Porting content from other games

Im curious about the whole Requiem of the Capital Wasteland Mod. (Fallout 3 and NV played to gether)

is that allowed aswell? Seems to be a repeat of Morroblivion.

I am loving it myself but just curious..

A Requiem for the Capital Wasteland is purely a script that allows data from a legitimate copy of Fallout 3 to be used along side New Vegas. The mod is impossible to run without Fallout 3 being fully installed with all of the .bsa files being needed and therefore should not be considered as a 'port'. Furthermore the author of the mod has not uploaded any files from Fallout 3 and therefore is not breaching any copyright laws.

An example of another mod that does this would be Baldur's Gate Trillogy, the mod that merges all of the Baldur's Gate games and their expansions into one huge game. All it uses is a script to copy over data from one legitimate copy of the original Baldur's Gate to the sequal. Just like A Requiem for the Capital Wasteland does.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im curious about the whole Requiem of the Capital Wasteland Mod. (Fallout 3 and NV played to gether)

is that allowed aswell? Seems to be a repeat of Morroblivion.

I am loving it myself but just curious..

A Requiem for the Capital Wasteland is purely a script that allows data from a legitimate copy of Fallout 3 to be used along side New Vegas. The mod is impossible to run without Fallout 3 being fully installed with all of the .bsa files being needed and therefore should not be considered as a 'port'. Furthermore the author of the mod has not uploaded any files from Fallout 3 and therefore is not breaching any copyright laws.

An example of another mod that does this would be Baldur's Gate Trillogy, the mod that merges all of the Baldur's Gate games and their expansions into one huge game. All it uses is a script to copy over data from one legitimate copy of the original Baldur's Gate to the sequal. Just like A Requiem for the Capital Wasteland does.

My understanding is that's exactly how morroblivion worked.

My understanding is that's exactly how morroblivion worked.

The Morroblivion FAQ claims otherwise, it says it was removed from the Nexus "due to some apparent licensing issues with using textures from Morrowind in Oblivion".

• 1 month later...

What about this like scenario: You happen to see cool item/armor/weapon/thing you want in Fallout/Elderscrolls/Dragon Age universe. You are talented modder with lots of experience with all kinds of modding, texturing and modeling programs and you use only the picture of the item and make the model/textures/sounds etc. by yourself and manage to make exact copy of the item, with exception that you created it with your own "hands" and you have proof of doing so. Would those kinds of mods be allowed to be uploaded i.e. http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=42705 ?

In my country copyright laws don't concern "stealing" ideas (i.e. nanosuit) therefore you could do what I described and have no problems with anyone (except critics or someone who doesn't like the mod ofc), but as Nexus is hosted from USA(?) and it's servers are located in USA/UK, the laws of those countries are involved which I have no info how they think about "stealing" ideas...

What about this like scenario: You happen to see cool item/armor/weapon/thing you want in Fallout/Elderscrolls/Dragon Age universe. You are talented modder with lots of experience with all kinds of modding, texturing and modeling programs and you use only the picture of the item and make the model/textures/sounds etc. by yourself and manage to make exact copy of the item, with exception that you created it with your own "hands" and you have proof of doing so. Would those kinds of mods be allowed to be uploaded i.e. http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=42705 ?

In my country copyright laws don't concern "stealing" ideas (i.e. nanosuit) therefore you could do what I described and have no problems with anyone (except critics or someone who doesn't like the mod ofc), but as Nexus is hosted from USA(?) and it's servers are located in USA/UK, the laws of those countries are involved which I have no info how they think about "stealing" ideas...

It's fine by the Nexus's rules, as long as no content from the original game is ripped and used. Modding is defined as fan art or tribute, and thus there's no infringement that I'm aware of.

And the Nexus is UK based.

What about this like scenario: You happen to see cool item/armor/weapon/thing you want in Fallout/Elderscrolls/Dragon Age universe. You are talented modder with lots of experience with all kinds of modding, texturing and modeling programs and you use only the picture of the item and make the model/textures/sounds etc. by yourself and manage to make exact copy of the item, with exception that you created it with your own "hands" and you have proof of doing so. Would those kinds of mods be allowed to be uploaded i.e. http://www.newvegasn...le.php?id=42705 ?

It would also be simmilar to what a painter would call a 'master copy,' Where say someone wants to learn how to paint/draw uses an already existing drawing, like say Durur's hands in prayer or Manet's Dancers, and try to recreate the original.

But if you are creating a 'recreation' of something I would highly suggest that you keep a detailed log of screenshots through the process in order to firmly cement that it is a unique and self made object.

Although the Nanosuit there was a bad example. I'd suggest almost hourly/daily progression (depending on how massive/detailed the object is) as to make it akin to a 'flip book' from point a to b.

So, if I understand it correctly there is no problem to use a pic as reference to an armor as long as the mesh and everything else is made from scratch (and you can show that it wasn't just ripped). Is that the case even if the pic is of an armor from DLC?

Reason I ask is that I liked the concept of the "fugitive armor" DLC for DA2, but would like it for DA:O. I know how to do it from scratch myself, but could I later release such a mod to the public without getting yelled at?

EDIT: Usually I don't mind at all if the developers wishes to earn extra money by putting up new armor as DLC. Its just that I want to use it in DA:O, not DA2.

Edited by amycus

So, if I understand it correctly there is no problem to use a pic as reference to an armor as long as the mesh and everything else is made from scratch (and you can show that it wasn't just ripped). Is that the case even if the pic is of an armor from DLC?

Reason I ask is that I liked the concept of the "fugitive armor" DLC for DA2, but would like it for DA:O. I know how to do it from scratch myself, but could I later release such a mod to the public without getting yelled at?

EDIT: Usually I don't mind at all if the developers wishes to earn extra money by putting up new armor as DLC. Its just that I want to use it in DA:O, not DA2.

@amycus; I can't see any issue with using game resources as a visual reference, "I made mine look like the official stuff, but it's all my own work."

And in the case of using things from DA2 in DA:O, (and vice versa) we've already heard from BioWare that there's no problem doing so with the vanilla game assets.

• 2 weeks later...

So, if you make some game and get it licensed and blah, blah, blah, etc.

Could you port content from your game to others?

If you have the copyright, yes. If you've sold it off to a parent company, no.