Arcangel - The Beginning

Kethruch

Alenee

As you climb a mound, you are able to look down and see just how much of a structure has been uncovered. One side, a good forty feet in length, has been uncovered, revealing smooth, even polished wall of white stone, yellowed with dirt and the seepage of unknown ages. The door is a solid slab of black basalt, six feet wide and eight tall, that does not budge to the touch. Tapping on it gives a sense of great thickness. Though obviously a door, it is perfectly flush with the side. What draws your attention, though, is an unbroken seal with pictographs that are beyond your comprehension. It would take a number of men to unseal the tomb, judging by the size of the black slab. The roof is made of the same white stone, and goes back at least forty feet, where its smoothe surface disappears into the side of the hill. It is mostly cleared, and you wonder just how long ago the structure was discovered. There are just a couple of spots where there are still piles of dirt on the roof, and one pile of debris back near where it meets the hillside.

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Helstar and Melisande

The workers are currently doing their jobs, and from their grumblings, the jobs of several others as well. They are hauling dirt, sifting it through sieves, picking out the interesting clumps and carefully breaking them up, looking at what's inside. They are not overly talkative at the moment, and appear to be not in the best of spirits.

A tall, young woman crests the hill and surveys the area around the tomb. Her gear (hauberk, bow & mace) is well maintained and she has a look of quiet competence about her. She sees Alenee and walks over to her, puts her hand over her heart and bows slightly.

"Peace. My name is Linden. May I help you?"

"Ah, Erech told me I might be seeing you around here," Alenee replies, extending her hand in greeting. "I'm Alenee B'Elen, and I've been hired to deal with the trouble here. So lets start by hearing what you've found out here."

Alenee

Linden smiled to Alenee.

" I see that you have talked to Erech and Bengt Reevelord. I spoke to them a few days ago and heard the tale of the walking tools and sleeping guards. I also heard from them that this might be the tomb of Astanth so I thought I'd go check up on the regional lore regarding him. Apparently, Astanth was set on taking over the world and utilized the aid of devils and demons in his pursuit. One thing of note that I found was that he is supposed to come back into power "when the old ones reappear." and fulfill his destiny in ruling the world. I'm not sure what that one means....yet. If this great evil is returning to the land, we should watch and prepare."

She walks around a bit looking down at the sealed tomb and then back to Alenee.

"I think that we need to assist the guards on their nightly watch this evening. Maybe we'll be able to discern how the picks and shovels can wander about in the night. If they wander over to this tomb, mayhap we can uncover the ghostly hands wielding them. What say you?"

Smiling slightly, Alenee replies. "Or discover just which not so ghostly hands are digging it up the simple way. I'm not quite ready to accept this ancient evil story as the only possibility... I've seen far too much human evil to think ancient spirits have a monopoly on it." She looks around, noticing the still light sky. "Well, looks like we've got a while before we can find out. You've been here a lot longer than I have, so I've got a few questions for you. Heard any rumors or anything about someone who might have an reason to want construction here disrupted? Contract disputes, anything of that nature?"

Helstar and Melisande

The wait until dinner is uneventful. Dinner is late, well after dark, and the workers all appear dead tired. They do, however, open up and begin to talk about their experiences and fears.

"I don't know why I haven't left" says one. "I mean, there's not enough money in this to justify the terror that we've felt."

"I know," replies another. "The wolf skull covered in blood that appeared in the middle of camp in the pentagram drawn in blood with the words 'leave or the skulls will be yours' was it for half the crew."

"Come now," Beadle says. "You're exaggerating."

"Not really," the man who made the comment replies. "We cleaned up most of it before you were up."

A chorus chimes in, and the descriptions of what happened come faster than you can listen. In the middle of this, a movement outside the group in the area of the tents catches Melisande's view.

Alenee and Linden

The wait until dark is short. A couple of guards join you at the tomb. You note that they are no more than workers that have been issued long knives. For the first part of the evening, the night is quiet. About 9:00, however, you both get a chill down your spine. The two other guards collapse, and you rub your eyes as you see picks and shovels floating, moving steadily toward your position.

Archived