Answers for all those easy questions

DragoonFurey

1. Do you have to kill the vampires before advancing into Dagoth Ur?

No, but killing the Ash Vampires degrades Dagoth Ur's health by a significant amount. Once you kill them all, he's a shadow of his former self- much easier to defeat. Also, you get the unique artifacts in each of their bodies. Killing Dagoth Odros and Dagoth Vemyn is necessary because you have to remove Keening and Sunder from their citadels.

2. Where is the crank to open the Dwemer doors for Dagoth Ur?

It's there- from the revolving doors, look down the slope- it's on a post on the PC's right heading from the aforementioned doors.

• 2 months later...

Getting expelled from Factions

cmac and I felt this might be useful. It looks at four questions.

1. Are there any exceptions to the rules that you can only be re-admitted once and that all you have to do is apologise?

2. Who do I see to be re-admitted? What is the risk that I might need him after he’s gone from the game?

3. Okay, you get expelled for murder and theft; are there other causes?

4. Do any quests or combinations of factions pose a big risk of being expelled?

Are there any exceptions to the rules that you can only be re-admitted once and that all you have to do is apologise?

Only House Telvanni will readmit you endlessly.

The Ashlanders have no rules regarding expulsion and re-admittance.

With the Blades, one offence and you are expelled forever with no chance of re-admittance.

Most factions will accept admission of error ONCE, except the Blades:-

For Great House Hlaalu you have to pay 500 gold.

For the EEC you have to pay 5000 gold.

For the Thieves’ Guild you have to pay 10000 gold

For the Mages’ Guild you have to wait two game weeks.

Who do I see to be re-admitted? What is the risk that I might need him after he’s gone from the game?

House Redoran – Atheyn Sarethi, Neminda (no risk)

House Hlaalu – Crassius Curio, Nileno Dorvayn (no risk)

House Telvanni – any counsellor including Baladas Demnevanni but excluding Mistress Therana (low risk if you do Trebonius’ last quest and the Grey Writ for Baladas, otherwise no risk)

Morag Tong - Eno Hlaalu (moderate risk)

Imperial Cult – Kaye/Lalatia Varian (no risk)

Imperial Legion – Anyone above Knight Protector (no risk)

Temple – Archcanon Sarayoni (no risk)

Mages’ Guild – Archmage Trebonius (moderate risk)

Fighters’ Guild – Anyone above Warder (no risk)

Thieves’ Guild – Anyone above Mastermind (low risk)

EEC – Falco or Carnius depending who you are supporting. (Falco – no risk/Carnius – moderate risk)

Definitions

No risk – there is no reason why a suitable character should not be in the game throughout unless you deliberately choose to kill them.

Low risk – even if you do get expelled there should be nothing further to do for the faction. If you kill Stacey for Sjoring Hard-Heart you will already have killed the potential quest givers in the Thieves’ Guild.

Moderate risk – there are quests you may forfeit: Morag Tong grey writs; incidental Mages’ Guild quests; the Factor’s Estate for the EEC (Carnius)

Okay, you get expelled for murder and theft; are there other causes?

You can be expelled if you:-

Sleep in someone else’s bed.

Open locked doors where you are seen to do so. (This does not seem to apply to chests, provided you do not then steal from them.)

‘Accidentally’ pick up a book you meant only to read.

Sell someone an item of a kind that you have stolen from them (it doesn’t have to be the same one).

Ask Galbedir to enchant, when you have stolen soul gems from her.

Do any quests or combinations of factions pose a big risk of being expelled?

If you know what you are about, it is possible to avoid being expelled in most cases. This list is for the relatively inexperienced, with hints on what to do.

Morag Tong/House Redoran – Writ for Guril Retheran

Thieves’ Guild/House Redoran – Redoran Helm, Boethiah’s Pillow Book, Darts of Judgement, (Hlervu Locket, Redoran Cookery Book)

It is recommended to do the quests for the Morag Tong and Thieves’ Guild before joining House Redoran unless you know how to get round the problem.

Fighters’ Guild/Thieves’Guild – Code Book

Note that if you do the quest for the Fighters’ Guild before you try to join the Thieves’ Guild you will be unable to join the Thieves’ Guild.

Also, in some versions (mine is one) giving Eydis Fire-Eye the Bitter Cup will not stop her attacking you and INVARIABLY leads to you being thrown out of the Fighters’ Guild. It means you MUST NOT get thrown out earlier.

Mages’ Guild – I am not a necromancer

You can get Sharn’s Legions of the Dead from the chest beside her BEFORE you join the Mages’ Guild.

• 2 weeks later...
You can be expelled if you:-

Open locked doors where you are seen to do so. (This does not seem to apply to chests, provided you do not then steal from them.)

I got expelled from the Fighters Guildtwice for picking a lock on a chest. I believe it was in Ald-Ruhn, but i cant be sure. If I saw the building, I could tell you if its the one where I got expelled. I though I was out of view,. but I apparently wasnt... twice...

• 2 months later...

If you don't know what you've stolen...

~ (Console) TFH

toggle full help, shows owners and scripts. If you have an X-Box, you're screwed. Sorry.

One other thing...I couldn't find D. Ur's crank, so I looked in the CS. Found it easy after that.

• 3 weeks later...
I got expelled from the Morag Tong for trying to sleep in some's bed! How dumb is that! IT'S A BED!!!!! They kill people for a living so I guess they are pretty high strung. You can just sneak and sleep while your sneaking lol.

• 3 months later...