FOSE not working after Oct. 13th Update

Prophoid

I just got Fallout 3: GOTY on PC. Having played it for many hours on consoles previously, I wanted to start my PC adventure with mods. I have the nexus mod man Vortex, and that's what I've been using to install and manage mods. For some reason I can't find a way to get the Fallout Scrip Extender to work. I've tried installing the latest version; I've tried installing the beta version. Neither seem to work. When I launch the executable it tells me I have an unknown version of Fallout. I have the suspicion it's because of the recent update on the 13th of Oct. Is there anything that could support this thesis? Is there anything I simply don't understand about managing mods? I appreciate any help that gets sent this way.

Hello. i find a mod, need the Fallout Scrip Extender. Do i have this problem and can't run the game. What this tool, do ? That's all. Thanks. ---- i just start to download mods for Fallout 3-----

If your version of Fallout 3 was updated to remove the requirement for Games For Windows Live, you will need to check the FOSE download page to see if it is supported.

The Oct. 13, 2021 update by Steam broke the game for anyone using any files that change the fallout.exe. FOSE is the first that comes to my mind. Until these mods are updated, you cannot use them. You can revert the game back to the older version by using the tool linked by Ethreon. This is just another reason I will avoid Steam :yucky: like the plague.

• 5 months later...

To those who get this error; use the tool posted by someone else to downgrade the Fallout exe, right here; https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/229685991475118093/898181596925001748/Fallout3Downgrader.7z

Then you might get an error about not having the dll for windows live, so you'll have to download that from here; Games for Windows LIVE xLive.dll error fix at Fallout 3 Nexus - Mods and community (nexusmods.com) and manually install to the directory.

Hopefully that's all that's needed. Bout to try my game out now.

EDIT; game launched just fine. This oughta work for everyone.