[WIP/Tool] HKXPack - extract .hkx files

DexesTTP

I've unpacked the cat files and I'm wanting to add new behavior but by recycling existing animations. Specifically to give the cat an attack using the animation where it jumps up onto furniture. (alternatively I could have it sit there and lick its paw at someone until they die...)

Is this technically possible to do just through editing of the hkx file? It seems like it should be given that changing dogmeat's mesh to that of a cat still allows him to attack things even though he then lacks the ability to animate. There's a mod out there that does only that (Catmeat, the very stiff cat that barks...)

If I change Dogmeat's race to that of a cat, then he animates just fine but no longer attacks. Comparing Dogmeat and cat files, I'm thinking the problem is lack of a combat state machine that Dogmeat has. I'm still poking around in there and trying to put together a very rudimentary behavior that I hope will let the cat move and maybe attack but it's going to be a lot of work and I don't even know if I'll have anything to show for it at the end of it all.

Does this seem at all feasible or am I totally out to lunch here?

If you're trying to use this tool to create or edit animations then you need to read post #45 on page 5, just a few posts above yours. https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3717030-wiptool-hkxpack-extract-hkx-files/page-5&do=findComment&comment=37940305

Edited by damanding

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've unpacked the cat files and I'm wanting to add new behavior but by recycling existing animations. Specifically to give the cat an attack using the animation where it jumps up onto furniture. (alternatively I could have it sit there and lick its paw at someone until they die...)

Is this technically possible to do just through editing of the hkx file? It seems like it should be given that changing dogmeat's mesh to that of a cat still allows him to attack things even though he then lacks the ability to animate. There's a mod out there that does only that (Catmeat, the very stiff cat that barks...)

If I change Dogmeat's race to that of a cat, then he animates just fine but no longer attacks. Comparing Dogmeat and cat files, I'm thinking the problem is lack of a combat state machine that Dogmeat has. I'm still poking around in there and trying to put together a very rudimentary behavior that I hope will let the cat move and maybe attack but it's going to be a lot of work and I don't even know if I'll have anything to show for it at the end of it all.

If you're trying to use this tool to create or edit animations then you need to read post #45 on page 5, just a few posts above yours. https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3717030-wiptool-hkxpack-extract-hkx-files/page-5&do=findComment&comment=37940305

No.... adding/editing the animations is the last thing on my mind. But thanks for the reply...

What you're trying to do is entirely possible - to the extent of existing animations.

You're right about the state machine, it is missing the attack routines and doesn't seem to allow a cat to attack at all. You can try to poke around and add that (you'll basically need to copy the HKX behavior files parts of the Dogmeat attack behavior into the cat behavior) or, alternatively, there's a menu in the Creation Kit that would allow you to do that too (it's under one of the last submenus - I can't check right now as I don't have access to the CK).

However, the big problem will be to add the actual animations to the cat model, because even if you add behavior to the cat it would attack but stay stiff, as in the CatMeat mod.

The person you might get help from is the creator of the Godzilla mod, who has done somewhat similar work when creating it.

Also, about my progress : you might have seen the thread by ShadeAnimator, who has basically solved creating animations for Fallout 4. I also didn't check if there was a thread, but it is possible to edit behavior files from the Creation Kit directly. So, I will finish the tool, but both later and without rush (as it isn't a priority - sorry blender users, you'll have to ask 3DsMax people fro conversions for a while still).

All I can say is thank heaven.

I thought we were boned since microsoft bought up the official tools for doing animations.

Maybe now we can eventually get some good animations for various things & guns that arent left handed but shot right handed.

What you're trying to do is entirely possible - to the extent of existing animations.

You're right about the state machine, it is missing the attack routines and doesn't seem to allow a cat to attack at all. You can try to poke around and add that (you'll basically need to copy the HKX behavior files parts of the Dogmeat attack behavior into the cat behavior) or, alternatively, there's a menu in the Creation Kit that would allow you to do that too (it's under one of the last submenus - I can't check right now as I don't have access to the CK).

However, the big problem will be to add the actual animations to the cat model, because even if you add behavior to the cat it would attack but stay stiff, as in the CatMeat mod.

The person you might get help from is the creator of the Godzilla mod, who has done somewhat similar work when creating it.

Also, about my progress : you might have seen the thread by ShadeAnimator, who has basically solved creating animations for Fallout 4. I also didn't check if there was a thread, but it is possible to edit behavior files from the Creation Kit directly. So, I will finish the tool, but both later and without rush (as it isn't a priority - sorry blender users, you'll have to ask 3DsMax people fro conversions for a while still).

It's been slow and tedious but I've got the behavior files to the point that custom attack data shows up for CatRace in the attack data tab but I'm still trying to figure out how to route that through the state machines and into animations. (plan is to use existing animations)

As for editing behavior files from the CK, I thought that strictly required the havok content tools? (which, I have, but they crash when trying to load the FO4 hkx files...) How would that be done from the CK?

I get error message:

"Error: Unable to access jarfile hkxpack-cli.jar"

I downloaded the hkxpack but the .jar file that its requesting its not there.... not sure if I'm missing something here.

thanks

tl;dr : what you want to do (create animations) isn't possible yet.

Now that you know that, you can read the context below.

Judging by your post history, using HKXPack isn't what you want to do. You'll want HKXAnim, which is ANOTHER tool and which isn't working at all yet... so it isn't out.

Also, just a reminder : the tool you're trying to use provides raw data, nothing more... like :

47 255 247 127 186 47 255 247 127 233 47 255 247 127 251 63 0 0
0 29 0 1 0 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 30 30 0 16 170 73 63 124 189 185 64 142

Good luck making a new animation from that, because I've been trying for about a month and I'm not yet close to finishing.

You'll only need to use the HKXPack tool to analyze HKX files, or maybe edit them roughly. You CAN'T use them to create animations.

Now, if you really want to open and/or edit existing HKX files with HKXPack (I can always be mistaken), then you HAVE to know already what a path is, what is a working directory and what the above command does in detail before, and if you don't to learn it by yourself. I mean, it's kind of the ABC of studying computer things and/or reverse engineering on WIndows, and I feel like I'd be doing you a disservice by explaining the solution (even with context) while what you are trying to do is something nobody (you can ask) knows yet.

"If any of the above instructions seems too difficult, then you won't need the tool." -The post you just quoted

I've been reading this read, and many have been asking about animations.. but not the one that I have, I think, sorry if I missed it though. I only want to know if your tool can extract the names of the animation events. I am not interested in creating NEW animations. I require these to in order to work with OnAnimationEvent. Also wanting to add them to the wiki. Idle animations in the CK obviously is not the same thing.

Edit: Read your post about it being possible to edit behavior files in the CK.. I should do some poking around then.. but again, I just want to know the names (they will be strings to pass into the OnAnimationEvent).

Edited by TummaSuklaa

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...