How to make a monster

Combine99

Hi there, I was hoping to create a couple of bone monsters to add to my game (and maybe yours too) but I don't know which bones to use. There are 2 different sets of bones available in the clutter section of the skyrim BSA; prop and static, and i was wondering what's the difference between them?

Hmm, I see well for some reason when I created a bone wolf a while back it ended up all dismembered when I exported it as a nif. I mean all the leg bones were floating inches apart but only after i exported it. I thought maybe this was because of the meshes I used. What is the difference anyways just to know.

I have another query, is there a skeleton in the skyrim meshes BSA that comes skinned? What I'm getting at here is that most creature meshes come with bones (animation bones not actual) but I cant seem to find a skeleton mesh that comes with animation bones. I was going to start out with a skeleton follower.

I'm totally confused :/
To get any model as an actor, you have to skin it to an existing skeleton in the game, and it's a long, tedious process to weight the skin bones.
Seems you should go lookup skinning tutorials for skyrim first before you make ur own monster.
Existing armor skinning tutorials tell you exactly how to do it.

kind of lost too ...

Here is a mod for a few sweet skeleton followers ... here

Not sure if that's what your asking but it may help what you're looking for.

Static usually means no collision references. Something viewed but not interacted with.

The .nif files have far less data in them as they are not meant to be an object.

They are more of a scenery item.

Edited by NexusComa

Oh I see so its probably best to go with prop mesh since they have collision. As for the skinning: when I open the draugr in 3Ds Max it has a skeleton already present and comes fully skinned. As in if I grab the "foot bone" the models foot moves with it, but the skeleton does not have any such luck.

Edited by Combine99

Its complicated.

Custom bone must be animated properlly on its recent animation.

The problem is Updated CK cannot add new animation instead replace its recent vanilla behavior files.

I dont know about other creation engine.

check my dinosaur MOD on here

Hi guys.

I want to share my recent Updated mod in my channel

• 5 weeks later...

Alright lets put this topic to bed for good. What I was referring to was the lack of skinning in the skeleton nif file and that was because I was using the wrong nif. For those of you out there that are also interested in making a custom skeleton npc mesh you want to use the "DraugrSeleton.nif" file located in the meshes/actors/draugr/characterassets folder in the skyrim - meshes.bsa. Thanks for your help everyone and good luck on all your endeavors.

Edited by Combine99