The Rise and Fall of Videogames

Slaiv

I've been thinking- in a few years, videogames will be most likely be dead. That's right - no more Zelda, Mario, Final Fantasy, Elder Scrolls, or Warcraft....

Let me explain - We've flooded the market. We rushed too fast. Graphics are soon coming to their hight -where they can get no better. Same with physics and sound. They're reaching their heights, also.

Microsoft's XNA shows this. They're trying to make a game platform [not console] with the best graphics and phsyics available. They're doing this because games are beginning to cost millions of dollars. With this, the developers only have to pay a small fee to licence the XNA engine with the physics and graphics already done, so they just have to make the game. With this technology, there can pretty much be only one of each type of game. Sure, there can be continuations of games, with different storylines; and exceptions, if a company is sad enough to make a bad football game, then another can make a better game. The game type will still be limited, as will the skill put into making the games...

But, truly - I think, that in a few years, videogames will die.

Just something to think about....

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BLASPHEMEY!!

umm ok sorry, reflexes... gotta work on that. :P

Oh ok I see... Well you may be right, Things are awfuly going fast. You could be right, you could be wrong. Although videogames may die out, I have to wonder, did those who came before us, people whose technology pailed in comparison, beleive that they would soon hit a wall and go as far as they could go? Even though we as humans feel we are in a new age of technology in which advances in everything are being made, there could be more. All I'm saying is that there is so much we haven't discovered, so much thats out there. Just think, We've prooved that there is a MASSIVE expanse around us with millions of planets and stars, Would it be probable that we are the only ones existing in it? Could there be something more that we dont know about?

It is the curious nature of humans that has got us this far, and will get us farther I beleive. If videogames die out because of a technological "brick wall", then what wall would the human race hit next?

Opinions expressed in this post are those of the FB, and no one else.

Ok, I don't really get deep theories, but I do believe that videogames will be here forever in one form or another, like Theta said, artificial reality, VR games, stuff like that could be the next level of videogames. I wouldn't mind playing BFV with a VR set. Plus, there will always be someone to make a new videogame, even if it isn't a new story, it's a new game.

There is always one kind of games that several companies are using, when BF 1942 came out, suddenly, it was great to make online FPS games, MMORPG's will always be there to suck money out of you, since most games like that are based on fantasy worlds, there is no limit to how much you can come up with in that kind of games.

I believe videogames will never get lost, when one game gets really old compared to new technology, some company will probably come up with an idea to make the game(or atleast the idea) in a new way. I agree many games are just simple copies of old ones, but once and a while, there comes some great game that beats most in it's kind, videogames won't leave, not for a long time.

Several points here, each is seperated.

Concept of total immersion video-games: Won't happen for a while. WE WILL get there, but it's too far off for us to make the leap from where we are now to the point where this is not only possible, but commonplace.

video games die out: HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST SUCH A THING!!!! if nothing else, there will be the cult gamers out there who make and release video games just for their own hobby. Roguelike games are a good example. (All hail Darkgod!!!)

I wont make any apologies for what i said here, because video games can never be truly dead. Take a look at the success emulation sites have had! People will still play atari 2800 games on their PC, and other systems such as the older Nintendo ones, as well as the genesis systems are also still around. People will always play video games.

The production may decline for a while with some producers being merged with another, or just going belly-up, but video games will always be around... i mean, what else would those of us without a significant other do with our spare time, Huh?

Gone as far as we can: NEVER! For the human race, there is no limit to how far we can go. There is always something new that we can do. And people who say that we wont get any farther in technology are just plain wrong. People said we wouldnt fly either, but how many of us have been in the air lately? People said we couldnt go to the moon, but... wait, bad example... (we didnt go there...) We have faced a technological barrier several times in the past, and we always manage push through and advance further.

The idea of never having new video games is also absurd. If you believe this, then you are basically saying "All the ideas have been exhausted, we're at a dead end"

Therefore, consider this: "There wont be any more books, people already wrote about every possible topic imaginable"

Now go sit in a corner and consider just how absurd your thinking is. (LITERALLY! This whole idea is RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!) :ranting:

As far as playing old games goes, I still play StarCraft, which is what... 6 years old now? :lol: In fact, me and my cousin still play with each other every weekend. Why? StartCraft wasn't that revolutionary, so why play it? Because its something that we can do together that both our Crappy computers can run it. Even if video games do lose their 'edge' people like me and my cousin will play them because they are still fun. :D

Lets not forget the editors for games too. As long as games like morrowind have editors there will be someone out there with a great idea, who has the skills to make an old game intiresting again.

Let me clarify - of course there will still be video games. I guess I said it wrong. But I mean, they won't really go anywhere. Once we hit virtual reality, where can we go next? There's really nothing more immersive than VR.... Not really anywhere to go then....

Hey, I'm down with Uber's idea...

As long as I get to create my own planet. A skatepark the size of Jupiter...... with Kid mode turned on. :P

*Drools*

Still, Virtual Reality will be expensive. Probably not able to be put into home consoles - strictly arcade, maybe.

On the side, Nintendo realises this. That's why they're making the Revolution - they know that graphics and phsyics are at their peak, and that they really can't get any better. So they're making new ways to play, like with the DS - touch screen, microphone, two screens, wireless, etc....

Archived