TES5Edit: How do I copy a form from one mod to another without making it dependent

icecreamassassin

Alternatively just use the Creation Kit. Select both mods but make your mod the active one so both load. Then select the records you want to copy and duplicate them. They will be copied into your .esp without the other mod being required as a master.

In some more complicated instances (like - npc you need to copy as a new form has an outfit that is not included in vanilla Skyrim) copying as new form will still add a master (in this instance, for the outfit in question). Then you need to manually change the outfit, then manually delete the master.

Of course, you can change the NPC outfit to a vanilla Skyrim one, then copy it as a new form, then change the original NPC's outfit back (or not save the changes to the original plugin).

Neither methods are particularly internally elegant, but that's what we have.

I guess you can encounter something like this while copying spells and magic effects also.

Edited by LoneWolfEburg

I honestly did not realize that TESVEdit was that smart.

In any event, the answer then is that you need to figure out which assets the items are using from those other mods. If you can't figure out why the forms are requiring their masters then it's only going to cause grief down the road.

• 1 year later...

If you know what you're doing in tesedit, you can just remove the master file manually from the list after you're sure that all "actually existing" dependencies are removed.

i did this. added 1 item from an esp, into another esp, which made the 1st a master to the 2nd. then manually removed that master...but that removed the item i had just added to 2nd lol.

so how to add an item to another esp, without having 1st esp be a master?

if only way is w/ CK, please give some detailed steps as i'm not too familiar w/ ck