on my download page on a few mods today, that made me think about donating, which I did! If you put the idea into peoples heads they will do it.
TKHBMVP wrote: I like this and I'm happy Dark0ne has already implemented the popup note to notice users about the donation feature here on Nexus.
mALX1 wrote:
These are some fantastic ideas. I would also like to see a donate button on that row of buttons for the Endorsements and Votes - so the person who comes back to endorse sees the donate option then; while they are endorsing and commenting the mod.

(To me, it is a better option than the one popping up on download before you even know if you like the mod or if it works).

secondmoto381 wrote: This idea is the key, it would help bring some modders who have already stated that they are moving to the Workshop for the money back to the Nexus. Not to mention that tons more people would donate on the "merit system".
SjoertJansen wrote: @mALX1

The donate button is already there, next to the vote button.

And I generally like the ideas, Good ideas. The popup is already there as well. Just activate the feature in your edit attributes.
Elta1 wrote: Wow... I think that is very cool. Trying to make a system more on promoting donation by not requiring it. I think he is on to something.
sunshinenbrick wrote: @ GhostAgent

Your intellectual property has been Endorsed!
AverageZombie wrote: This is a great idea if Nexus was a primary distributor but this has potential political ramifications with Valve and Bethesda considering they now stand to make money off of this. Rolling out a system to endorse donations on this site means Nexus would be pressuring mod authors to create content here (which is good, don't get me wrong) instead of on the Steam Workshop to get their income which can be seen as attempting to strong arm Bethesda and Valve. Doing that any time soon could damage relations considering how much public opinion would be swayed.

It's like a pendulum that's been lifted by with a string that represents change. If he enrolls a new system of income it cuts the string granting immediate relief of pressure but causes the public opinion to sway heavily and without direction. So in effect, cutting the string create a much more volatile situation.
anonownsyou wrote: This is good. Yes.
mALX1 wrote:

Ha! I just saw that, Thank you!
GhostAgent wrote: I want to thank each and everyone one of you for taking the time to read my long post and replying. I even got a kudos from someone (thank you). This backs my theory that the community is full of kind people willing to give. I believe we outnumber the rude (and to be blunt: "jerks") that have been yelling loudly lately. The difference is that we are gentlemen and it is not in our nature to behave so badly. This is in fact, a gentleman's response to any paid model plans. There is no call to arms, no "us vs them" attitude, just simply a better way.

@AverageZombie
Thank you for voicing your concern. I would like to share with you a different view that I see happening. I think you as well as everyone else posting here sees that this has potential to grow--which is the entire concept. As I said at the top of the post: ". . .Nexus could incorporate (the ideas) and even be seen as the standard that others will follow."

You have caught on that this "raises" the Nexus (so to speak) to a higher playing field--which is the goal. There won't/can't be any political/legal ramifications due to the fact that this is still a donation based model--and a soft one at that. (No "required donations" to download.) Nobody at anytime can tell anyone that they are not allowed to donate/freely give time/money as a thank you. If the Nexus were to become a distributing platform like Steam, then we would need to use a different play. But as is, we are not a competitor and therefore, not a problem.

You also mentioned a pendulum swinging... and that is exactly what I am hoping for. If this model is implemented and succeeds, then mod authors have two choices as to which model they prefer to use (if not both!). They can submit their work to a pay model which guarantees at least a dollar for their work, or to a donation model in a community that prides itself on the idea of giving. (I am assuming they would actually make more profit from this one.)

That leaves Steam with a decision to make: 1) Continue using the model that they have which has seen some very heavy backlash, but is still off to a fairly good start, or 2) If this system proves to be more beneficial and PR friendly, to switch over to it instead (of course with some minor adjustments). If that happens, who wins? Everybody involved. :) And if Steam adopts this model, then you can bet others will follow, and the Nexus will have been the leader in influencing that. But, then again, it might not ever go that far. (But one can hope.)

Thank you again everyone for your comments.
AverageZombie wrote: @ GhostAgent
The problem isn't really Valve, the problem is for Bethesda. They have the rights, the legal team, and the money to throw against nexus if nexus attempts to reduce profits through donations. They don't have to even be correct, just filing the lawsuit costs everyone. Legally, both people will be required to throw money at the court system regardless of the validity of a lawsuit and they have more than enough to hit the Nexus just to spite them. That's the problem. They can and will bully smaller companies that try to mess with their babies (TES and Fallout). This was proven by their ridiculous attack against Mojang.
lobo3222 wrote: great idea ghostagent i love the idea :-)

Thank you lobo3222.

Dear Nexus Community,

In light of recent events, I would like say that I still believe a stronger model for donations and giving back to the community like what I proposed earlier (see original post) is a good way to proceed forward.

I've read many comments already talking about donating to mod authors more and utilizing methods which encourage contributing to the authors and the community--which is what this model does.

For those that haven't read the above post, please do so and share your feedback. I would truly appreciate it. (I hope a staff member can see this before being buried again.) :)

Thanks again to you all; kind regards,

GhostAgent