Drawing a line under recent events and moving on

Dark0ne

In response to post #24887504. #24889644, #24889694, #24895694 are all replies on the same post.

Farvahar wrote: I donated recently through the donate button and it was a real hassle (much like renewing my subscription). Would I want to do that for each and every mod author I want to support (could be hundreds).

No.

Also, I don't like being limited to buying them a subscription to the Nexus, which is a minimum of a couple dollars. Some mods deserve a dollar or 2 (the core game can be had for 5). Most mods deserve a few cents (multiplied by hundreds of thousands of users).

This is the ideal system:

1) A wallet system, like Steam has
2) The ability to set the amount you want to donate in cash to the nearest cent
3) the ability to donate to multiple mods at once: a "donate all" button or some such
It would have been nice for the players in this (Valve, Bethesda, and Nexus, and a couple of prominent free modder types) to sit down together and hash out a suitable system that allows people to receive donations in lieu of formal payment.

The system we have now is not acceptable and "drawing a line under it" invites further turmoil.
DCWillis wrote: This should be simple. Add an area where the Creator can link a paypal donate button on the mod page.
freedom613 wrote: @DC
There already is? Unless you are referring to Workshop.
DCWillis wrote: I have donated to mod makers on Nexus. There is not a button on the mod page that goes directly to the creators paypal. It takes a few more steps then that and probably discourages some people.

I'd be more inclined to donate if it wasn't through paypal. I freaking hate paypal and refuse to use it. Edited by Azulyn

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24882324. #24883664, #24905379, #24907119, #24912199 are all replies on the same post.

strudo wrote:

I feel the donation system as it stands is flawed in that any suggestion of donating appears during the download phase, before it's even been played. I'd hazard that people aren't likely to want to donate for a mod they haven't even commenced downloading yet, and once it parts of the extensive list of mods, tracking down a particular mod on Nexus to donate probably doesn't get a look in.

I'd like to see the mod managers get on board, offering the option there of donating. Perhaps a function that can list mods sorted by length of time installed, which would offer users a method of seeing which of their list of mods have 'stood the test of time' so to speak, and are worthy of revisiting on the Nexus and making a donation.

MO has an icon for not endorsed mods. Maybe an icon for not donated (that can just be cleared manually, or the ability to highlight a mod with a donate reminder (for mod users in their individual mod manager, not by mod authors to apply to all downloads of their mod). The point being it needs to be something in the mod manager, since the donate options on Nexus only get seen when visiting the site, which occurs much less frequently when actually playing the content which is under consideration for donations.

jbvertexx wrote: I agree. Donating at download is not the time and place.

I like the list of mods that you have previously downloaded that pops up once in a while. Perhaps offer the option to endorse and donate in this list. It is a good, well placed, and well timed reminder.
strudo wrote: It would be a great start there, but still requires the user to visit the Nexus site to see that list. Once a player has got their mod setup running and ready to play, they will visit the Nexus far less frequently, and hence not see the messages.

I use MO, so not sure how NMM works, but I need to start MO every time I play, so a reminder there would be the perfect place.
Enidehalas wrote: I think the "donate" at the download page is mostly to make the option known. You will never give anything to anyone before even playing, of course, but when you come back to endorse, you will know the option exists, and you have it in mind during the whole playthru.

That's when to remind people. Everybody who donate, endorse too, none who doesn't endorse, donate
fireundubh wrote: We've been told that the donation message will be moved from download to endorsement. Fewer people will see the message, of course, but that's okay, as long as the message is reaching the people who most like a mod.

I disagree- I think it should be placed somewhere obvious as a reminder. Maybe combine the idea from a thread or two above and have NMM/Mod Organizer remind people what mods they haven't donated to yet?

The reason it was rarely used last time is because most people includinf myself didn't know it existed.

In response to post #24896494. #24899599, #24903244, #24913194, #24916634 are all replies on the same post.

hafizlordfeast wrote: Considering that you, Mr. Dark0ne or Mr. Robin Scott (If I got the right guy), read the comments, may I suggest something about the endorsements? Considering that the Nexus community seems to prioritize endorsement and it will considered disrespectful or unhelpful for someone to use the mod but not recommend it enough, by not press the endorsement button. So, something probably need to do about this problem.

