Soo about having copyrighted music in a mod

roguefreeman

Just to clarify for my curiosity sake would it allow a simple plug and play style mod (not even sure if this is possible) that instead of uploading a song from someone's collection and going through the motions of getting permissions would it be possible instead to create a mod that would allow anyone to plug ANY song MP3 (& associated sound formats) into Skyrim to play in their own game?

So instead of uploading music that is copyrighted the idea is it would simply be a simple plug & play mod in order to allow me the Skyrim player to use my own music collection while they play the game. That would be a cool mod and I believe if it didn't upload music and instead was just a format to plug a song in while playing Skyrim, would that not be ok?

This would be worth a repost to Mod Requests see if possible.

Edited by KainThePheonix

Never use copyrighted music unless otherwise specified by the rights holder. I've asked the mods before, and apparently it is permissible to use sheet music to make a cover of the song in question, so long as it's completely made from scratch.

If I'm wrong, i hope a moderator steps in and corrects me.

Edited by Di0nysys

and apparently it is permissible to use sheet music to make a cover of the song in question

some songs are not copyrighted i believe Beethovens music isnt. it really depends on the song, just google the songs copyright to find out what is okay and what isnt.

so long as it's completely made from scratch.

this is almost always wrong, never assume this for copyright related issues. just google it and be safe.

this is almost always wrong, never assume this for copyright related issues. just google it and be safe.

I'm not. IRL sheet music is intellectual property as well. However, the issue in question is the use of this intellectual property in a free, non-commercial, transformative work. An easy example of that would be the myriad cover songs that pop up on youtube of commercial songs.

Again, i recall asking this very same question on the forums to a moderator, and what I understood was what I formerly said. Cannot dig up the post atm , but I certainly hope this gets cleared up.

Will refer to the TOS for the time being.

Edited by Di0nysys

Okay, managed to track down Drake the Dragon's post from a while ago. The project I'm working on involves fan made recreations of sheet music from copyrighted material. Naturally, I tried to make sure that Nexus does not have a problem with such a practice as much as I could. If a TOS update changed that policy however, that's a different issue.

Edit

Original Thread:
http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/2892224-my-mod-was-taken-down-for-not-being-legal/

I do believe, and don't quote me on this, that a complete remix/redistribution from the groundup of a music track is allowed here.

- "Redistribution", never. Redistribution means passing on the work "unaltered" and is never going to fly with the lawyers.

- If "Remix" involves creating everything yourself from scratch, that may fly, like playing the song yourself on a MIDI keyboard or something, sure. (Though I doubt that's what "remix" means.)

- If Remix means taking the work unaltered, or parts of, and mixing it up with other works unaltered to create something new though, then that's called a derivative work and again requires permission for you to be allowed to "mix" them in your work.

But at the end of the day it's still up to the rights holder to decide, and like the LotR franchise they can always come down on you with legal means, even if you created everything yourself from scratch.

Edited by Di0nysys

But at the end of the day it's still up to the rights holder to decide, and like the LotR franchise they can always come down on you with legal means, even if you created everything yourself from scratch.

this is my point that im trying to say. be safe and google it on a song by song basis; sometimes folk just dont care at all and will let you do covers and remixes no problem. then you get people like the ones who own LoTR where you so much as mention it the lawyers jump on it.

Edited by qwertyzeldar

this is my point that im trying to say. be safe and google it on a song by song basis; sometimes folk just dont care at all and will let you do covers and remixes no problem. then you get people like the ones who own LoTR where you so much as mention it the lawyers jump on it.

Good point ofc. But the track i will be using is already recreated, and has been made public under creative commons for a while now. I will be using it with the permission of the person who recreated it. Failing to do so is also a problem, and frankly, tantamount to theft.

So if anyone ever stumbles here, hope this works as a guide for this issue.

- If "Remix" involves creating everything yourself from scratch, that may fly, like playing the song yourself on a MIDI keyboard or something, sure. (Though I doubt that's what "remix" means.)

That would be my case. Sequenced instruments on the computer and my singing. Versions of commercial songs all done by myself. My doubt is all in the "that may fly", because I want to know the consequences of including those songs in the mod. Would the file be promptly deleted from Nexus? Would I be banned? Would a lawyer sue Nexus and get its ass? Would I be kindly asked to remove the song covers in the case of a legal notification, but until that happened no one would care?

I already took the songs away from my mod, but I'm a little sad because that hurts the experience.

"Would I be kindly asked to remove the song covers in the case of a legal notification, but until that happened no one would care?" - that would be awesome for me.

EDIT: To make it the utmost clear: I'm talking about PLAYING THE SONG YOURSELF. (EDIT2: In this case, myself.)

Edited by CrisSpiegel