Porting content from other games

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So why is this mod okay but mine isn't?

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1445

All he did was remix the song, but he used the original files.

See also the Nexus Terms of Service. :armscrossed:

Relevant extract:

o If you see a file that breaches these rules it does not mean that file has been allowed to remain by the Nexus staff and that all files of similar content are OK. Nexus staff might not have seen the file so report the file if you are unsure.

This might not be a question about porting resources from one game or another, but it's still a question about using other people's resources outside this site and put it into a game. I know that like always you need proper permission from the original creator to use it, but assuming that one does get permission, what kind of proof is needed if questions later arise?

I ask this because of this thread: http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/474929-armor-from-3ds-max-into-oblivion/page__gopid__3893586#entry3893586

Thought it was better to ask the moderators here than me just writing what I assume would be enough as proof.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the quick response. That would never happen because I believe in abiding by copyright laws. I've had the idea of combining them for some time, but would never distribute them, whether it was for profit or otherwise. That would be considering hacking or piracy or both, if I'm not mistaken.

Again, thank you for the clarification, sir.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to chime in abit here.

I moderate over on Capcom Forums, and we get this question a lot.

Usually someone wanting to add content to PC game (let says RE pc copy) which doesn't have Mod tools outright. Or a student wanting to create a game with Mega Man sprites.

Its different for each company. I know Square-Enix are big on taking content down like hawks. But Capcom's stance on it is pretty much this.

- If your not making money on it, Its ok

- If your not using it for self gain (get famous or a job)

- or using content in wrong manner. (like a certain fighting game that breaks a lot of LP Copyright laws)

Capcom (NA and Euro) generally don't care (Yes, Lawyers are payed to step in if they see it, and its them usually stepping in)

Mods (on Capcom) will give the Ok. (if all else we ask Greg (current forum head) or we bug Sven (CEO of Capcom)

I Know Capcom Japan is big on "No" for usage. But that is limited to Japan.

I bring this up, Since recently i got a PM on Capcom mention they were told to NOT make mods of Monster Hunter. Which isn't true. We encourage awesome mods! We love seeing them and showing them around office and making sure Fans see them! =3

I'm not employee of Capcom, just a 6+ Moderator and are stance hasn't change much. They get a bad rap when Youtube closes stuff....and its not even us removing junk.

We still need an official stance from someone with the power to issue it at Capcom. From your post it seems their policy is to look the other way until forced to look at something by the lawyers - and by then it's too late. A lawyers first instinct is to automatically say NO to any request. Sometimes an executive can override the knee-jerk response of the lawyers.

We would love to see Capcom join with CD Projekt (The Witcher) and GSC (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.) in supporting modding by opening up their assets for fair use. :thumbsup:

... We would love to see Capcom join with CD Projekt (The Witcher) and GSC (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.) in supporting modding by opening up their assets for fair Community use. :thumbsup:

Fixed that for ya'. :wink:

("fair use" has a specific legal meaning under US copyright law. What modders want to do with others' copyrighted materials, in making and distributing their mods anyway, doesn't fit any of them.)