Making the game more difficult

moddersrule1969

I've tried just about every mod available that makes the game more challenging. I found the game to be way too easy.

What I wanted to have in order to be more "survival-focused" and realistic was something that greatly limited ammo and other resources, made creatures and NPCs more threatening, etc. So, more like an apocolyptic wasteland...

The most comprehensive mod I've found is Rebalancer (by Jonnyeah) which allows me to tweak all sorts of things, including drops, weight, damage, etc. It's fantastic!

The others that I'm using currently are Mortal Settlers, Settlement Raiding Mod, and Deadly Predators.

I'm still waiting for mods that add more (difficult) creatures and other deadly things.

Any suggestion?

Guest deleted2588518

I've found that if you take this mod. No Health Level Scaling

Then take Rebalancer and have the NPCs do double survival damage... It makes for a real challenge. Enemies stop becoming bullet sponges, but they can kill you really easily.

Toss on the fire this... Crippled Limb Fix and you can no longer heal yourself out of a firefight. You'll need a doctor for damaged limbs.

As for "more difficult creatures" that's still in the works I think. We don't have a complete xEdit so a more comprehensive creature NPC *ala Marts* isn't out yet. Might be a while for that one.

But those mods above, piled on top of your other mods you run should give you a run for your money.

Guest deleted2588518

You can safely ignore that whole list posted above outside of two. (due to redundancy)

Arbitration and Primary Needs. But be warned, both are still being tested and may have negative effects on your save.

Deadly Radstorms won't add difficulty. But its nice for flavor.

The mods you already have plus the ones I mentioned will put you in a very difficult environment without the need for mods that will most definitely corrupt your save.

Edited by TotalMeltdown

There are a few realism things that I would like to see.

1) You have to use the bathroom at least twice a day, but the community can barely handle boobs so taking a dump is probably pushing it a bit.

2) Parasites that make you sick. Drinking non-purified water, or eating raw meat may give you an intestinal parasite that you will need to see a doctor to heal. Assuming you go to long without being healed you die.

3) Shaking hands from cannibalism. Yes, this is a homage to The Book of Eli. Pretty much, the more acts of cannibalism you commit the worse your iron sights aiming becomes.

4) More pets. Dogmeat is cute, but... I want a pet Deathclaw. So, I was thinking that you can steal animal eggs or small animals after they are born and raise them with the creature thinking you are its mother. Pets need not be followers, you can assign them as villagers.

5) Not wearing power armor and being impelled upon a Deathclaws talons is an instant kill.

6) Ghoul zombie bits. If a ghoul bites you, you get an infection which requires a doctor to heal or you slowly lose health over time until you die.

7) Radioactive rain peels the paint off of your power armor.

Edited by jcdenton2012

There are a few realism things that I would like to see.

1) You have to use the bathroom at least twice a day, but the community can barely handle boobs so taking a dump is probably pushing it a bit.

2) Parasites that make you sick. Drinking non-purified water, or eating raw meat may give you an intestinal parasite that you will need to see a doctor to heal. Assuming you go to long without being healed you die.

3) Shaking hands from cannibalism. Yes, this is a homage to The Book of Eli. Pretty much, the more acts of cannibalism you commit the worse your iron sights aiming becomes.

4) More pets. Dogmeat is cute, but... I want a pet Deathclaw. So, I was thinking that you can steal animal eggs or small animals after they are born and raise them with the creature thinking you are its mother. Pets need not be followers, you can assign them as villagers.

5) Not wearing power armor and being impelled upon a Deathclaws talons is an instant kill.

6) Ghoul zombie bits. If a ghoul bites you, you get an infection which requires a doctor to heal or you slowly lose health over time until you die.

7) Radioactive rain peels the paint off of your power armor.

Can't say I agree with number 1 (or should I say, number 2...? Tee Hee.) as there comes a point where its complexity just for the sake of complexity, imo, and doesnt add a fun feature. But thats my personal opinion! That said, I actually like most of the others over all.

