Unrealistic expecations on modders.

gunslinger6792

I think a big part of house mods is the lighting. If the lighting is bad it changes the mood of the room. Blank white lights will give a cold feeling when slightly orange lights will give the room a nice warm feeling. I give feedback on mods i enjoy.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is some truth to the whole "no one wants a house mod" line of thought you have: I'm fairly sure that, by now anyway, most people already found the house mod that they're planning on sticking too. Or don't even need a house mod. I myself just use Novac as my home base.

As for the demoralizing effect, the best advice I can give is don't take it too personally. Even the most popular mods here on the Nexus don't exactly have a good "endorsements to downloads" ratio. The question you have to ask yourself is this: Do you actually need dozens, hundreds, or thousands of people endorsing/congratulating to actually feel good about your work? If you're modding simply to get praise, then you're going to have a bad time.

A man takes what he can get when living in the wild, wild west or the Wasteland. Stiff upper lip and pay your dues like the big modders do ~shrug~. Good hunting, carry on..

I think a big part of house mods is the lighting. If the lighting is bad it changes the mood of the room. Blank white lights will give a cold feeling when slightly orange lights will give the room a nice warm feeling. I give feedback on mods i enjoy.

Lighting is a big part and very tricky. It's something I've been working on.

FishNeedles: I use a combo of Puce Mooses and XFO tweaks and then I went through myself and hand removed and change level lists of a lot of items (water,food,ammo,caps), but these two should give you a good start:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/35015

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/37871

Graeystone: I used to have to upload my patches like that, I had a bad internet connection where I could only download and upload so many gig a month (which I had share with 3 other people) so there was no way I could upload larger files more then once. ):

Thanks much for the response. I will definitely implement choice esps from the Puce Moose tweaks. Especially those that remove items, make things more expensive, give you less caps for sales, etc. Will be great on my next playthrough. Have you noticed any compatibility issues? It seems that a lot of those functions were implemented in PN. Fall height damage, slower backpedeling, responsive kill reactions, etc. The XFO NV seems kinda vague and sounds like it will definitely cause conflicts, so I'm not sure about getting that. I run a ton of mods, so I try to be careful about what I'm implementing.

Thanks again!

Edited by FishNeedles

All the stuff in XFO is in its own separate .esp so you can easy pick and choose anything you want, I just use the ones that lower the chance of Medical/Chems/Caps/ect.

I also run all these mods through FNVEdit to remove conflicts (they all seem to edit some different level lists but there are ones that are the same you need to remove) and then combined them into one .esp, make sure that PN loads AFTER them and you should be fine I use them all together without trouble. PN does not change all the items with their scripts.

I dont use all of Puce's stuff just these:

Reduced World Items

Lonesome Road Mod Pack

Old World Blues Mod Pack

Destructible Ordnance

Reduced Ammo and Chems

Tougher Economy

Rude Awakening

Edited by nivea

FishNeedles: I use a combo of Puce Mooses and XFO tweaks and then I went through myself and hand removed and change level lists of a lot of items (water,food,ammo,caps), but these two should give you a good start:

Graeystone: I used to have to upload my patches like that, I had a bad internet connection where I could only download and upload so many gig a month (which I had share with 3 other people) so there was no way I could upload larger files more then once. ):

Thanks much for the response. I will definitely implement choice esps from the Puce Moose tweaks. Especially those that remove items, make things more expensive, give you less caps for sales, etc. Will be great on my next playthrough. Have you noticed any compatibility issues? It seems that a lot of those functions were implemented in PN. Fall height damage, slower backpedeling, responsive kill reactions, etc. The XFO NV seems kinda vague and sounds like it will definitely cause conflicts, so I'm not sure about getting that. I run a ton of mods, so I try to be careful about what I'm implementing.

Thanks again!

All the stuff in XFO is in its own separate .esp so you can easy pick and choose anything you want, I just use the ones that lower the chance of Medical/Chems/Caps/ect.

