Hide or Ignore Functionality

VanScythe

As it stands, there are over 300k files for over 1,300 games. While browsing is less troublesome with filters, it can still take days worth of hours to search through them all for a single game, especially with so many redundancies and personal time constraints. Not solely because of preference, but also for other reasons. Sometimes a mod is dated and has been replaced by something newer, sometimes an author has merged a mod inside another but still leaves it up, or replaced one of their own without taking the deprecated one down. Perhaps someone has poor memory and forgets which mods they decided they weren't interested in before, and end up looking through them again by accident, especially when they come back to a game after years and have to redownload everything.

Whatever the case or reason for doing it, I would suggest implementing some kind of ignore function for the site, so that a user can hide specific mods from view. Perhaps adding the option to the "+" drop-down on the thumbnails or to the "buttons" at the top of mod pages. If you wanted to review them at some point, there could be an additional filter added to searches for hidden items, in case you added one by accident or change your mind about something.

What do you guys think? Is it being too micromanage-y, or are there others that might use this feature as well?

While it doesn't cover your specific use case for per-mod preferences, you can block content by certain authors, or with certain tags here: https://help.nexusmods.com/article/39-how-do-i-hide-or-show-adult-or-other-specific-content

What you're asking for would be cool but it's a fairly large technical challenge that needs to be properly considered to see how viable it is. Essentially the more granular your filters, the harder our site search has to work to show you relevant content.

• 2 weeks later...

I can appreciate the monumental effort a project like this would require, especially on site resources. Something this specific in nature would certainly inhibit the search's efficiency. Thank you for taking some time to respond to this, though. I'm sure you're all incredibly busy with the rest of your goings-on, so I am grateful for your consideration.

I would also like to say as an aside that I am extremely appreciative of what you all do here at Nexus Mods. Gaming has saved my life on several occasions and this site in particular has aided that in a foundational manner. Thank you all for what you do and for your contributions to this community that I love. There has been a lot of vitriol lately and I don't often see much positivity any more. So, please have this little thanks, for all that it is worth.

For a reality check, I left Nexus mods a decade ago, and what follows was as true then as it is now.

Do not believe anyone who tells you that mods can be blocked from, or included in, search results by using TAG selection. Tags are useless, simply because they are unused. There is no requirement which necessitates an author to appropriately tag their mods, thus tags are used sporadically at best and mods seldom get tagged. Worse, before the redesign of Nexus Mods, the mod upload process prompted authors with the ability to add tags. With the redesign, that prompt was dropped.

Having said that, someone is going to say, "but you as a user can tag mods". What a farce. Even if half the mods have tags (which is generous), there remains 163,000 plus mods without tags. You gonna tag them all? Not you, who?

There used to be a statistic on game pages which showed the count of mods which had no tags. That statistic was removed when Nexus "redesigned" the game site. The number was too big and gave people like me (and others) too much ammunition to bash Nexus Mods for misleading people about tags.

Way back ten years ago, some people recommended a solution that might light a fire under mod authors and induce them to supply tags for their mods. Allow users to exclude mods from search results if the mod is NOT tagged.

Couple that with requiring authors to supply tags when uploading their mods in the future, and then tags just might become useful.

But alas, nothing has ever been done, and Nexus Staff members keep spreading the same misinformation about using tags to influence search results.