Preventing Crashes to Desktop

Baphomet

I'm tempted to offer a truly bizarre suggestion since it appears that your system is plenty enough machine to run MW. I know this might sound odd... but here goes.

Un-install that Soundblaster audio card. That's right... use the Add/Remove Hardware icon in "My Computer" and un-install that bad boy. Then pull it out, reboot and fire up MW.

I know, I know... what does a sound card have to do with it... try it. If it doesn't help, just plug the card back in. Reinstalling with WinXP should be a piece of cake, and I will grant you FULL Flaming Rights.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it was a stretch, I know, and the only reason I suggested it is that I've had problems with MY SBLive soundcard crashing my system, and I've heard the same from a couple other people as well. I swear once I pulled mine, my whole system got more stable. I'm now running on-board sound, but I don't mind... it was a good trade.

As for your problem, I'm not sure what to tell you. That's a real stumper.

((thinking))

A couple questions: Is your dad's and/or brother's system running SD RAM (133) as well?

Have you tried shutting down all your "backround" applications that Windows loads at startup?

I'm rapidly running out of ideas here...

My brother are playing it on a Laptop :(

Can it be that its because I use Tweak-XP and the Video card tweak? and the CPU tweak? And ever since I heard that about programs in the background I close them all (even MSN so I can't ask Switch for help :P)

My dads comps specs are:

Motherboard: Soltek SL-75DRV5

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2200+

Ram: PQI 512 mb pc2700 DDR-ram

Harddrives: Seagate Barracuda IV Fluid 80 gb 7200 rpm

Ibm/Hitachi 60 gb 7200 rpm

Soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster Live m/SPDIF

Videocard: Inno 3D Geforce 4 MX 440

got no Idea about my brothers laptop through

Okay, honestly, I'm stumped.

The ONLY other thing I can come up with to try, would be set your game resolution low, put all your options down to the minumum (no acceleration on your sound, reduce the AI, view distance, etc), shut off the sound, etc. In short, do everything you can to minimize the processing load on your machine. See if THAT helps, if it does, I would say that it indicates that something, somewhere - hardware-wise - is being stressed to the point of crashing your game.

Got to the same conclusion myself since I have discovered that as long as I stand 100% still the game doesn't crash, gotta run my Virus scanner and Ad-Aware and see what else that can take so many resources with no shadows (as in how many shadows an object can have and such) I could run the game for about 1 min before crash (where I jumped around, runned and hacked)

EDIT: Game STILL crashes :blink: :blink:

• 4 weeks later...

Im my case it helped to turn music down completely as the game tended to CTD when I was attacked, when changing area or any situation which causes music to change.

Now it still crashes when my poor mage is smacked too hard, so hard that the whole game passes out! :blink:

Seriously, I don't know why this happens, maybe it's when health drops too far below zero or, again, some sound related problem (the smacking sound and my PC's whimpering).

Anyway turning off music helped avoiding some CTDs. Hope that helps.

Alberto

• 1 month later...
i dont think anyone has mentioned this, but after experimenting on my friends computer, always put the draw distance 90% full at the most, or it will crash at 100% full, dont know why though, but it went from crashing every 5 minutes to never crashing at all, so it must work.