I also run all these mods through FNVEdit to remove conflicts (they all seem to edit some different level lists but there are ones that are the same you need to remove) and then combined them into one .esp, make sure that PN loads AFTER them and you should be fine I use them all together without trouble. PN does not change all the items with their scripts.

Reduced World Items

Lonesome Road Mod Pack

Old World Blues Mod Pack

Destructible Ordnance

Reduced Ammo and Chems

Tougher Economy

Rude Awakening

I, admittedly, haven't used FNVEdit much, other than to remove unwanted master references and to check for conflicts. Are you referring to the creation of a merged patch by loading only these esps from those 2 mods? Or do you mean you created a single esp file and aren't loading any of the separate esps? The former I think is easy enough to do by loading only the esp files I want from these mods, then selecting the "create a merged patch" under "other". Does that sound right? Or do you load every esm/esp you have in your load list and then create a merged patch from that?

Thanks again!

Reduced World Items

Lonesome Road Mod Pack

Old World Blues Mod Pack

Destructible Ordnance

Reduced Ammo and Chems

Tougher Economy

Rude Awakening

I, admittedly, haven't used FNVEdit much, other than to remove unwanted master references and to check for conflicts. Are you referring to the creation of a merged patch by loading only these esps from those 2 mods? Or do you mean you created a single esp file and aren't loading any of the separate esps? The former I think is easy enough to do by loading only the esp files I want from these mods, then selecting the "create a merged patch" under "other". Does that sound right? Or do you load every esm/esp you have in your load list and then create a merged patch from that?

No I mean combining all those mods into one single .esp to save space for more .esp after I remove the conflicts in FNVEdit, you dont have to do that I was only stating what I did for my load order stuff.

Merged patches must have ALL mods loaded that you want to use, not just a few. We are however taking this topic away from its original post, so if you need more information just pm me I guess.

There is some truth to the whole "no one wants a house mod" line of thought you have: I'm fairly sure that, by now anyway, most people already found the house mod that they're planning on sticking too. Or don't even need a house mod. I myself just use Novac as my home base.

As for the demoralizing effect, the best advice I can give is don't take it too personally. Even the most popular mods here on the Nexus don't exactly have a good "endorsements to downloads" ratio. The question you have to ask yourself is this: Do you actually need dozens, hundreds, or thousands of people endorsing/congratulating to actually feel good about your work? If you're modding simply to get praise, then you're going to have a bad time.

I'll second that. or third that, haven't read all the responses. There are already some good house mods, but i get the feeling people don't really look past certain X endorsements mods. Example, "oh, this mod doesn't have many endorsements, so it must suck." so once they get out the recent files or main page they're pretty much forgotten in some cases. I Downloaded some pretty neat ones that don't even have 10 mods and they work great. In some cases it's not like i don't leave feedback, it's that the mod author has long abandoned the modding scene so.. =/.

I'm new to the modding scene, but in general on the net I'd say that if someone has a good experience there's a 0.1% chance they'll leave feedback, and if they have a bad experience an 100% chance they'll leave feedback. ;) It's just the way people are. Having said that, I agree that salesmanship and knowing your target audience is a good idea. Personally I think it would be cool to have some small quest that you need to unlock the full features of the house, e.g. a mysterious broken robot a la ED-E, a locked door, a note from the former inhabitants, a basement full of mysterious objects, a neighbour that hates you for no good reason. Perhaps you could better cater to a hardcore audience too by making some features optional, or dependent on difficulty level. By the way, I looked in the scripting reference for how you detect the difficulty level, no luck yet! Anybody?

I feel like this thread strikes me a bit as I'm really passive on the Nexus. Only now have have I given a great mod like Project Nevada and a few other mods my endorsements after using them since I began using mods several years ago.

Anyways, don't feel disheartened by lack of feedback. bben46 gave some great advice that you should seriously consider trying, as I know myself that I tend not to download mods without a proper description.