I will say that it's been a long time since I ever download mods (Considering that my computer broke, and all I do is tracking mods until I buy a new great computer), but I do remember that it will take one hour for the Nexus to allow you to endorse. Because it will probably be a hassle after downloading multiple mods at one time, which make me forget to endorse the mods that I used. Other issue is my internet is so slow, it will annoy me to even bother, browsing each mod page again to endorse.

My suggestion is this, one hour after the mod download is done, when visiting the Nexus again after that, there should be a pop-up message and listed the mods that you have downloaded and ask if you want to endorse them or not. Sort of like checking list, which makes it much better. Should also make the "Cancel" button if the mod doesn't deserve the endorsement.

I don't know this kind of request have been done before, and I'm sorry for probably being rude to tell someone to make something on this web page that myself, have no contribution to it whatsoever. But people do care about endorsement and recommendation, both mod users and mod makers alike. Just to let you know.
Razzeil wrote: I use NMM you can endorse from it.
Tyerial12 wrote: can from mod organizer as well <endorse is key =D
hafizlordfeast wrote: So the mod managers can be used to endorse, huh? Sorry if I don't know this considering I never got to play Skyrim anymore. But, I do think it's better if the pop-up message that I stated need to be implemented as well. People usually don't look twice even if the endorse button is right in front of them, IMO.

Just a more clear reminder for mod users to at least endorse the mod that they fond of, and need to be supported. I don't know how the mod managers setting up the endorse button, but if the mod users still doesn't press it, then they need to be told again to press it.

Someone might feel annoyed if there was a pop-up message, but it's not like you downloading mods every day.
VaporWatch wrote: When I download a new mod, I usually get a pop-up reminding me of the mods I haven't endorsed and giving me the chance to endorse them. Is this not the same for everyone? Is it because I mainly use NMM to download?

i get the same pop up when i go to download them. i endorse all mods because lets face it mod authors do deserve some kudos right? only mods i dont endorse are the ones that just dont work at all

In response to post #24882324. #24883664, #24905379, #24907119, #24912199, #24920549 are all replies on the same post.

strudo wrote:

I feel the donation system as it stands is flawed in that any suggestion of donating appears during the download phase, before it's even been played. I'd hazard that people aren't likely to want to donate for a mod they haven't even commenced downloading yet, and once it parts of the extensive list of mods, tracking down a particular mod on Nexus to donate probably doesn't get a look in.

I'd like to see the mod managers get on board, offering the option there of donating. Perhaps a function that can list mods sorted by length of time installed, which would offer users a method of seeing which of their list of mods have 'stood the test of time' so to speak, and are worthy of revisiting on the Nexus and making a donation.

MO has an icon for not endorsed mods. Maybe an icon for not donated (that can just be cleared manually, or the ability to highlight a mod with a donate reminder (for mod users in their individual mod manager, not by mod authors to apply to all downloads of their mod). The point being it needs to be something in the mod manager, since the donate options on Nexus only get seen when visiting the site, which occurs much less frequently when actually playing the content which is under consideration for donations.

I like the list of mods that you have previously downloaded that pops up once in a while. Perhaps offer the option to endorse and donate in this list. It is a good, well placed, and well timed reminder.
strudo wrote: It would be a great start there, but still requires the user to visit the Nexus site to see that list. Once a player has got their mod setup running and ready to play, they will visit the Nexus far less frequently, and hence not see the messages.

I use MO, so not sure how NMM works, but I need to start MO every time I play, so a reminder there would be the perfect place.
Enidehalas wrote: I think the "donate" at the download page is mostly to make the option known. You will never give anything to anyone before even playing, of course, but when you come back to endorse, you will know the option exists, and you have it in mind during the whole playthru.

That's when to remind people. Everybody who donate, endorse too, none who doesn't endorse, donate
fireundubh wrote: We've been told that the donation message will be moved from download to endorsement. Fewer people will see the message, of course, but that's okay, as long as the message is reaching the people who most like a mod.
WightMage wrote: I disagree- I think it should be placed somewhere obvious as a reminder. Maybe combine the idea from a thread or two above and have NMM/Mod Organizer remind people what mods they haven't donated to yet?

The reason it was rarely used last time is because most people includinf myself didn't know it existed.

you can also just minimize the page of book mark the mod so you can later donate if you wish too.

