I'm experienced, not an idiot, and WTF is up with battle for Whiterun (even in bare bones vanilla)?

Katy420

ZOMG!

What the hell happened to my papyrus settings?

<snip>

Well, I didn't check what mod manager you're using, could be a MO issue.

Please let us know if resetting the [Papyrus] block even helped a little. And don't forget to check your Papyrus logs made during a battle; they might give some good clues if this is a script issue.

YES! HOLY BLEEPING EXPLETIVE!!!

It's fixed! This has been stopping me from playing the civil war on PC for forever, thanks a ton guys : ) It's almost embarassing, but why the hell would I check ini's I know I didn't change, even after fresh installs..... I guess my disc is unreadable there and it just does that? Very weird for it to predictably install that way every time. But after I got done jumping and yelling, when I found out this was fixed, I reinstalled and checked them again, immediately. Sure as hell, they're like that every time it installs.

I'm surprised it didn't CTD, or give me problems in the late game. I thought for sure it had to be something to do with that quest. For maybe the first time in my life I wish I'd used Steam o.o

THANKS SO MUCH! To everyone for their help! <3 <3 <3

Have you disabled Steam backups? That could be why the changes kept showing up even between fresh installs. The .ini files aren't generated from the disc directly, copies saved to your Steam cloud are preferred by the game for no real reason. It's only if Steam doesn't have backups to install that the game will actually create fresh .ini files from its own data.

Your INIs also might not have been wiped between installs because they're in My Documents and not in the Skyrim folder. I've always had to delete them manually whenever I've reinstalled the game.

Yeah, maybe once or twice I did that. But when I really started getting desparate/confused, I got hardcore, I deleted everything every time, including mods, the NMM, BOSS, Skyrim folder in My games, everything. I didn't know what was doing it and my game was toast anyways so. But yeah, even with a totally blank slate, it just was like that??? Which makes me mildy worried about the integrity of the rest of the settings, so I'm now gonna pay closer attention to them.... Instead of assuming they're default. I think you can just delete them, your inis, to revert to default? Anyways, I've got my eye on it now >.>

And Hya, yes I have disabled Steam backups.

Steam creeps me out. I don't like it. If I had a choice I wouldn't use it. DRM in general kinda creeps me out, but Steam is extra creepy. I realize it's an antiquated way to game, and I'm fighting a losing battle, but I do exactly as little on Steam as I can and I <3 my physical discs. I'm one of those with a categorized shelf of games, that complains about things like Gamestop putting stickers on the inserts.

However, this embarassing moron mistake has reminded me that advancement isn't all bad, and if I had been using Steam updates or checked the game's integrity, it wouldn't have happened.

I still don't like it -.-

Edited by Katy420

Just want to say thanks to you guys again : ) And confirm the problem is for SURE fixed, now working with multiple mods through multiple battles. I spent all night getting my mods sorted (because who could sleep with anything that exciting anyways? Sleep is for the weak), and now I'm done with both Whiterun and Falkreath, running all of my normal favorites and even getting CWO and Helgen Reborn to get along (it CAN be done! Just pick neutral guards for Helgen, so far so good for me). So cool to finally be able to have CW mods. I've played the rest of the game half to death. Next playthough it'll be Warzones. * YEAH!

I know those mods, any CW gameplay mods really, are notoriously finnicky, but they really are the ones I was looking forward to most for Skyrim. And I'm pretty good with finnicky mods in general. It was totally ruining it for me to not have the war, like food without salt or something. SO THANKS AGAIN!!!!!

<3