Can't pick Master or Expert locks despite full Perception and Lockpick Skill

mst3kfangirl

Every time I try to pick a lock that is either Master or Expert I get "This lock is too difficult". This save is at level 113. I have a level 94 save that can unlocked Expert and Master locks. I can't find this problem on Google so is it just a glitch? My load order is below:

0 0 Fallout4.esm
1 1 DLCRobot.esm
2 2 DLCworkshop01.esm
3 3 DLCCoast.esm
4 4 DLCworkshop02.esm
5 5 DLCworkshop03.esm
6 6 DLCNukaWorld.esm
7 7 Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch.esp
254 FE 0 CraftAmmo.esl
8 8 CraftingPack.esm
9 9 HUDFramework.esm
10 a XDI.esm
11 b ArmorKeywords.esm
12 c WorkshopFramework.esm
13 d SS2.esm
254 FE 1 CraftingPackCombined.esl
14 e SS2_XDI Patch.esp
15 f Talon PA.esp
16 10 galaxy news radio.esp
17 11 PiperCaitCurieDialogueOverhaul.esp
18 12 Vault45.esp
19 13 SOTS.esp
20 14 WelcometoGoodneighbor.esp
21 15 CraftingPackCombined-AWKCR-Patch.esp
22 16 PersonalRadio.esp
23 17 BallisticDogGear.esp
24 18 AWKCR - Mod Power Armor Engine Glitch Fix.esp
25 19 FunctionalDisplays.esp
26 1a FunctionalDisplays-Collectibles.esp
27 1b FunctionalDisplays-MISC-HTNJ.esp
254 FE 2 odt - pip boy skins.esp
28 1c _WastelandBallistics_.esp
29 1d 3dnpc_fo4.esp
30 1e JUBlood.esp
31 1f findingbarryellery (2).esp
32 20 AbandonAllHope1.esp
33 21 the library.esp
34 22 Woodfuzzy_CroupManor.esp
35 23 smugglers.esp
36 24 FemsheppingsCliffsideHome.esp
37 25 AGNISNikaCola01.esp
38 26 AGNISNikaCola01-XDI patch.esp
39 27 EasyCitySettlement.esp
40 28 wrvr.esp
41 29 atlanticofficesf23.esp
42 2a bombshelder.esp
43 2b radioactivestories.esp
44 2c DrMyersLab.esp
vault167v1.0000.esp
45 2d Minutemen Supply Caches.esp
46 2e alieninvasion.esp
47 2f PrivateContract.esp
48 30 themysterylake.esp
49 31 ATaleOfTwoTwins.esp
50 32 cat_wildlands.esp
51 33 2vaultcollection.esp
52 34 Abandoned Appartmentsv1.0.esp
53 35 USS Phoenix.esp
54 36 USSQuincy.esp
55 37 WastelandPreppers.esp
56 38 R&DDep.esp
57 39 BostonBay.esp
58 3a RM_Mannequin_Raiders.esp
59 3b AtomicRadio.esp
254 FE 3 SS2Addon_MS_BareEssentials.esp
60 3c classicsupersledge.esp
61 3d G3Family.esp
62 3e moddablerobotsettlers.esp
63 3f liberty_pa.esp
Classic Combat Armor.esp
SOTS_AWKCR_AS_Patch.esp
64 40 Scrap Everything - Ultimate Edition.esp

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an old timer of many games, including earlier Fallouts, but a noob to FO4. So any specific advice I have may be way off. That said:-

Could be a corrupted save or have you installed or uninstalled a mod between levels 94 and 113? Are locks in the main game affected as well as a mod location? And consider mods you may have (or had but removed) that effect perks, character or companion altering mods, or possibly a quest mod. Those would be my starting points. However, one simple thing you could try first is using console commands to give yourself the master lock perk again.

The ID code for the Master Locksmith Perk (Locksmith level 3) is 00052401. You'd prob need to type "player.addperk 00052401" without the speech marks, and hit return. However, if there's something wonky with your Locksmith level 3, try giving yourself level 4 (which is master + bobbypins never break): 001d246a

Other than that, you've provided a load order list which is the standard thing to do but sadly that isn't always helpful because:-

a) it doesn't show what you've removed and, more importantly,

b) irritatingly modders sometimes don't give their .esp files a logical or related name. Modders take note!

However, looking at your mods I see one "smugglers.esp" which may be innocent but I'd start there simply because smuggling sounds like locks AND because I think that relates to a mod which is currently now hidden with no explanation - so maybe something's wrong with it? That's about all I have I'm afraid. Good luck with it.

Edited by streetyson

I'm an old timer of many games, including earlier Fallouts, but a noob to FO4. So any specific advice I have may be way off. That said:-

Could be a corrupted save or have you installed or uninstalled a mod between levels 94 and 113? Are locks in the main game affected as well as a mod location? And consider mods you may have (or had but removed) that effect perks, character or companion altering mods, or possibly a quest mod. Those would be my starting points. However, one simple thing you could try first is using console commands to give yourself the master lock perk again.

The ID code for the Master Locksmith Perk (Locksmith level 3) is 00052401. You'd prob need to type "player.addperk 00052401" without the speech marks, and hit return. However, if there's something wonky with your Locksmith level 3, try giving yourself level 4 (which is master + bobbypins never break): 001d246a

Other than that, you've provided a load order list which is the standard thing to do but sadly that isn't always helpful because:-

a) it doesn't show what you've removed and, more importantly,

b) irritatingly modders sometimes don't give their .esp files a logical or related name. Modders take note!

However, looking at your mods I see one "smugglers.esp" which may be innocent but I'd start there simply because smuggling sounds like locks AND because I think that relates to a mod which is currently now hidden with no explanation - so maybe something's wrong with it? That's about all I have I'm afraid. Good luck with it.

Unfortunately, getting rid of the smugglers.esp and doing the addperk did nothing. Still can't unlock Expert and Master locks.