Aftermath - Multiplayer mod is looking for 3000 players willing to inhabit Skyrim

Bargheimer

i do admire your concept, more the hooking the engine to do what your after.

The tech side of it is impressive and hats off to you.

Basically all Skyrim Players want (or a majority anyway)

1) Play co-op with a friend or a small niche of friends and work through the quests together.

Skyrim is a loner game and popularity even if unaware seems to be because of that fact.

Play it your way the way you like and it doesn't depend on others.

This whole turn it in to a universe and only human players and micro cash transactions and gotta play with everyone in the world, bah

That is not skyrim at all.

This whole turn it in to a universe and only human players and micro cash transactions and gotta play with everyone in the world, bah

That is not skyrim at all.

I'm not going to turn it into a universe, Aftermath will be a "village" MMOG. For just 3000 players scattered among a hundred locations.

Suspicous Cloud 5.D detected on Norton and Virus Total.

This issue has already been explained in post #8. As you may see in https://www.virustotal.com/ru/file/0fb5cfeb0e2f313bbf6f59b9b2750e0a75c831920f7f89dad8a203bc0b7e5adc/analysis/ the file is detected by Avast as Win32:Evo-gen [susp], but if you google around you will find out that it's a false positive. Check https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=120219.msg1025792#msg1025792, for example.

Long story short, the file doesn't contain a trojan.

PS: There are technical details that explain why antiviruses go mad - https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/3g89cx/aftermath_multiplayer_mod_is_looking_for_3000/ctvt9ca.

Edited by Bargheimer

While a mod such as this would be interesting, I have to be honest in that it simply wouldn't work. The very core of the game, it's engine, is not physically capable of what you're trying to achieve. You want a fully persistent world where up to 3,000 players can inhabit it at any given time, and it's this part that immediately makes it pretty much impossible. The game world isn't big enough to have 3,000 players running around it and them not causing problems for the engine. When I decided to test the engine's capabilities, I made a completely empty worldspace and filled it with 100 NPCs. With them all standing there doing nothing, the FPS drop was noticeable. As soon as they all moved, engaged in fights, etc., the FPS plummeted to the point where it was impossible to play. This was in a completely empty worldspace, imagine how it'll work in the middle of Solitude.

There are so many more reasons this simply won't work. As cool as it would be to see it happen, from a technical standpoint it'd be practically impossible.

While a mod such as this would be interesting, I have to be honest in that it simply wouldn't work. The very core of the game, it's engine, is not physically capable of what you're trying to achieve. You want a fully persistent world where up to 3,000 players can inhabit it at any given time, and it's this part that immediately makes it pretty much impossible. The game world isn't big enough to have 3,000 players running around it and them not causing problems for the engine. When I decided to test the engine's capabilities, I made a completely empty worldspace and filled it with 100 NPCs. With them all standing there doing nothing, the FPS drop was noticeable. As soon as they all moved, engaged in fights, etc., the FPS plummeted to the point where it was impossible to play. This was in a completely empty worldspace, imagine how it'll work in the middle of Solitude.

that's a good point, would maybe separating the instances help speed things up? also isnt it possible to have the players take a part of the load?

There are so many more reasons this simply won't work. As cool as it would be to see it happen, from a technical standpoint it'd be practically impossible.

The issue was likely caused by Skyrim VM processing hundreds instances of scripts attached to those NPCs. In Aftermath all (literally all) scripts are removed and actors are being moved by C++ code that directly changes their positions in the memory. Of course, 3000 players in the same location will cause a terrible lag, but 50-100 will move smoothly I think (your client doesn't need to know about all 3000 players). 26 NPCs in Hall of Valor don't drop FPS much, so I think that rendering doesn't consume a lot of resources. Also, Havok is not used for NPCs (physics is calculated by the server), this releases some extra resources.

Edited by Bargheimer