Climbing/Grappling Hooks/Ziplines

SpiderJerusalem

I'd love to see a mod that would let me climb the sides of pretty much any structure, possibly via a climbing "mode" (holding down a key or whatever to slowly vertically ascend/descend a given structure by hand), and/or a throwable/placeable grappling hook w/rope (that would be reusable). Also, it would be awesome to have a grappling-hook "gun" (could even require fusion cells or fusion core, or consumable line/grapple "ammo" so as to be a little more immersive) that could be fired at the side of any structure, and be tied off somehow at the origin (maybe similar to how power lines are attached to relays and such?), and then can be either slid down with a handle like a real zipline (assuming a downward angle), or climbed up if the angle is upward. And so as not to be too game-breaking, the length of the line should probably have an upper limit.

Bonus: being able to transport companions the same way, either by directing them to ascend/descend the line, or in the case of dogmeat, maybe temporarily carrying him somehow (like a backpack???), so that their pathfinding doesn't get all screwed up.

Added bonus: possibly one-handed shooting while descending a zipline (make it at least in part dependent on strength, because supporting one's weight with one hand vs two).

Why? Well, for sniper characters, it's frustrating seeing all these awesome sniper perches in the game that can't actually be gotten to (without having to use the console). Billboard catwalks, high buildings, highway overpasses, etc etc. Feels like an oversight by BethSoft, and it's not the first time (see similar mods made for Skyrim).

• 2 weeks later...

I would be glad just having a simple move to climb and stand on objects between 1 and 2 meters high. It is frustrating to be blocked as soon as an obstacle is 1 meter high... Beteshda probably does not know you can use your arms for climbing :laugh:

• 4 months later...

The image of Dogmeat in a harness slung across the back of a suit of PA (with a grappling gun arm mod)... Made me grin. :D Securing lines to use as tightropes and ziplines would be pretty cool too. Great for a New England pirate raider base

Edit: It could open up some very Far Cry/Tomb Raider-y, frantic, 3-dimensional exploring (or even Batman-like if taken to extremes). If the engine will allow it, it would really change the game in a big way. Might be cool to get an armor skin like Enemy Within's Ghost armor too!

Higher on my personal wishlist though is the less impressive ability to hop through windows (3rd person animation might show the character putting a hand down then pushing and swinging legs over, landing crouched with their weapon back in both hands). I imagine some amazing combo of Take Cover and Tactical Animations will cover it, but right now there aren't many windows you can actually pass through even if the frame and the glass is broken out. I imagine it might require some drastic changes to a lot of wall assets.

Edited by dem0nbreather

Sounds like Ten-Chu Grappling hook...or maybe a rope arrow from Thief The Dark Project. Conceptually, if the Ancient Lost Technology of the Rifle-Grenade were reintroduced, then a grappling hook alternative could be added.

• 8 months later...

i would love to see some type of hook like you see in DI and or "Just Cause 2/3"

i just dont know if the animation for the player model would allow this since for some very odd rising you never see your hands/ arms move and when you zoom out with a jet pack on back the player model is all stiff like a cross/ "Y"..

i would love to be able to jump climb up buildings like you could in AC...

• 11 months later...

You know I gotta tell you, I really enjoy FO4. But nothing makes me feel like less of a hero than when I have to take the long way around a chainlink (or sometimes even PICKET) fence. There's even a spot on the far East end of the map, where you're "locked" out of some guy's house by his locked fence...but like anybody else would just be able to easily hop that fence. In fact, I got around it by carefully parkouring around the guy's porch until I got the right angle.

(And then there's the fact that there's a huge giant hole in the fence that you can't crawl through, even though it's much larger than you, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.)