Questions about ASIS

Reecy101

If these have been asked before, I'm sorry in advance. Just please point me to where I can find the answers I'm seeking.

1. Could someone explain to me what the Customized GMST option does? It isn't very clear.

2. Does the Customized AI option conflict with AI changes made by Immersive Citizen: AI Overhaul and Duel's Combat Realism, etc?

3. In regards to perks and followers. I use AFT to manage my followers, AFT also auto levels my followers. Can AFT work with ASIS and choose perks for my followers?

4. What controls the selection of perks for followers?

5. Does the NPC class have anything to do with which perks a follower would choose? If so, if I were to change the NPC class via console would that cause them to choose different perks?

6. I tried to add a perk via console to a follower, I saw no confirmation/error message and when checking via AFT. I didn't see the perk. Furthermore, if I use hasperk <perk_code>, I see perk level 0. Is this not possible?

7. I use Apocalypse Magic, are these spells distributed via ASIS?

Lastly, 8. When does the distribution of spells and perks take place? Dynamically during playthrough or only when I run the patcher?

Thanks if you can help answer these questions.

Edited by Reecy101

1. GMST are game settings. If you aren't sure what they do, don't mess with them. While you're unlikely to break your game it could change things significantly enough that it would be very different.

2. No. Different parts of AI.

3. As far as I can tell ASIS works by adding all valid perks to all NPCs that are not blocked via the INI files. Valid perks meaning if the player can learn them due to having enough skill level and the right prerequisite perks and they aren't special/player-specific perks (perks that slow time down for example), then the NPC can learn them too. That said, it will add valid perks to your followers unless the INI files have them blocked (I don't think they are by default). The level of perks they get are their initial level I think.

4. See above. It's for all NPCs actually.

5. Just like above. Additionally it's based on skill level. So a warrior with only Destruction 15 will not get the high level Destruction perks.

6. It's possible. You probably did something wrong somewhere. Though I dunno much about AFT, whether it has some kind of weird anti-perk code, which it probably doesn't.

7. Some of them yes. A lot of those spells are scripted and only work for the player though, so those don't get distributed.

8. When you run the patcher. It's the main purpose of the patcher in fact.

1. GMST are game settings. If you aren't sure what they do, don't mess with them. While you're unlikely to break your game it could change things significantly enough that it would be very different.

2. No. Different parts of AI.

3. As far as I can tell ASIS works by adding all valid perks to all NPCs that are not blocked via the INI files. Valid perks meaning if the player can learn them due to having enough skill level and the right prerequisite perks and they aren't special/player-specific perks (perks that slow time down for example), then the NPC can learn them too. That said, it will add valid perks to your followers unless the INI files have them blocked (I don't think they are by default). The level of perks they get are their initial level I think.

4. See above. It's for all NPCs actually.

5. Just like above. Additionally it's based on skill level. So a warrior with only Destruction 15 will not get the high level Destruction perks.

6. It's possible. You probably did something wrong somewhere. Though I dunno much about AFT, whether it has some kind of weird anti-perk code, which it probably doesn't.

7. Some of them yes. A lot of those spells are scripted and only work for the player though, so those don't get distributed.

8. When you run the patcher. It's the main purpose of the patcher in fact.

Thanks OukaHosokawa.

Cleared up a lot for me.

In regards to 8. Basically, I need to re-run the ASIS Patcher every now and then? So that it can distribute perks?

Yeah only if you add new NPCs or mods with spells or perks you may want redistributed. There's technically nothing wrong with not running the patcher after adding a new mod. It's just that the new NPCs won't get perks or spells, and the new perks and spells will be ignored naturally.

Generally though if you're using a new perk overhaul you really should be starting a new game anyway. I personally have a habit of rerunning my patchers when I start a new game, especially if I cleaned up or changed my mod list somehow. even if it isn't necessary (like I just added a new house mod or some kind of tweak that has no new NPCs or something).

Yea, I re-run the patcher every time I add a mod.

But what I was really asking about was the scenario where I don't add any new mods.

Going off the point you made about the perk distribution happening at patch time and taking in to consideration that when I level up, AFT auto levels my followers as well to match my level and also redistributes skill levels.

I was wondering if I should re-run the patch since at that point my followers skills have changed since the initial run.

Does this matter or not at all?

The patcher only touches the base versions of actors, so any skills or levels they acquire during gameplay will be ignored. I recommend this mod:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/53047/?

so you can avoid a lot of tedious ASIS ini editing and just apply the tweaks that suit you.

Also I am pretty sure the AI tweaks are deprecated and not recommended by the author.

It was my understanding that it is not possible to give perks to NPCs through the console or by any other method, but in truth I have never tried it myself so if anybody else has direct experience then I would trust them over my hearsay.

Edited by lofgren

The patcher only touches the base versions of actors, so any skills or levels they acquire during gameplay will be ignored. I recommend this mod:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/53047/?

so you can avoid a lot of tedious ASIS ini editing and just apply the tweaks that suit you.

Also I am pretty sure the AI tweaks are deprecated and not recommended by the author.

It was my understanding that it is not possible to give perks to NPCs through the console or by any other method, but in truth I have never tried it myself so if anybody else has direct experience then I would trust them over my hearsay.

I already use the ASIS Improved INI Files.

So if it modifies the base character then to achieve my true objective which is to make two housecarls (Lydia and Iona) take magic perks, I would have to modify those characters via Creation Kit?

The reason I want to do this is because I want to control the skills my mage followers know and since I can't remove the default spells, I decided to go this route.

Thanks for the info about giving npcs perks via the console.

Edited by Reecy101

• 4 months later...

Hey Reecy101, I am very most interested in knowing how did you en up, I mean, Did you add finally to Lydia/* those magic/* perks via CK? Works with not trouble?

Hey Richardo11, instead of modifying Lydia and Iona, I instead decided to just modify Brelyna Maryon and Onmund since they were already mage followers.

I simply removed their starter spells.

They both came with spells bound to left or right hand and I couldn't remove those using Amazing Follower Tweaks.

Edited by Reecy101