I plan to make my next play through a more, 'survival' style play through.. the mods I hope to either create, find, or use something similiar to:

(Again this is my personal taste for what I want to experience, and not everyone will agree with these ideas. Some of these are already very doable, others are doable in a limited sense, and others can't be touched yet)

1) Fairly realistic food, drink, and probably sleep (A little torn on sleep, I want the experience to be fun, and I cant decide if I would find that fun or over kill.)

2) Either a complete disable of quick travel, OR, preferably imo, a heavy modification of the function. Basically, QT requires a set amount of food / drink on hand based on travel time, plus uses a random

amount of ammo, med supplies, etc.Make using QT COST you, and potentially cost you more supplies than just making the journey yourself, thus making it an interesting decision at least.

3) This ties into the quick travel stuff, but I also want more functionality out of settlements. I haven't entirely decided WHAT yet, but I will say that either removing or reducing QT usage adds a major benefit to

building up multiple settlements: They give you more locations to refuel and re-gear prior to setting back out. Also tying into all this...

4) Weight on ammo, medpacks, etc. While I want items to be scarce, I also don't want to be able to lug 5000 rounds of ammo should I ever save it up. This again gives more usage to settlements: Storing

supplies at various locations, so that you are not always traveling to just 1 spot to resupply.

5) Disable VAT's, or MAYBE a time-slow effect. Something not as overpowered as standard VATS, or just disabled, basically.

6) Slower cell / enemy reset / respawns, this would be fairly necessary due to the QT changes, I think.

7) Reduced ammo, medical supply drops. Reduced drops on some of the more rare crafting materials.

8] Enhanced weather / rad storms etc. Perhaps body temp stuff like they had in skyrim mods, havent decided yet

9) reduced XP / More XP to level up - I found I level insanely fast in vanilla game.. I have so many perks, and weapons got phased out quickly.. plus, a lot of enemies no longer offer any challenge at all.)

10) Boosts to enemies (variety of tweaks.)

11) To make medics useful, disable in the field insta-cure damaged limbs, making it something you can only fix via medical attention (Perhaps one of the medic perks could allow the creation of a splint that

could serve as a temporary heal in the field, as that isnt entirely unreasonable.) Diseases requiring medical attention is also something I would be up for, whether its bad food / water, infectious bite, etc.

12) Speaking of food - pre-war food would become more rare as well, and not be super effective at helping your hunger (With negative effects, too, I mean, its 200 yrs old....). Animals, plants etc would be the

best source of food, again adding to the value of settlements / farms, and making survival when caught out in the wild much more difficult.

13) I had considered the idea of a blood-system, or at the minimal, bleeding wounds that would need to be patched up, less you bleed to death (Think DayZ, its actually what I am thinking of.)

14) I mentioned it above, but DayZ has a lot of the stuff in it that I am talking bout / thinking of, honestly. I think a DayZ-ish survival experience set in the wonderful world of Fallout 4 could be really, really fun. If

I was feeling really bold, I wouldn't even be opposed to either a 1-life mod, or enforcing on myself a "you die you restart" mentality.

15) Back on the idea of limiting / removing QT & Boosting settlements: I think itd be pretty neat if as an alternative, when a settlement reached a high enough threshold, and you had the relevant perks,

supplies etc, if you could perhaps craftyour own vertibird of sorts for the settlement, giving you a "lore-friendly quick travel" in that you could use it to travel further / faster, but using up a fuel source

(fusion cores would be fine, but faster than power armor). Just ideas that I am tossing out there.

Its a long silly list, and maybe it sounds stupid to some or all of you. But I personally think it could be a lot of fun, and a very different experience. (Not that I dislike the current game!)

Edited by JuJooGuppy

Great ideas and responses!

I added a few of the mods suggested, so I'll have to see how Bad Bugs can cause horrible limb damage.

I did disable and adjust the saves so they don't happen automatically very often. I like the idea of a big penalty for dieing, such as dropping all of our loot somewhere and wake up in one of your settlements. Maybe nearby Raiders could find your stuff and use it... :ohmy:

Edited by moddersrule1969