Fonts Missing?

beebophuckleberry

I'm getting an error notification...

MokJfHi.png

When I click 'more' it displays the following message...

2hcS3V4.png

The only game I mod is Skyrim SE. I did recently move install folders because I installed a new SSD. I'm thinking something happened during the file transfer from the old install location to the new install location; however, I can't figure it out.

Let me bring up a worse possibility.

If you moved the game directory to your new drive with mods deployed by Vortex, you broke every installed mod.

Windows does a deep copy, replacing hard links with the actual mod.

Vortex will see the hard links were deleted, and it goes downhill from there.

Always enter Purge before doing anything to the game location.

Yup, I def had mods installed when I moved the directory. I've disabled all mods and the notification warning went away. Shouldn't be hard to find which mod is causing it now that I have an idea what to look for.

When you say changing the directory broke every mod installed do you actually mean every mod installed or every mod enabled?

Well Vortex saw the hard links were deleted as if you manually deleted the mods.

Only the enabled ones were at risk.

Vortex could have given you the option to merge the changes back, which would have deleted every enabled mod in your staging folder.

If it were me:

I would enter Purge on Mods page.

Go to game directory and delete everything not installed by Bethesda.

Have Steam validate your install directory.

For each Enabled mod, click the drop down Reinstall. This is quick.

Deploy.

At this point you should be good to go, and your error messages are likely gone.

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I'll try to work on it this weekend. It's kind of a blessing in disguise because I've been wanting to do a fresh install of the game and all mods. I have a lot of mods installed, but only about 300 were enabled when I switched the directory. Hopefully, after reinstalling the game, I can just reinstall those 300 mods and be okay. We'll see how it goes. I'll report back in a week or two.

I feel like a noob.

Edited by beebophuckleberry

It is pretty much never required to reinstall a Bethesda game from Steam.

All you need to do is delete any files not installed by Bethesda.

A pretty extreme - but easy - way is to delete the Data directory. Try to keep the Bethesda .bsa files.

Extraneous files in the root directory are pretty obvious.

Then ask Steam to validate your game directory. It is very good at replacing everything you deleted by accident.