*!* HELP WITH FALLOUT MOD MANAGER *!*

Arfunzals

Ok, so I went and downloaded FOMM so I could put mods on my Fallout 3, because apparently it's pretty important. I downloaded it, ran the installer, did nothing on the installer but the default options (it installed to C: > Program Files > Bethesda Softworks > Fallout 3), and then I double clicked it to run it, and got the message: Error Unable to get write permissions for fallout's installation directory

I've looked around for quite a while on the web and on the forums here at Nexus and have found no help. So please, SOMEBODY HELP ME!!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I'm playing Fallout: Game of the Year edition with the two discs (one for the game and one for the DLC) both installed, if that helps.

Ok, so I went and downloaded FOMM so I could put mods on my Fallout 3, because apparently it's pretty important. I downloaded it, ran the installer, did nothing on the installer but the default options (it installed to C: > Program Files > Bethesda Softworks > Fallout 3), and then I double clicked it to run it, and got the message: Error Unable to get write permissions for fallout's installation directory

I've looked around for quite a while on the web and on the forums here at Nexus and have found no help. So please, SOMEBODY HELP ME!!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I'm playing Fallout: Game of the Year edition with the two discs (one for the game and one for the DLC) both installed, if that helps.

Vista?

Install game outside of program files (like c:games/fallout3)

OR: Give yourself full control over fallout directory...

Goes something like this: right click on main fallout3 directory/ properties/security/edit/your username/

Full control

• 1 month later...

There is a risk involving giving full control and changing ownership of files and folders in windows vista/7. It uses a user descriptor as one can see just looking at it. That may turn the folders denied to many other things, including network and services (that is propagated in a way that even reinstalling the windows the information is yet stored in each non formated driver and the "same" user will have troubles accessing it. It should not be done, NEVER, for the Program files and the Users folders!

The better is not installing games in the default c:\Program Files\... if it's not possible to change it anymore (at least do not install more games there) the better is running as administrator or relaxing the UAC.

• 1 year later...
I've been using FOMM sinceearly november, and it has worked great. UNTIL.... april 1 it suddenly stopped working. Double click it and you get a message that reads: "Fallout mod manager has encountered a problem and needs to close....." I'm running xp and fallout 3 goty edition. I've completely wiped fallout off the harddrive and gave it a new install, no joy. I've redownloaded FOMM to see if maybe it had been corrupted, still no luck. Any Ideas? Fallout just isn't as fun without the mods.

• 8 months later...