In response to post #24907724. #24908549, #24909709, #24910794 are all replies on the same post.

soupdragon1234 wrote:
I'm pretty sure the next Bethesda big game will be Fallout 4, not TES6, especially not after this fiasco

Games have such a long development cycle time that a storm in a teacup such as this will have no bearing on it. Pay mods will come and since authors work is apparently "worthless" it simply removes any sense of guilt they might have felt about monetizing them.

Good luck guys and don't look back. :thumbsup:

retnav98 wrote: Skyrim is a GAME...that has exceeded its shelflife. I watch the feedback from the Valve announcement .nearing 5000 responses to the " We STILL think there are good ideas here" Yada yada yada. The commenters may have had Console copies of Skyrim.. I did, and then I purchased the game 2 more times for PC and spent 2 more years playing and modding. The majority of response posts come from people who have little to NO recent involvement with the PC game.

So who are they? Who is screaming one minute and then offering their new-found respect the next? I'd say that there was some dastardly agenda afoot if it weren't for the simple truth...TESV has reached 8% of it's original sale price; Its time is past as Games go.

It'll be hard NOT to look back..
Enidehalas wrote: Should have been more clear, but I meant "the next big game Bethesda will annonce". And I think it will be fallout 4 exactly because of developpement times (makes more sense than TES6, it must be around pre alpha, not enough for public annoncement)

And I think this fiasco does have an impact, not on the release date, but on the annoncement date. I'm pretty sure FO4 was to be annonced in E3 soon, with or without paid mods (but I'm pretty sure there WILL BE paid mods), and they just wanted to get the backlash early with an "old game". This will make the annoncements schedule/strategy a bit different I think. They can't afford bad publicity.

It's a good portion of the difference between "a game that sold in big piles" like Oblivion, and a game that sold in "OMFGWTF CRAPLOAD of piles" like skyrim
Darkarhon wrote: Its obviously Fallout4

No, I got what you're saying...The next big...

The events of last week have alerted our spidey senses. Its possible E3 will be far LESS than what many anticipated...or it may go down as if nothing of consequence occurred last week...But I think most people will be viewing it through the prism of past events.

Edited by retnav98

In response to post #24896494. #24899599, #24903244, #24913194, #24916634, #24921674 are all replies on the same post.

hafizlordfeast wrote: Considering that you, Mr. Dark0ne or Mr. Robin Scott (If I got the right guy), read the comments, may I suggest something about the endorsements? Considering that the Nexus community seems to prioritize endorsement and it will considered disrespectful or unhelpful for someone to use the mod but not recommend it enough, by not press the endorsement button. So, something probably need to do about this problem.

I will say that it's been a long time since I ever download mods (Considering that my computer broke, and all I do is tracking mods until I buy a new great computer), but I do remember that it will take one hour for the Nexus to allow you to endorse. Because it will probably be a hassle after downloading multiple mods at one time, which make me forget to endorse the mods that I used. Other issue is my internet is so slow, it will annoy me to even bother, browsing each mod page again to endorse.

My suggestion is this, one hour after the mod download is done, when visiting the Nexus again after that, there should be a pop-up message and listed the mods that you have downloaded and ask if you want to endorse them or not. Sort of like checking list, which makes it much better. Should also make the "Cancel" button if the mod doesn't deserve the endorsement.

I don't know this kind of request have been done before, and I'm sorry for probably being rude to tell someone to make something on this web page that myself, have no contribution to it whatsoever. But people do care about endorsement and recommendation, both mod users and mod makers alike. Just to let you know.
Razzeil wrote: I use NMM you can endorse from it.
Tyerial12 wrote: can from mod organizer as well <endorse is key =D
hafizlordfeast wrote: So the mod managers can be used to endorse, huh? Sorry if I don't know this considering I never got to play Skyrim anymore. But, I do think it's better if the pop-up message that I stated need to be implemented as well. People usually don't look twice even if the endorse button is right in front of them, IMO.

Just a more clear reminder for mod users to at least endorse the mod that they fond of, and need to be supported. I don't know how the mod managers setting up the endorse button, but if the mod users still doesn't press it, then they need to be told again to press it.

Someone might feel annoyed if there was a pop-up message, but it's not like you downloading mods every day.
VaporWatch wrote: When I download a new mod, I usually get a pop-up reminding me of the mods I haven't endorsed and giving me the chance to endorse them. Is this not the same for everyone? Is it because I mainly use NMM to download?
Tyerial12 wrote: i get the same pop up when i go to download them. i endorse all mods because lets face it mod authors do deserve some kudos right? only mods i dont endorse are the ones that just dont work at all

Speaking of endorsements, how about increasing the level of user-developer feedback?

