Arcangel - The Beginning

Kethruch

Alenee looks at the man in amusement, as if trying to hold back a laugh. "Yes," she replies, "elves are quite annoying creatures, aren't they... Slightly less so than you, fool. Did you really think my hearing is that bad?" Alenee's tone has now shifted to contempt. "I find your arrogance highly amusing, coming from one as weak as you. Were you one bit worthier, I would slay you to avenge your insult to my race. But, I will not dirty my blade with the blood such a worthless man. Now leave me alone, or I may reconsider my decision!" She takes the "I HAVE A MYSTERY FOR YOU TO SOLVE. ROYAL REWARD POSSIBLE" and "LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO PICK UP A DELIVERY IN LIGHTHOUSE POINT" notices, then walks over to the man whose conversation she had overheard later. She taps the man lightly on the shoulder to get his attention, then speaks in a far more pleasant tone. "I couldn't help overhearing your conversation, and... well, I'm a bit new here and don't know too much about local events. Would you mind telling me just what this church business is you were talking about?"

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"What's it to ye?" The man in the Toad says as he turns, then looks at Alenee. A broad smile comes across his face. "Pardon me, your elfness," he says slurring slightly, his breath reeking of alcohol. "I meant no offense, but I'm always gettin' in fights here." He motions her over to the table.

"Come, now, please, have a seat, for 'tis a long story, if you've a mind to hear it." He stands, pulling out a chair, starting his story as he does so. "The Arcangelical Temple seems to be the one that the royals have taken to. I mean, really, awarding the new church inside the castle walls to them, rather than the Corithalions. I mean, Corithalion is Toof, and Toof is Corithalion. A lot of us aren't at all happy with it, but, what are we supposed to do, we don't have the power, and it was within their power." He looks around carefully, as if he's expecting that someone's listening. He then lowers his voice to barely a whisper. "I just wonder what kind of magic" He looks around again "the Arcangelicans are using on them. They've gotten every break from them for the past ten years - but you didn't hear it from me."

The Post about the Mystery: There's something strange going on and things and people are disappearing. Report to Bengt Reevelord, Head Overseer of the Royal Tomb Construction at the Hills of the Kings, just to the north of the city

The Post about Lighthouse Point: A local food merchant is looking for someone to cart a load of fish from a fisherman in the port village of Lighthouse Point to Horol's market here in the city. It's about a day's travel there and back.

"Interesting story... the events you miss out in the wilderness......" Alenee replies, careful not to mention her own opinion of the subject. "Thank you for your time. I'd better be going now, business demands my attention." She walks out of the tavern. She pauses outside the door to review her map, then heads off in the direction of the Hills of the Kings. "Might as well start earning some favors with the local powers," she thinks. "Hopefully this will go a bit better than my last royal business!" She laughs quietly at the last part. As if a forced change of rulers could be considered just a mere "bad business deal"!

Helstar and Melisande

Helstar and Melisande arrive at the dig site just as a middle-aged gentleman dressed in heavy clothing is coming out of a large recess in the top of the hill. He startles at your presence, then catches himself. "Are you here for the job? If so, your timing couldn't be better. We had another disappearance this morning. If this keeps up, I may never figure out what this kind of structure is doing here."

Alenee

Bengt Reevelord has set up his headquarters at the base of the Hills of the Kings. The headquarters is comprised of several shacks built around a central clearing, with one permanent structure at the north end. There are workers with picks and shovels beginning to work their way up the hills, and carts carrying polished stone are being pulled by draft animals of all sizes up a crude road cut into the side of a steep hill. A large man steps out of the permanent building, dressed in rich green robes. Around his neck he wears a heavy gold chain, upon which a symbol of a dragon with a coiled tail hangs. He notices you coming and calls to you. "You don't belong here. If you're here to loot, you're too early, and if you're here to help, well, get to it then." He looks you over as his eyes become adjusted to the light. "Elf, by the looks of you. Which means you're probably from the Toad. If you're interested, come on in and I'll fill you in."

"Hello there sir!" Helstar greets the man warmly, in a small bow.

"Yes, we are here for the job. What do you mean exactly, dissapearence?" Helstar's voice deepens at the last part.

Helstar takes the note out of his pocket and hands it to the man. He then turns to Melisande and waits to see her reaction.

Melisande puts her hand to her mouth. "Good sir," she says in her best coquettish voice. "What is it that has disappeared? Is it something valuable that you wish to recover?" She absentmindedly twists her finger in her hair. After a second, she looks confused. "What structure are you talking about. All I see is a hole."

Helstar and Melisande

The man ignores Melisande and talks directly to Helstar. "You interested in what's disappeared? I'll tell you what's disappeared. My maps, my men, and my tools. At first, there were just little things missing, but, lately, it's expanded to everything. See the tents around?" He waves his arm, pointing out about half a dozen large tents. "They hold my full complement - thirty men. Right now, four of them are empty, and an other is for equipment. I currently have five men left, and the equipment I have is barely enough for that many. Here I am, on the brink of the greatest discovery of my career, and I see everything falling apart. I have nothing against you helping, sir, but I don't see how a girl can help."

Melisande quickly draws a knife and does her best to put it at the throat of the man. "Girl, am I? Just goes to show how shallow you are. You know what? I'm going to figure out what's going on here just to prove to you the worth of us girls."

She turns to Helstar. "I think we can handle this. Don't you?" She turns back to the man. "So tell us everything you know about this place and what is going on, and we'll see about getting your stuff back."

Archived