I have a mod with a low endorsement count. But I don't know what that means... It could be because the implementation is unbalances the Gameplay, it also could be because the users just don't like the idea, and it could also, be because the mod itself affects the Long-term Gameplay and the users just forget it's even in their load order.

Which, by the way brings me back to another suggestion. The current system of reminders works chronologically, e.g. the mod you installed first, pops up first, and the later mods are getting shelved indefinitely. I think it would be fair, if the system prioritized the mods by the inverse endorsement count. E.g. the least endorsed, mod comes up first and vice versa, giving some of us a chance at some feedback.

In response to post #24900869. #24904704, #24905524, #24905659, #24906294, #24906494 are all replies on the same post.

SoMteam wrote: What we need is a second video game crash. Otherwise the greed will ruin the fun of games entirely. The comments in this thread back me up on this.

Taiolu wrote: Soon. The games+ thing hipster indies are doing, the ban from games feature valve is doing, and gamergate with its autoblocker thing going will all combine into a storm of hellfire into an autoblocker for games. Consoles will become nonexistant with the turn of quantum computers and all that will be left is a sea of pure chaos that sweeps videogames to death. Compatibility with these games will not be bothered by the likes of microsoft, nvidia may likely perish. In the end of the storm may come a day, a game on par with doom in terms of beginnings, and the chaos will cease and form an even better method of video games. Time shall have passed where virtual realty lets you even smell the air around you. All will be well, there just needs to be a big enough shitstorm first.
WightMage wrote: More likely, the gaming industry's bubble will just burst, ruining most of the largest ones and a few indie companies, just like the housing market. It'll recover, of course, but not for awhile.
phantompally76 wrote: I wish there was a way to bury all those cash-grab mods in the New Mexico desert....
Vesuvius1745 wrote: Nice E.T. reference.

Atari rushed the programmers to get that cartridge on the shelves before Christmas, and the rest is history. We certainly see a lot of that today, and nobody learns from the mistakes of the past. It's about money money money profit profit profit.
Blademaster1215 wrote: AVGN movie was rather well timed on this one considering that reference....

Phantom,

"...me thinks he doth protest too much."

If you continue to RAIL against pay mods in the manner you do, you only accomplish dissonance. You believe that your protest was the reason for Valvethesda's capitulation..I think it is folly to believe it was the only reason or even the primary motivation...But I think that even if you are correct, continuing to vilify Modders of any position, only hurts your "SIDE" as most simply IGNORE your posts.

Or maybe, you continue to protest for that reason. Edited by retnav98

Sir, your position on donations sicken me as I saw you kick off fantastic mod (Skyrim Romance) just few months ago for just asking for donations. I see nothing wrong with that, especially since it was a very complex mod that required voice actors.

I think you need to get a grip, stop complaining and come up with a reasonable policy regarding donations.

And no, I'm not author of any mod, lest you try and ban me too.

In response to post #24882324. #24883664, #24905379, #24907119, #24912199, #24920549, #24921739 are all replies on the same post.

strudo wrote:

WightMage wrote: I disagree- I think it should be placed somewhere obvious as a reminder. Maybe combine the idea from a thread or two above and have NMM/Mod Organizer remind people what mods they haven't donated to yet?

Tyerial12 wrote: you can also just minimize the page of book mark the mod so you can later donate if you wish too.

I'd say keep the donate message in the download phase too.
I'm just now updating some mods and it appeared, a decent reminder seeing as I know at least what the older version had to offer and the newer version will likely enhance it further.
It also serves well if I'm re-downloading a mod I know is good, whatever the reason may be, e.g. fresh Skyrim install. Edited by Arpaleggia

In response to post #24925259.

lesliewifeofbath wrote: Sir, your position on donations sicken me as I saw you kick off fantastic mod (Skyrim Romance) just few months ago for just asking for donations. I see nothing wrong with that, especially since it was a very complex mod that required voice actors.

I think you need to get a grip, stop complaining and come up with a reasonable policy regarding donations.

And no, I'm not author of any mod, lest you try and ban me too.

What? The authors tried to start a $50,000 Kickstarter for their mod. Even they admitted it was misguided and against Betheda's T&Cs.

I think with all the horrible events going on in the world you need to take a step back, get some perspective and work out what really 'sickens' you.